Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
chrxr
Researcher
chrxr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Pausing SMIL audio (iBooks)

Does anyone know if it is possible to pause SMIL audio half-way through a page of a fixed-layout book in iBooks, and then resume the audio by clicking a button? Either through JavaScript or in the SMIL file itself?

I've found some hints to do with <excl> in the SMIL file, but I'm not sure if this is supported in iBooks. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
chrxr
chrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
chrxr
Researcher

Looks like a lot of people are interested in this, but no one has any answers. From my own investigation I'm pretty sure that Apple's implementation of SMIL is very limited. I can't get any timing elements other than clipBegin and clipEnd to work on the audio, and looking at the EPUB3 spec no others are mentioned. I conclude from this that it isn't possible to pause the audio halfway through a page, and restart on a button click using only the SMIL file. If anyone has any further clues please speak up!

Last edited by chrxr; 11-29-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, I think not that many people are really interested in SMIL, but just want to know of another failure in iBooks....
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
chrxr
Researcher

Hmm, you may be right.

Tags
audio, epub, ibooks, read aloud, smil