Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
A little disappointed in the pricing. I'd have considered it at 119, 139 is too high. It took me a long time to buy the NST and only when it dropped to 79 on Black Friday did I take the plunge (reading for me has always been "free" since I use libraries). I can't really justify paying 70% more for another NST.

Having said that, after I got the NST, I regretted taking so long to get one. I figured I save $20, but lost out on months of e-reading from the time the NST came out. So maybe I'll have the same revelation about the Glowlight.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #17
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
Must not be a very good clip on light. Mine hasn't finished a set of batteries yet and is probably up to at least 20hrs of use on the two lithium button batteries in it. Built in light would be extremely nice, but I can't justify spending $140 on a new ereader simply to get one with a built in light. If mine died tomorrow and crazily wasn't under warranty suddenly, I'd deffinitely get one. That or if I can talk my wife in to inheriting my current one and actually using an ereader (she uses her ipad, and that took about 9 months of pulling teeth to get her to do that. Only willing to because of a large number of free books she can read by swithing to ebooks).
I use a Mighty Flex with AAA batteries, not button, so I can use rechargeable.
That way I am saving a lot.

Having said that, I do own a Nook Simple Touch and I love it. For some things. If they could develop a better SW (infamous collections handlings) I would really ok. I am not so sure that just the addition of a internal lighting system is a fundamental step ahead, I thinks it looks a very small thing.
Unless there is something else (CPU, memory etc.)
I want to wait and see it before giving the last judgement. I only hope it shall be firmware compatible with the actual NST.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Reading a couple more reviews and looking at pictures, that built in front lighting looks really, really good and I can't help wondering if the anti-glare coating wouldn't help a bit in some outdoor/strong lighting reading situations where you are holding the NST at an angle (I don't find that a big problem, but I can still get some annoying reflections in the right circumstances).

Still and all, unless I need to get a 2nd ebook reader, it just isn't enough for me to upgrade unless they get ridiculously cheap at some point. I really can't help feeling like this is an interim, "We developed an awesome front lighting system, so we'll slap it in the current hardware and ship it to have a nice advantage on the Kindle line to grab some Amazon market share" release. If this really is the "next generation" of ebook reader for Barnes and Noble and not simply an interim release before a complete Nook ST upgrade sometime in the next 4-10 months, then I think B&N is going to get pasted when Amazon releases their second generation Kindle touch (which I suspect would probably be a summer to winter release for them).

So that said, I think I'll just hold off and see what the next fully new generation/major upgrade gets me in an ebook reader. My wants are slightly faster processor (which can be done AND have lower power drain), a bit more built in memory...especially if they aren't going to fix the memory card shelving issue and keep restricting the internal memory to 246MB for the user and something to improve the screen. I'd prefer not color eInk...I just want something with a bit higher resolution and a bit more contrast and grey scale steps. Faster screen response/less ghosting wouldn't be a sad thing to see either.

I also wouldn't mind if B&N added sound like the kindle touch, but it isn't something I am really looking for in an ebook reader...I just wouldn't mind if it was there (unless pay a large monetary, size or weight penalty since I'd probably rarely ever use it).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
Reading a couple more reviews and looking at pictures, that built in front lighting looks really, really good and I can't help wondering if the anti-glare coating wouldn't help a bit in some outdoor/strong lighting reading situations where you are holding the NST at an angle (I don't find that a big problem, but I can still get some annoying reflections in the right circumstances).

Still and all, unless I need to get a 2nd ebook reader, it just isn't enough for me to upgrade unless they get ridiculously cheap at some point. I really can't help feeling like this is an interim, "We developed an awesome front lighting system, so we'll slap it in the current hardware and ship it to have a nice advantage on the Kindle line to grab some Amazon market share" release. If this really is the "next generation" of ebook reader for Barnes and Noble and not simply an interim release before a complete Nook ST upgrade sometime in the next 4-10 months, then I think B&N is going to get pasted when Amazon releases their second generation Kindle touch (which I suspect would probably be a summer to winter release for them).

So that said, I think I'll just hold off and see what the next fully new generation/major upgrade gets me in an ebook reader. My wants are slightly faster processor (which can be done AND have lower power drain), a bit more built in memory...especially if they aren't going to fix the memory card shelving issue and keep restricting the internal memory to 246MB for the user and something to improve the screen. I'd prefer not color eInk...I just want something with a bit higher resolution and a bit more contrast and grey scale steps. Faster screen response/less ghosting wouldn't be a sad thing to see either.

I also wouldn't mind if B&N added sound like the kindle touch, but it isn't something I am really looking for in an ebook reader...I just wouldn't mind if it was there (unless pay a large monetary, size or weight penalty since I'd probably rarely ever use it).
I second that.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
To my way of thinking an e-reader without a light is as foolish a product as a car without headlights. Why should our E-reading experienced be dictated by day or artifical light. I have been using (and re-stocking on e-Bay) the Sony PRS-700 for 4 years now and the Nook with Glow light is the first new E-reader I am excited about. The Sony PRS-700 was a breakthrough when it was released but suffered from a poor E-ink display without the light and dismal sales because the technology required an additional glass screen to contain the light source. It was discontinued shortly after release and Sony never tried to re-invent the concept. For me the Nook with Glow light will be my first E-reader upgrade.
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #21
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
To my way of thinking an e-reader without a light is as foolish a product as a car without headlights. Why should our E-reading experienced be dictated by day or artifical light.
So I guess all those things called "physical books" are also foolish? I think the idea of having a built-in light is a good one (as long as it is bright enough, which I worry about), but I think your analogy is a little over-the-top.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
RAH. I did perface my comments with "E-reading", the anology stands.
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
To my way of thinking an e-reader without a light is as foolish a product as a car without headlights.
Cost, weight, battery life, light quality. Until those issues were addressed, which apparently, hopefully, they are now, the solutions that work for pbooks also work fine for eink readers and was a perfectly viable, successful, non-foolish choice.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Have had Sony's, Kindles, Nook Classic, Nook Color and NST. No doubt the NST is my favorite. Use it durng the day and my tablet at night.

Now, an NST with built in light is the ticket for me. I have so many family members to give my current NST to, I'll be pre-ordering this week.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I am tempted to, as I think my wife would actually use my nook ST at this point. She has a neighborhood book club now and since the books have generally been free or much cheaper for ebook versions (strangely) than the print, she has been reading them on her iPad even though she prefers paper still.

Though I still just can't get over the "high" price for simply a built in light (no matter how good). I am still going to stick with my "$99 or less price" or the next fully upgraded/next generation model before I upgrade and gift my current nook ST to my wife.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #26
yoitzo
yoitzo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm totally tempted to upgrade despite the fact that I upgraded from a classic to the ST 6 months ago. I never could figure out where to clip my dang mighty bright without getting a glare and without feeling like I'm going to break my ST (I swear sometimes i hear it creak as i'm clipping it). I wish BN would have a trade in program.
yoitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think it would be a good idea to wait for reviews. I worry that the new glow-light won't be bright enough. Remember those transparent plastic LED frames you could buy that you placed over a physical book for reading. I think a big complaint about them was that they weren't bright enough. Of course, a built-in light on an e-book reader should be more integrated into the whole design and might be better. We shall see...
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Nate from The Digital Reader has tried one in store (and mentions in a follow-up post that he has bought one).
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...now-in-stores/
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Nate from The Digital Reader has tried one in store (and mentions in a follow-up post that he has bought one).
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...now-in-stores/
Thanks for the link. I find this quote interesting:

Quote:
The light layer was remarkably thin and I had trouble seeing it when it was not on. I’ve heard B&N insiders describe it as the equivalent of a glare protector and I do think it is that thin.

At its brightest I think the Nooklit would be easy to read on, and I can see how this might be a useful option for irregular lighting conditions.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I understand my local store has the demo available already but not for sale yet.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote