Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #31
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e View Post
...Were there apps on the NC when it first came out? It could well be they just don't want any apps on it that aren't tailor made for it exactly.
There were a few apps on the NC when it came out... Pandora, Chess, Suduku (sp) and a few others. But, unless B&N makes a complete 180 degree turn, I don't see them putting these on the Touch. Of course, I could be wrong. It would not be the first time!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #32
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
They certainly can't put Pandora on it. Or rather, it would be a waste, since the device has no speakers.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #33
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
They certainly can't put Pandora on it. Or rather, it would be a waste, since the device has no speakers.
Yeah, I dont think that would be in the cards, but Email? News? Notetaking? Light browsing? Kindle App? Dictionary App? Whatever can work, why not?

I would definitely want to see all these legitimate text based applications working in a root environment, if possible. I currently own a Sony PRS-950 and he's sweating bullets while I keep a close eye on this progress.

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 06-06-2011 at 10:28 PM.
OrganicJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #34
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicJerk View Post
Yeah, I dont think that would be in the cards, but Email? News? Notetaking? Light browsing? Kindle App? Dictionary App? Whatever can work, why not?
amazon appstore with all those freebies I've collected since it came out
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #35
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultakeda View Post
As you mentioned, the main additional features would all be text-centric: a better PDF viewer with zoom (buttons or slider, I don't think the IR touch system is multitouch -- I can't see how it could be but I may be wrong), a better library browser with tag filtering/sorting, a web browser, a Stanza and ODPS content browser, etc.
The IR touch is multitouch capable according to the Neonode's press release (google searched).

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/02...he-5-13-range/
"zForce Pad offers a number of advantages compared to existing technologies: 100% transparency (no overlay needed like in resistive or capacitive), low cost for complete touch screen solution, ultrathin design, outstanding finger touch experiences (multi-touch support for gesture like pinch to zoom), integrated ambient light sensor for self adjusting backlight levels and lower power consumption and much more. "

A question is since NST doesn't have an accelerometer, how will it go to landscape mode, which is important for a PDF reader? Can you tap to force landscape mode in Android?

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-06-2011 at 10:55 PM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Landscape mode definitely is a must.
I wonder if it is possible to add a web browser that would connect to internet via USB.
At that point I may buy one.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreaderfan View Post
A question is since NST doesn't have an accelerometer, how will it go to landscape mode, which is important for a PDF reader? Can you tap to force landscape mode in Android?
Depends on the reader app, but Moon+ supports this.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaxtuk View Post
If android is as close to linux as I think it is, all I should have to do is find the side-load partition and make a simlink in there to the main partition.
Unfortunately, I don't think this will work. The reason is, I believe the side-load partition is not an ext3 (Linux) filesystem; it's a DOS FAT filesystem, because it had to be mountable on a PC.

I could be wrong; I haven't checked this on my nook. But that's how my cell phone works; the internal storage is ext3, but the storage visible from a PC is FAT.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkevin View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think this will work. The reason is, I believe the side-load partition is not an ext3 (Linux) filesystem; it's a DOS FAT filesystem, because it had to be mountable on a PC.

I could be wrong; I haven't checked this on my nook. But that's how my cell phone works; the internal storage is ext3, but the storage visible from a PC is FAT.
Hmmm good point.
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #40
trescenzi
trescenzi began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
I don't know if anyone has linked to this yet but the guy who put angrybirds on the nook touch yesterday put all of his code in a github repo:https://github.com/JesusFreke/nooktouch_uboot

Hopefully there will be more to come in the way of tutorials.
trescenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #41
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultakeda View Post
Hilarious!

When did Angry Birds replace Doom as the first thing to do to a rooted device? I guess it's an Android/iOS thang.
Yup. It's ridiculous. But it signals to the world "been hacked!" in no uncertain terms.

I just want to see it run a stock Android build with a web browser, etc.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #42
guitar_east
guitar_east began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Yup. It's ridiculous. But it signals to the world "been hacked!" in no uncertain terms.

I just want to see it run a stock Android build with a web browser, etc.
Well, if you haven't seen heres a video of the Nook Simple Touch running ADW Launcher...progress is being made!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dMZ...layer_embedded

Last edited by guitar_east; 06-13-2011 at 03:57 PM.
guitar_east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #43
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I'm running the Nook STR with Launcher Pro, Dropbox, Kindle, FBReader, Softkeys, K-9 Mail and Dolphin HD Browser. They all work fine, but the both Dolphin and the built-in Broswer give up the ghost on some pages.

Quickoffice HD and Pulse News would not run properly. Documents to Go Viewer, on the other hand, works fine as far as I tested it.

As a general matter, the Nook STR runs as a respectable Android 2.1 tablet for programs whose screens are don't change too constantly.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #44
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
All I really want out of a rooted Nook Touch is a setting to force flash the screen every page turn. I'm satisfied with it as a "simple" reader.

Though I may check out getting the Kindle reader on the device and see if it renders fonts a bit more crisply.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #45
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I'm running the Nook STR with Launcher Pro, ...
Can you tell me please where can I find instructions about how to do that?
Do I have to study the hacking forums for the original Nook? How much of that material is relevant for the new Nook Touch?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook str, nook touch, simple touch reader, touch