Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #31
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Stanza is, literally years ahead of other reading apps. It would be a great loss if it is smothered in this manner. Folks on the Calibre project should start thinking about solving this problem.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #32
bbr
bbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with others

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Write one
I actually considered doing exactly that.

But.... my skills at cocoa are rather limited.
And, making it in Titanium using javascript - parsing epubs and displaying them. Well... Let's just say Titanium isn't known for it's stability when parsing XML type objects. If they got that memory management up to par though, perhaps it'd be an option to start an open source stanza alternative.

For the near future though, I suspect I'll just switch to BlueFire, and then troll their forums with suggestions and requests for more features to make it more like Stanza.
bbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
I actually considered doing exactly that.

But.... my skills at cocoa are rather limited.
And, making it in Titanium using javascript - parsing epubs and displaying them. Well... Let's just say Titanium isn't known for it's stability when parsing XML type objects. If they got that memory management up to par though, perhaps it'd be an option to start an open source stanza alternative.
A buddy of mine is experimenting with Scala-he loves it, so far.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #34
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
For the near future though, I suspect I'll just switch to BlueFire, and then troll their forums with suggestions and requests for more features to make it more like Stanza.
I love Stanza and find BlueFire rather limiting. There is no metadata editing and there is (unless the issue has been resolved) a memory issue if you have too many eBooks in BlueFire. I have over 2000 eBooks in Stanza and from what I can recall BlueFire could only cope with less than 500. Any more than that and BlueFire kept crashing.
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
briel
Member: Cary Briel
briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.briel writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Wow, that's a shame. Just downloaded on IOS 4. Thanks for the update, before I became more invested in it!
CB
briel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #36
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Another dirty trick from Amazon. I will stay away from Kindle Store from now onwards. That Kindle application is vile compared to Stanza. This should be seen as an indirect but huge blow on our beloved Calibre as well. I will never buy a ’Kindie' either.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #37
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Looks like I'll be throwing my support to Bluefire....
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #38
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I never bothered with Stanza, as it doesn't support a dual-column mode for the iPad. (I find one big column of text awkward on a device this size)
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #39
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Oh! Just started using it a month ago and it's over too soon. Such a flexible app. Maybe someone should make a clone. Time to look for alternatives.

Shame on dirty tricks and manipulations by Amazon. They have lost dignity for monopoly.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #40
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
That sucks. Stanza is my favorite comic book reader on the ipad
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #41
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Although I do much prefer Stanza, I also like the readMe app since it allows you to customize the text and background colors much like Stanza does. Anyone know if readMe works under iOS5?
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #42
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikini View Post
Although I do much prefer Stanza, I also like the readMe app since it allows you to customize the text and background colors much like Stanza does. Anyone know if readMe works under iOS5?
Have you tried Bluefire Reader? If so, how does readMe compare? (I'd look myself but I hate to pay $1.99 for something I won't use. It's the principle.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #43
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
This... this is bad. Reaaaallly bad as I have my scientific library organized in Stanza >_<
I don't want to do it all over again by changing app! Perhaps I should check iBooks...
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #44
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
I'm looking for a decent ePub reader myself. I've been trying to like iBooks, but it wastes SO MUCH space. It doesn't even have a full screen reading mode like most other reading apps have (that is, remove the status bar and screen controls). Plus, it's a bit slow.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #45
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
I'm looking for a decent ePub reader myself. I've been trying to like iBooks, but it wastes SO MUCH space. It doesn't even have a full screen reading mode like most other reading apps have (that is, remove the status bar and screen controls). Plus, it's a bit slow.
Tap the page once and the onscreen controls, TOC, library link, and page gauge all disappear.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza