Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
tsam19
tsam19 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Question Best LED light for Kindle - Which one ?

Owning the 4g Kindle, whats the best LED light out there to clip on?

I saw this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Readin...item2c5f44926c

Any ideas, what do you use to light up your kindle at night?

Thanks
tsam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I wouldn't recommend it, it doesn't fit well and is generally awkward to use.... I got mine at the Dollar Store so only wasted $1. I now use this one by Verso which clips onto my cover.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1218441135869

In my opinion it would be hard to get a good light for under $10.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsam19 View Post
I saw this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Readin...item2c5f44926c

Any ideas, what do you use to light up your kindle at night?
I have that exact one! In a drawer.

Pros:
- cost me nearly nothing, came in a package with skins and hard cover and screen protectors, all for $10.
- has a neat push button that opens and positions the light and turns it on.

Cons:
- uses 3x AG13 button batteries. Stock up.
- How ya gonna hang it? This is one of the most important considerations in choosing a light.
a) directly on the Kindle
-- The attachment is tenuous, just a little of the clip is in use.
-- The metal clip will scratch your Kindle
-- The light is a full 4 inches vertically (i.e., measured straight up in the plane of the screen) above the top of the screen. Try getting the light so it doesn't shine in your eyes. I can't. The light can't be positioned much at all from where it automatically pops up.
b) attached to the cover, so the clip clamps fully down (but the light is still over 2" vertically from the top of the screen).
-- In the rare cover (maybe the Kindle lighted cover?) that allows space between the back cover and the Kindle, you can clip it on the back cover. But it'll scratch the back of your Kindle, unless you wrap the metal clip in something soft.
-- In most covers, which have no space between the back cover and the Kindle, it can't be attached there. The picture in your eBay link shows a case with no space between e-reader and back cover, but the clip is attached fully down. Guess where it must be attached? On the front cover, folded around to the back, because that's the only way you can have that 3/8" gap. Positioned so, the metal clip will scratch the back cover (not a big deal). Positioned so, when you want to close the cover, you need to ensure you take off the light first; otherwise, the whole apparatus comes flying forward and slams into your screen.

I like the Kandle directly attached to an e-reader. If you have your Kindle in a case, then the case plus Kindle are probably too thick for the Kandle to be positioned optimally. In that case, I'd go with something with a large clamp and the light on a longish flexible neck.

My favorite light is a different one ($10, bought in a bookstore, sorry, can't find a link), and has a similar clip attachment as the one you linked to, so I can't use it on my Kindle (I use it on a Sony's back cover which can swing away from the Sony, and I wrap the clip with duct tape so it doesn't scratch the back of the Sony). The light is stronger and can be positioned well, and it uses three AAA batteries.

Whew, TMI. Or at least too much written information. This needed a video.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great review... Expresses exactly what I wasn't able to verbalise when I said "awkward to use"!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
tsam19

Thumbs up

Yes the sales pictures always look good in advertising, but in reality the day to day usage isn't practical.

As the saying goes whenever buying something - 'you get what you pay for' applies to these cheap led lights.

I think I will go for one with a 'flexi' arm, with small clip.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-led-read...item2a1d517a6e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-P...item4165ab9d85

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIGHTWEDGE...item1e6aca5ea1

At least the clip can be attached to the leather case I have.

Thanks again
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
You're not going to like that one either. It's too big & will flop over your reader because of the weight. Try to find it in a store and not on eBay. You can return it at a store if you don't like it or it doesn't suit your needs but not so much on eBay.

Of those three you posted I'd say go for the Lightwedge one. I have both of the ones you show, two are basically the same thing, and I find the better of those to be the Lightwedge. It has a lighter clip and a smaller neck. The bigger clip makes the whole light flop around on the device itself and the longer neck doesn't stay in place as well as a smaller necked light. YMMV but that's my experience.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Get a decent headlamp. They give you 2-3power settings and are great whenever you need a flashlight because they allow you to use both hands. Not to mention, they are small.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
tsam19

Thumbs up Solved

Here I bought one from a pound (thrift) store in the UK today.

Nice and light - perfect!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	87520   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	87521   Click image for larger version

Name:	C.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	87522  
Old 06-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsam19 View Post
Here I bought one from a pound (thrift) store in the UK today.

Nice and light - perfect!!

That's the same one I have... I paid $15 Canadian for it. Please don't tell me you only paid a pound!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't use a light, but I bought my mom a Kandle (not the flex one) back when there was a deal on them and she likes it a lot.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
tsam19

Talking

Yes I admit I only paid £1 UK currency - $1.59 Canadian equivalent

They obviously made too many and dropped the prices way below the recommended price - make plenty and flood the market causing prices to drop

If you want any shipping out to you let me know

It's an absolute cracker, I can't believe it!

Last edited by tsam19; 06-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Tags
led light night kindle