Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #121
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I am still not sure if this is such a good idea though. For example, ex.39.42 will be exxeoxrw . Is that what we want?
Won't this make the whitespace between the verses even larger, since the whole "exxeoxrw" must be white, and then the verse number (in numerical form) would still have to be present as well?

i understand the desire to replace the periods with x (although I wonder if a thinner letter such as l would be unique), but replacing all numbers with letters seems it would be confusing for those who still use Kindle 1/2.

It is too bad Amazon has changed these things, as how it worked on earlier Kindles was very elegant.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #122
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Present Osnoava/Amazon adjusted method still best

I still like the present method of jn317 without periods or "x's" to get to the passage.

If you wanted to make it jnequ that would be fine also just leaving out the use of the <ALT> key.

Adding in the "x's" will complicate the entire entry.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #123
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Thanks for the input. Yes, the letter DVJ makes whitespace between the verses even larger.

I have just found out that Amazon does not trust us with spelling. The "number->letter" conversion does not create unique search result either. For unknown to me reason, the new Kindle fuzzy search function does not discriminate between "y" (i.e. 6 in our conversion) and "i" (8).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #124
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Using <ALT> keys it does work.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Yes, the letter DVJ makes whitespace between the verses even larger.

I have just found out that Amazon does not trust us with spelling. The "number->letter" conversion does not create unique search result either. For unknown to me reason, the new Kindle fuzzy search function does not discriminate between "y" (i.e. 6 in our conversion) and "i" (8).
Using jn316 and jn318 with the <ALT> keys does get to the correct verse each time. There is no confusion there.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #125
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sirmaru, you are right. What I meant is that with the standard DVJ jn.1.22, jn.12.2, and jn122 will find both 12:2 and 1:22 on the Kindle 3. While with the letter DVJ there will be a confusion of y and i.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #126
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
@osnova
Have you sold your technology to someone? Or is this a different technology? I've downloaded their book but haven't looked at it yet. Their description sounds an awful lot like yours.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWBMGK/...ksontheknob-20

It was listed in the October Kindle free stuff list.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #127
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Nope, don't know them. I am curious too to see if it's the same as my DVJ, and all I have now is a WiFi Kindle without a WiFi connection.

However, this phrase "just start typing a Bible reference in the lookup bar using the book abbreviation. The search results will come up automatically" makes me wondering if they are using the "dictionary" format. I've been toying with an idea of making a Bible as a dictionary. The downside is that you won't be able to search the text of the Bible itself.

Last edited by osnova; 10-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #128
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I see this Bible http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Bible-F...dp/B0032UYGE6/ and think, "What do I do wrong?"
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #129
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Differences: theirs is the God's Word translation (perhaps they own that). They use different abbreviations (Gene for Genesis) and slightly different symbolism. "gene 1:1" rather than your "gn.1.1" Theirs is easier to remember, since it's based on the names and symbolism bible readers already know.

Oh, their's is also wrong too .... searching for "ps 101:6" (their symbolism, and their list shows it does exist) ( they show a list of possibilities when I type P ... and when I make it PS ... a narrowed down list) but when I search for "ps 101:6" it takes me to "ps 100:1" and SHOWS that that's what it's taking me to. So it has errors. That was just my first random test.

However -- they may have gotten the idea from you. I can't tell.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #130
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
And yes, they are using the dictionary format. It's interesting and works well, because you get feedback immediately by showing a list of probables. But the verse you are looking for is not always the first in the list. But as you say, you can't search the Bible. I also cannot jump to the next book using the joystick.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #131
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I agree, the chapters/verses out of order (due to the number sorting in dictionaries) is not a good sight.

Are people interested in this Bible-as-dictionary approach? I can definitely make them. My first impression is that it's somewhat awkward.

Last edited by osnova; 10-04-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #132
r0b0d0c
r0b0d0c began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroking View Post
Dear Osnova,

Thanks for the information. I just connected the wireless today and the update to correct the "1 Galatian" was effected on my Kindle Bible.

Thanks for the prompt respse.
How did you get your update?

I purchased the KJV (non-paragraphed) 10/09, and having recently purchased a K3, downloaded it this week - it still has the "1 Galatian 1" listing.
r0b0d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #133
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
I thought of this dictionary approach too. I'm glad someone else did it so I can see how it works without any effort.

In my copy, when I enter "Psal 101:6" (the suggested abbreviation) it jumps to the proper verse. It is different than the DVJ in that it only shows a list of verses without any context, but it gives instant feedback while typing. I liked the context shown by DVJ, but it's nice to see the instant feedback since then you know if you are using the right abbreviations.

But it still has the same fuzzy search problem where Psal 101:6 also shows 10:16, etc. I think there may not be a good way to get around this on Kindle 3, regardless whether using a dictionary or not. Of course, it would be nicest if someone will create a good Bible reading experience with KDK, once it's available. But for now, I still prefer the DVJ method, once I learned the abbreviations. If it catches on, it has the advantage that a commentary or other reference could be made as a dictionary using the DVJ abbreviations. If set as the default dictionary, the commentary could pop up while reading the Bible.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #134
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

r0b0d0c, send me a pm with your email address and I will send you an updated file.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #135
r0b0d0c
r0b0d0c began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
r0b0d0c, send me a pm with your email address and I will send you an updated file.
Thx, osnova - done! You're the best!

r0b0d0c
r0b0d0c is offline   Reply With Quote