Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Touch - Adding Multiple Books to Collection

I am getting really frustrated with creating collections in the Touch. It just does not seem to handle many changes at once. I have over 100 books that I have to add to a collection and when I go into the collection to add the books, it always seem to lock up on me. This is after having to scroll through 108 pages of books to pick the ones I want in the collection. Does anyone have any pointers on what size batches I should be using because I have already gone through this at least 4 times and I do not want to have to add the books individually. Why give the option of adding lots of books if the Touch can not handle working with multiple books?

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I am getting really frustrated with creating collections in the Touch. It just does not seem to handle many changes at once. I have over 100 books that I have to add to a collection and when I go into the collection to add the books, it always seem to lock up on me. This is after having to scroll through 108 pages of books to pick the ones I want in the collection. Does anyone have any pointers on what size batches I should be using because I have already gone through this at least 4 times and I do not want to have to add the books individually. Why give the option of adding lots of books if the Touch can not handle working with multiple books?

Nyn
Try batches of 30 and each time wait for indexing to be finished.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indexing has nothing to do with adding books to collections; it only occurs when you initially add books to the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indexing has nothing to do with adding books to collections; it only occurs when you initially add books to the Kindle.
I know but She is having problem with the Kindle freezing because it's so bogged down.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Try batches of 30 and each time wait for indexing to be finished.
That would take me forever, and I waited until all the indexing was done so this isn't affected by that. It was just 100 or so that was causing the problem. But I think it just have been me having a bum Touch because it locked up on me and neither I or CS could get it to unfreeze, they are sending me another one and this time hopefully it will work as it is supposed to. I am more annoyed that I have to spend another 4 days getting all my collections in order. And to think I was planning on putting more books on my Touch than I had on my K2...

Nyn
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The system I finally worked out was to create the collection name on the device and then move all the books in that collection over to the Kindle using Calibre. If you use the Calibre column customization or Collection tools to help organize your collections it helps a lot. You can limit your Calibre screen to just those books, select them all, and then mass move the books.

Then I'd go into the Collection and choose "Add/Remove to the Collection.". Sort the books by most recent first and all the books you want should be in the first pages.

There is a wonky bug here and a good number of the time when you choose add to the collection you (or at least I did) get a blank screen. Back out of that blank screen and repeat - choose add/remove books to collection again and this time it should work. I sent off an email to Amazon about that bug but never heard anything back.

Anyway, with the books sorted by most recent first it is much easier at least to find them without having to go through all the pages of all your books. I can't tell you how many to do at once because I think my largest collections only have about 25 books in them. 25 seemed to go fine.

I know it is frustrating, I'm really hoping that Calibre plug-in gets an update.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
The system I finally worked out was to create the collection name on the device and then move all the books in that collection over to the Kindle using Calibre. If you use the Calibre column customization or Collection tools to help organize your collections it helps a lot. You can limit your Calibre screen to just those books, select them all, and then mass move the books.

Then I'd go into the Collection and choose "Add/Remove to the Collection.". Sort the books by most recent first and all the books you want should be in the first pages.

There is a wonky bug here and a good number of the time when you choose add to the collection you (or at least I did) get a blank screen. Back out of that blank screen and repeat - choose add/remove books to collection again and this time it should work. I sent off an email to Amazon about that bug but never heard anything back.

Anyway, with the books sorted by most recent first it is much easier at least to find them without having to go through all the pages of all your books. I can't tell you how many to do at once because I think my largest collections only have about 25 books in them. 25 seemed to go fine.

I know it is frustrating, I'm really hoping that Calibre plug-in gets an update.
We are thinking alike, I learned my lesson from the problems with the first Touch. I have already sectioned off the small batches and labeled them in Calibre so that this time when I do it the process will be much easier to manage. I am also going through my K4PC collections to see if the ones that were not showing up is because I forgot to put them in a collection. I really wish there was a way to tell in K4PC if a book was not in any collection, I think I will send in an email requesting they add it. Not saying they will but it would sure be nice.

Nyn