Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #22411
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just had this terrible mental 'Far Side Cartoon' image of 'Sweat Shop' Quilting Bee... Wow! When I think 'quilting,' I visualize a group of women sitting around a pot belly stove in a log cabin, hand stitching and visiting with each other, never a sewing machine. Obviously times have changed. But I think there is another active quilter here in one the forums I visit... Just can't remember who it was that was talking about it one day.......

Stitchawl
Didn't you know that as soon as sewing machines were invented quilters and other sewers (watch out how you pronounce that in your head lol)were using them? Mr Singer used to let customers have the machines and pay them off over time. I do hand quilt quite a lot but that may now change.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #22412
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
brrr. first snow here

in my cup:cold coffee
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #22413
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Didn't you know that as soon as sewing machines were invented quilters and other sewers (watch out how you pronounce that in your head lol)were using them? Mr Singer used to let customers have the machines and pay them off over time. I do hand quilt quite a lot but that may now change.
It really does make perfect sense. It's just not how I envisioned quilting. But with that in mind, my earliest memories of sewing machines came at my grandmother's house, with her stepping on the controller making things. Then one day in my teens I saw a Treadle-powered sewing machine and I thought, 'Wow! Ancient stuff!' But then I moved to S.E. Asia and saw NEW Treadle-powered Singer sewing machines being sold in shops!! People would set them up on street corners and offer tailoring while you wait. That still goes on today! What a world we live in, eh?

Gotta go... Corn soup is ready!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #22414
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It really does make perfect sense. It's just not how I envisioned quilting. But with that in mind, my earliest memories of sewing machines came at my grandmother's house, with her stepping on the controller making things. Then one day in my teens I saw a Treadle-powered sewing machine and I thought, 'Wow! Ancient stuff!' But then I moved to S.E. Asia and saw NEW Treadle-powered Singer sewing machines being sold in shops!! People would set them up on street corners and offer tailoring while you wait. That still goes on today! What a world we live in, eh?

Gotta go... Corn soup is ready!

Stitchawl
I actually learnt to sew on a treadle machine, I think my mother had inherited it from her mother. Sewed lots of clothes on it until the big day when a new electric machine came into the house. At least you can still use a treadle when the power goes out, as long as there's daylight to see.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #22415
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I actually learnt to sew on a treadle machine, I think my mother had inherited it from her mother. Sewed lots of clothes on it until the big day when a new electric machine came into the house. At least you can still use a treadle when the power goes out, as long as there's daylight to see.
Yep, I've got three treadle machines of various vintages, and a couple of hand crank machines. You can actually buy new hand crank machines, but the quality is better on the old ones. My one concession to electric machines is the Singer Featherweight. I've collected a few of those through the years. They are an absolute joy to use.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #22416
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had two mugs of Teavana Phoenix Mountain Dan Cong and am working on my second mug of water. Had some Rooibos on the way in to the office.

It is taking me forever to work through my tea collection. I am trying to be good nd not buy new tea until I have finished everything that I have. So far I have knocked out three tins of Rooibos, but I was drinking that the entire time I was pregnant. Everything else is still reasonably well stocked. It is a bit scary how much tea I have.

I have replaced my favorite Oolongs. I drink those at home and will not deprive myself.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #22417
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Morning sumatra coffee in my cup and enjoying the break in the rain.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #22418
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I was a-walkin' 'round Kilgary Mountain
I met with Captain Farrell as his money he was countin'
Sayin', "Stand and deliver, for I am the bold deceiver"
Musha rig um du rum da
I rattled my pistols and I drew forth my saber

Whack fol the daddy o
Whack fol the daddy o
There's whiskey in the jar

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a4VMqcb6s8 )

Good morning, everyone! Sun's up. Me too... Good day for a ride. 8° outside, so that mean's an extra sweater. There is a full mug of Keemun tea beside me, a bowl of rice and Chinese duck sausage slices mixed in for flavor. A nice way to start the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It is taking me forever to work through my tea collection. I am trying to be good nd not buy new tea until I have finished everything that I have.

Oh oh.... I made that mistake once... Cost me a King's ransom to replace everything all at once! Now, when I empty one tin, I try to replace it as soon as I can. I'd rather spend $20 once a week, than $200 once a month.

Stitchawl
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #22419
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Oh oh.... I made that mistake once... Cost me a King's ransom to replace everything all at once! Now, when I empty one tin, I try to replace it as soon as I can. I'd rather spend $20 once a week, than $200 once a month.
Stitchawl

I agree - $80/month is better then $200/month!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #22420
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I agree - $80/month is better then $200/month!
Unless you're on the receiving end.

Stitchawl
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #22421
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Unless you're on the receiving end.

Stitchawl
As a Father... that is never an end I am concerned with!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #22422
amward
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yep, I've got three treadle machines of various vintages, and a couple of hand crank machines. You can actually buy new hand crank machines, but the quality is better on the old ones. My one concession to electric machines is the Singer Featherweight. I've collected a few of those through the years. They are an absolute joy to use.
I have a lovely old Singer treadle which I regret to say I never use these days, and also a Feather Weight which I have never even tried, I would have to get it checked before I turned it on, don't think it's been used for 20 years. I am loving my new Brother PQ1500, it has all the benefits of modern technology, but is not computerised and only does a straight stitch, no zig zag.

Just back from a ride (pedal)to the post and drinking a coffee collected on the way home.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #22423
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I asked for my Oolongs as birthday gifts. I am planning on getting down to 15 teas in the end. I love the variety but there are teas I only drink once a month and others I drink real regularly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #22424
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I just got a new iPhone 5 for my birthday ( a couple of weeks early.) My 3g was acting really badly. I've been having fun talking with 'Siri.' I'm amazed at what the technology is able to do these days. "She" sounds like a real person rather than a computerized voice.

Just time for another cup of Keemun, then we're outta here!

Stitchawl
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #22425
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
And cats everywhere in Egypt; all sizes, all colors. They are tolerated from old. There used to be a cat goddess Bastet in ancient Egypt, where the cat is one of the first domesticated animals and becomes a symbol of grace. It controls vermin and can even kill cobras.

(I think I spotted a Savanah-cat, like the one KK has?)

In my cup: cold coffee
Wearing 3 sweaters, as this temperature drop from 38 to 0 degrees is just too much for me.

Last edited by desertblues; 01-21-2013 at 09:56 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?