Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
thejoo52
thejoo52 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62ML
Endnotes (hyperlinks) are broken on i62ML

I just got the Boox i62ML in the mail the other day (for which I created a thread regarding the packaging) and I've just really started getting into it.

I'm reading a non-fiction book which I started on my first generation Kindle, all the while thinking, "A touch screen will be great for navigating to endnotes (instead of having to guide a cursor to the proper place on the page using a 5-way button)." I was quite wrong. The implementation on the i62ML is fairly broken.

PDF Reader supports the hyperlink feature necessary for endnotes, but with the way the touchscreen registers my pressing it, 9 times out of 10 I am unsuccessful in navigating to the endnotes section. When I try to tap the endnote link, the device usually moves to the next or previous page, or it does nothing, at which point I'm left at a loss because sometimes it also does nothing for a few seconds when it's simply loading the endnotes page. This is a description of the current optimal behavior.

What's worse is that the device will often crash out of PDF Reader while I'm trying to push the number to get to an endnote, putting me back to the home screen and having lost my place in the book. I find this to be unacceptable for a marketed product (my 5 year old Kindle implemented this feature just fine, albeit with physical buttons). I've searched the forums for a possible fix for this issue with no success. Does anyone have any advice? I'd like to have known more about this device before I bought it, but problems like this would've been hard to detect based on internet research alone.

tl;dr: Endnotes (that is, hyperlinks) in PDF Reader rarely register touch input properly and often cause crashes. Anyone have any fixes for this?

EDIT: I figure I aught to throw in my two cents on a possible fix; I would suggest limiting the page-turn gesture to a swipe. The fact that the device is trying to interpret whether my input was a tap to turn the page or a tap to follow the hyperlink causes the likelihood of activating the hyperlink to be minimal. Unless the tap is made with absolute precision (the target for which, by the way, is an unspecified area on the screen), it defaults to a page turn. This issue could be solved entirely by either making the target region for hyperlinks larger (as to make them more likely to trigger) or by limiting the page-turning gesture to be swipes only.

I realize a change like this would have sweeping consequences, but presuming as much as I can about the way the touchscreen seems to work, it seems like it wouldn't get in the way of much. What functionality aside from hyperlinks relies on short-tapping the screen during normal reading (that is, with no additional menus displayed (i.e. not dictionary, etc.))?

Last edited by thejoo52; 02-08-2013 at 11:58 AM.
thejoo52 is offline   Reply With Quote