Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Battery usage: Shutdown or Standby...

I have been recording the dates when I have charged my 650 since I got it in late September.

I have recharged it when the battery meter showed 2 bars or 50% charge used/remaining.

For the first three months I have been powering off the reader between reading sessions, for the lasy two weeks I have been putting it on standby between reading sessions.

Here are the dates it has been charged and the number of days between the charges:

Charge dates and days between charges:
Powering off/shut down reader between sessions.
(date format DD/MM/YYYY)

23/09/2010 - first charge, full charge overnight on date of purchase.
26/10/2010 - 34 days since last charge.
28/11/2010 - 34 days since last charge.
19/12/2010 - 21 days since last charge.

On standby between reading sessions.
31/12/2010 - 12 days since last charge.
11/01/2011 - 12 days since last charge.
25/01/2011 - 13 days since last charge.

Averaging 3 - 5 hours reading/usage per day.

So it would seem that the battery lasts longer between charges when powering off/shutting down between sessions rather than putting it in standby.

Over the lifetime of the ereader's lithium ion battery (3-4 years) the less it is charged the longer it should last. Lithium ion batteries usually have a 'lifetime' of 300 - 400 charges, so the less often it is charged the longer it should last ie 12 -14 charges a year (approx. monthly charges) with powering off the reader betweens sessions as opposed to fortnightly charge, 26 - 30 charges a year, when putting the ereader on standy between reading sessions.

I will be continuing to put it on standby for the rest of January to see what battery usage is like in standby mode.

Of course all this may be moot, who knows what ereader devices will be available in 3-4 years time.

Last edited by MaxLV; 01-24-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Updated charging figures.
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How many books do you have on the reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I find that powering down when I don't plan to read for 8-10 hours will make the battery last longer between charges.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I find that powering down when I don't plan to read for 8-10 hours will make the battery last longer between charges.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
With my 505 and 600 I found the best thing is to not use the memory cards, or at least not to leave them in while the device is in standby.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

I read on average 2-3 hours a day and I only use the sleep mode and have been getting around 14 days going from full charge to no bars.

You are getting 12 days going down to 2 bars and reading 3-5 hours when you use sleep mode? either I have a rubbish battery or you have a great one.
Im not sure what difference how many books on your reader makes but I have around 550 on there.
If I delete most of them will I be more likely to double my battery time???
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Im not sure what difference how many books on your reader makes but I have around 550 on there.
Depends on what mode you are using.
In the sleep mode the number of books doesn't matter.
In the full shutdown mode it might matter because I think when the reader starts up it got to rescan the local library or something like that. So, in PRS-505 shutting down would deplete the battery faster. Maybe 650 is different or the two users who report to do it and have longer battery life have a small number of books on their readers.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
608 on a 4GB SD card.
I dont load any books into the main memory.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
608 on a 4GB SD card.
I dont load any books into the main memory.
Hmm. Maybe it doesn't re-scan the library as it used to do before.
I have 100 in the main memory, which is less taxing on the battery than external one and use sleep mode only. I read about 2-3 hours top per day and if only I read and use dictionary not too much it, the battery lasts for 15 days from full up to absolute zero.
I might try full shutdown for the sake of experiment. I think I can find a period of time between 23.00 till about 10.00 when I don't use the reader.
We will see. I will report back some day in the future.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
MaxLV
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
I read on average 2-3 hours a day and I only use the sleep mode and have been getting around 14 days going from full charge to no bars.

You are getting 12 days going down to 2 bars and reading 3-5 hours when you use sleep mode? either I have a rubbish battery or you have a great one.
Yes, 12 days from a full charge to 50% used/remaining when putting it in sleep mode between sessions.
I'll be using sleep mode for the rest of this month to see what battery usage is like compared to shutdown mode.

I have 608 books loaded on 4GB SD card, no books in main memory.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
Yes, 12 days from a full charge to 50% used/remaining when putting it in sleep mode between sessions.
I'll be using sleep mode for the rest of this month to see what battery usage is like compared to shutdown mode.

I have 608 books loaded on 4GB SD card, no books in main memory.

I might try using a card instead of the main memory and see where that gets me
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
IME the SD card slot drains the battery even if you never use the reader.

I get 14 days out of my 350 regardless of how much I read.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
I only use the internal memory and typically have about 100 books on my 650.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I only use the internal memory and typically have about 100 books on my 650.
Thanks.
Your reader's usage is basically the same as mine.
100 books.
one 8-10 hours gap.

I am more and more curious to try
Gotta wait till it discharges to 1 bar, then I will start the test.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I am more and more curious to try
I have started the test.
Fully charged it over night 12.01-13.01, disconnected in the morning 13.01. The first night I have forgotten to shut down the reader but after that I do it.
Let's see how long it will take between recharging this time.