Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #31
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The benefit of a USB cable connection is that, for most devices at least, it acts both as a data connection and charges the machine at the same time. Eg, with a Gen3, plugging it into a PC for 10-15 minutes a day is enough to keep the battery fully charged.
Er... You are aware that doing so is a sure way to quickly kill the battery life of your reader, right?
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #32
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Er... You are aware that doing so is a sure way to quickly kill the battery life of your reader, right?
Actually, I have to disagree with that. From what i've been reading around the problems caused by topping up rechargeable batteries were confined to NiMg, NiCd and early Lithium batteries.

In fact doing a full discharge will probably cause more harm then good.

I've seen articles about this in a number of places, but was able to find 2 of the quiet quickly.

Articles

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

http://www.centralhobbies.com/instru...l/lithium.html
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #33
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Well, I don't know about the prs-505, but I do know that my prs-500 which I bought second hand has had it's battery life halved in less that a year because the guy who sold it to me used its stand daily.

Considering what I otherwise see with laptops (new ones too), I tend to think the writers of those articles as either completely wrog or flat out lying to preserve business interest.
Take your pick.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Considering what I otherwise see with laptops (new ones too), I tend to think the writers of those articles as either completely wrog or flat out lying to preserve business interest.
Take your pick.
Some laptops discharge and recharge the battery when connected to main power supply. I also think it is the temperature that is the main problem for laptop batteries. Also notice that the lifetime for a battery of this type is only a couple of years.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If one has a device with a replaceable battery (Kindle, CyBook, etc) battery lifetime is less of an issue than it is for those devices where one has to return it to the manufacturer to get the battery replaced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 AM   #36
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If one has a device with a replaceable battery (Kindle, CyBook, etc) battery lifetime is less of an issue than it is for those devices where one has to return it to the manufacturer to get the battery replaced.
Which is one of the reasons I opted for the BeBook, which uses a standard Nokia cellphone battery.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote