Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Hound
Hound began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New Kindle User

My husband presented me with a Kindle for my birthday. I started reading ebooks last year on my Sony 6700 ppc phone after my boss banned books from work for a while.

I've been drooling over the kindle since launch but was shocked to get it. I've only managed to download about 50 books in the last three days to acompany the 70 or so I had on my phone.

Beyond that, my softback buying problem came to a head with over 50 books this month I have a bit of a book loving problem but I'm managing to get help by having this nifty electronic device to use less shelf space in my library.

I've been surfing the forums and wanted to say thanks for all the information everyone has put up. It has been very helpful.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome... glad to hear you like the Kindle. Wow, 50 books...

Come on in, the waters fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Hound and welcome to theForum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hiya! Lots of good info on this site. You can also click on the BOOKS link, and anything labled "mobipocket" will work wonderfully on a Kindle. The books here are all free, out of copyright things. Classics that maybe you want to read. Someday.

Enjoy!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Hound and happy reading
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello there. I'm another satisfied Kindle owner/user.

My TBR stack for paper books had been getting out of control, and I hope that eventually, the Kindle will help me reduce it. But, that does mean that I have to get busy and read these paper books -- since I can't justify purchasing them again in electronic format. While the TBR stack hasn't gotten much smaller, I now have hundreds and hundreds of TBR electronic books that I've downloaded from here, Feedbooks, ManyBooks, and Baen. Fortunately, these take up only 250M or so of storage on my USB drive.

For the Kindle, I've bought about 30 books from various places, but have only read about 1/2 of what I've bought. I received my Kindle in mid-February, and since then I've read 17 books on the Kindle, 20 in paper, and 1 audio book. Of the books read on the Kindle, 7 were free downloads from various places, 3 were purchased from Baen, and 7 were purchased from Amazon.

Hubby and I take several trips by car each year -- he drives and I read. I had been keeping a small cardboard box packed with paperback books for the car. Now, I just grab my Kindle and go.

I hope you enjoy your Kindle as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Welcome to MobileRead. Hang around, read the messages, and share your likes & dislikes with us.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I received my Kindle in mid-February, and since then I've read 17 books on the Kindle, 20 in paper, and 1 audio book.
I'm impressed. I tend to only read about 1 book a week. Granted I like to watch TV and surf the web too. I generally read when I'm, ahem, on the throne.

When we go on a long car trips we usually get some audio books so the driver can listen. Or, are you saying you read aloud during these trips?

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm impressed. I tend to only read about 1 book a week. Granted I like to watch TV and surf the web too. I generally read when I'm, ahem, on the throne.

When we go on a long car trips we usually get some audio books so the driver can listen. Or, are you saying you read aloud during these trips?
When I'm at home, I tend to watch TV and play with my computer (work, surf the web, solitaire, etc.) and get a lot less reading done. I do read at meals and for a while as I go to bed at night. My job entails travel 1-3 weeks each month and I read while in transit. As I mentioned, I also read in the car when hubby & I take road trips. And no, I don't read aloud unless I come across a scene that is just too priceless to keep to myself. Hubby has mild aphasia as a result of a stroke 14 years ago, and he's unable to sustain attention to listen to audio books. I do listen to books on audio during those times that I have to drive myself -- such as the occasional commute to my company's office location.

My YTD totals for 2008 are:
* January: 10 paper, 2 audio
* February: 6 paper, 2 Kindle
* March: 7 paper, 5 Kindle, 1 audio
* April: 5 Kindle, 5 paper
* May: 6 paper, 5 Kindle
Total # pages read: 19,187
(For Kindle & audio books, I use the page count from the mass-market paperback version if available, or the most recent -- trade paperback or hardback -- printed version.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
As I mentioned, I also read in the car when hubby & I take road trips.
...and you live in Texas, so any trip in the car must be at least an hour each way... even to the corner drug store.

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 AM   #10
Hound
Hound began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the welcome.

I picked up a book from the download section earlier. I must peruse them a bit more.

I am not a big tv watcher, so I surf the web, read and write for the most part. I also work a midnight shift and some nights its quiet so i get to read a ton. This forum is great and really helping my kindle understanding.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote