Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The iPad Mini BLOWS the first generation Kindle Fire

Awkward title, but you clicked anyway, yes?

WOW, just WOW. This thing is great to read on. Someone said that magazines would be really hard without zooming in, well... On the Kindle Fire, magazines weren't readable at all, but you can easily still see very little text clearly on the Mini. Comic books look GREAT, no need for panel zooming, easily read by swiping through like the real thing.

As for Kindle books, I had to make text much, much, much bigger and remove margins, but I find it really enjoyable.

Really nice to type on too. Can you use it with one hand? NO WAY! It's a little awkward compared to my Fire, and I have pretty big but skinny hands too.

Anyway, those are my two cents for anyone interested, better me than someone who hasn't used a KF for the last year.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Really ??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Awkward title, but you clicked anyway, yes?

WOW, just WOW. This thing is great to read on. Someone said that magazines would be really hard without zooming in, well... On the Kindle Fire, magazines weren't readable at all, but you can easily still see very little text clearly on the Mini. Comic books look GREAT, no need for panel zooming, easily read by swiping through like the real thing.

As for Kindle books, I had to make text much, much, much bigger and remove margins, but I find it really enjoyable.

Really nice to type on too. Can you use it with one hand? NO WAY! It's a little awkward compared to my Fire, and I have pretty big but skinny hands too.

Anyway, those are my two cents for anyone interested, better me than someone who hasn't used a KF for the last year.
Jessica,

Here are some comparisons:

1. Price:KFHD7-32=$ 249; iPad Mini=$ 329
2. Storage: KFHD7-32=32 Gb; iPad Mini=16 Gb
3. Screen Resolution: KFHD7-32=1280X800; iPad Mini=1024x768
4. Screen ppi: KFHD7-32=216; iPad Mini=162
5. WiFi: KFHD7-32=double antenna; iPad Mini=single antenna
6. Autobrightness: KFHD7-32=yes; iPad Mini=no

Of course, both beat the KF1G by a wide margin.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is auto brightness on it. That's the first thing I turned off.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Jessica,

Are you working on commission?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Are you working on commission?
Why would anybody pay commission for a simple statement of facts freely available elsewhere?

Jessica's OP, however ("WOW, just WOW"), maybe.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Jessica,

But...LOVE is not rational. You can't beat Apple design, they say.
Of course, I am still partial to my Galaxy Tab.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The Nexus 7 blows them both. And it's quad core too.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Raw specs don't tell the whole story. The device is a system of many different parts. I think that a lot of people here forget that. There are a lot of small touches that can make a world of difference, and in my experience Apple does a great job at that in both their hardware and software.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Raw specs don't tell the whole story. The device is a system of many different parts. I think that a lot of people here forget that. There are a lot of small touches that can make a world of difference, and in my experience Apple does a great job at that in both their hardware and software.
That being the case, Apple should use this display on the iPad 4. Consumers won't care and Apple can make even more money per device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard

The problem is that Tegra doesn't matter, unless it's one of the big publishers, no one is actually developing games for it. There are more devices that DON'T support it than there are ones that DO. Heck, none of my Android devices can run them.

And the experience on something like the Nexus 7 could be better, but there just isn't the framework to do so. So until Google actually introduces better tablet optimized views, it's not going to change. HTML5 doesn't even help in this case because every device renders it completely different because of old webkit versions being shipped with them.

I didn't bring up the ecosystem because it isn't fair to compare the two for that reason. I think developers would LOVE to make better apps, it just isn't possible yet.

Resolution doesn't matter, it's the readability that counts. I have a S2 Skyrocket that has a 800x480 screen. It has the best blacks I've seen on ANYTHING, including my iPhone 4 and Late 2011 MacBook Pro. And like I said, comics look great on the Mini and the slightly bigger screen makes all the difference. It has more real estate.

Storage isn't a problem. I just loaded 100+ apps and I have 6.7 GB left. That's more than enough for me.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I would certainly hope that for the price the Mini would be better than a previous gen $200 device.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The Nexus 7 blows them both. And it's quad core too.
Except my friend has a Nexus 7, and magazine reading sucks. Comic book reading is totally fine though. The lcd is dull, because it is not high quality as Apples. It depends on what apps you want not the specs of the display or the tablet. This reminds me of the early Intel vs. AMD pissing match but now we do it with tablets. Besides I heard the Nvidia Tegra 3 really sucks and you should wait for the next generation Tegra 4.

Plus I like Apple's gaming eco-system, there are exclusive games that are not available on Android or even on the iPhone i.e. Ticket to Ride is one example.

If we went display specs the upcoming B&N Nook HD "blows" the Nexus 7 away too. Of course B&N eco-system is laughably non-existent, they should have stuck with the Google Play store but of course B&N would not have made any money off of those apps. If they are making any money at all.

Could Apple have gone with a higher display? I don't think so at this time. Perhaps in 2 years.

Last edited by tron_1970; 11-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
tron_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_1970 View Post
Could Apple have gone with a higher display? I don't think so at this time. Perhaps in 2 years.
Yes, they could. We have now a tablet with 300dpi, a mini with the resolution of the ipad3/4 would be around the same dpi, so no excuse. Expect a retina mini within 12 months, if not less.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I would certainly hope that for the price the Mini would be better than a previous gen $200 device.
The sleeper so to speak may well be the new Nooks, even better than the Fire HDs.

I read enough from reviewers that no matter what was thrown into those devices, the Nook's screen was top notch whether it was e-books, comics, games, etc.

Now the jury is out since I haven't seen end user experiences from those I've come to trust.

We all know what holds back the Nooks which those reviewers with demo units reiterate about the ecosystem but if the screen display is what is of upmost importantance for quality for what you use it for, ... but again, the jury is still out.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-03-2012 at 03:12 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Why would anybody pay commission for a simple statement of facts freely available elsewhere?

Jessica's OP, however ("WOW, just WOW"), maybe.
It was not a simple statement of facts, it was just plain gratuitous. Imagine this was real life and you were telling someone how happy you were with a new purchase. What kind of person would reply with the specs of a rival product, implying that yours is inferior in every way? [Deleted by moderator]

If I may quote another forum member: [Moderator: Please do not quote other member's words from another thread. They carry no more weight than your own. If you must, you should give a link back to the original context.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-03-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: explicit rudeness to another member
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote