Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Notion Ink Adam delay

I like everything I've seen on the Adam so far. My worry though is that this may be a case of a start up finding out they really can't deliver what they thought they could...

I saw this on their site yesterday and didn't see it posted here. http://notionink.wordpress.com/2010/...-where-are-we/ It looks like they are talking about a delay now until they get flash working completely. He mentions two months of testing, which sounds like a lot to me if everything else is already complete. So this makes it look like no Adam until at least summer, if not early fall this year.

With the two display options I'm seriously interested in the Adam, while the iPad did nothing for me. I hope they don't end up delaying themselves into falling on their faces. I would be willing to purchase one with the expectation of future upgrades - then it is like the gift that keeps on giving! Right now, even without flash, it could give the iPad serious competition (he even hints at other things in his post), but if they wait too long it will mostly be irrelevant as the iPad upgrades and others come to market. I hope they come to market soon, and if it is 80 - 85% of what it looks like it could be I'll get in line for one (if my wife will let me ).
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i really dont understand what adobe is doing- they are shooting themselves in the foot as far as i can see.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
It looks like it's going to be more than two months. He says, "As soon as the stable Flash is there, there will be two months of testing and we will hit the stores." (emphasis added)

Who know's how long it will take to get "stable Flash." After they get it there will be another two months of testing.

I have given up on the large screen devices making it to market this year. As soon as I can find a 6" touchscreen with wifi I'm buying.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you're right gastan, that's why said summer or early fall. I think the latest from Adobe was something about mid year, so that would put it in August or September for the Adam.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i really dont understand what adobe is doing- they are shooting themselves in the foot as far as i can see.
I don't believe this is anything to do with Adobe.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
well they say they are working on Flash and since its well known that other tablets are waiting for 10.1 to be finished its a good bet that everyone is waiting for Adobe to finish with it.

Why do you think its not?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well considering how badly paned the JooJoo was (not just for it's lame Flash support but everything else about the UI) it makes sense that Notion Ink doesn't want to follow the same fate.

Of course with Adobe's latest post distancing themselves from the JooJoo, I'm wondering if Notion Ink is directly working with Adobe or not?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/a...direct-relati/
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogami View Post
Of course with Adobe's latest post distancing themselves from the JooJoo, I'm wondering if Notion Ink is directly working with Adobe or not?
I don't know about Adobe but he does hint that there are some that they just can't talk about yet. "Wish I could share more on the names of the companies we are working with. There will be announcements soon."

I'm hoping it isn't vaporware and it does meet most of the current specs and, more importantly, the price point that have listed. An August or September release would not be too bad- I should be able to afford it by then!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
...its well known that other tablets are waiting for 10.1 to be finished...
Evidence?

The initial timetables have always seemed far more to do with screen and Tegra 2 bulk chipset supplies to me.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Better to get it right than rush it out.

As fast, intuitive etc. as the iPad is other tablets can't afford to launch clunky, buggy, slow etc. They need to have things optimized so people are just as impressed when they play around with it as I've seen with people checking out the iPad.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Seriously if Flash is the only thing delaying the Adam-tablet I would do as Apple and dump the whole Flash support.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
I've been following Adam pretty close. If I remember correctly, I saw something about a Thanksgiving release. (November)
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Uhm, they are working to make sure that thewir product works well with a brand new OS version, as well as brand new hardware (Tegra 2).

If they came to market with a product which was not flawless, I expect you would also say they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
ich461
ich461 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Maybe it's because of the delay from pixel qi?
ich461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I just want them to put the hardware together, slap a stock OS with functional hardware support on it, and ship it to me, and then let me download the whole "improved experience" when it's available.

Let me install a quick PDF viewer on it, and let me toggle the Pixel Qi's backlight. Then I'll be happy to wait the 6 months or 2 years or however long it takes Notion Ink to develop their "enhancements" that will probably be pretty poor in the end anyway. I want the hardware, not a proprietary software experience.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote