Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Links would be helpful. Googling "nook simple touch root" didn't provide relevant results, and the Nook Dev board can be a little spaghetti-ish.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
paultakeda
paultakeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Ed., Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Links would be helpful. Googling "nook simple touch root" didn't provide relevant results, and the Nook Dev board can be a little spaghetti-ish.
So long as NookDevs links are okay here:
Root notice
STR page
paultakeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
The only reason i want to root this guy is to remove the side-loading limit. If android is as close to linux as I think it is, all I should have to do is find the side-load partition and make a simlink in there to the main partition.
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the links, but...

Well, maybe the "details coming soon" will come soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
A link:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...eo/#more-19694

Enjoy!
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreaderfan View Post
Ah, very nice! Thank you!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
paultakeda

Hilarious!

When did Angry Birds replace Doom as the first thing to do to a rooted device? I guess it's an Android/iOS thang.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
paultakeda

Quote:
Thanks for the links, but...

Well, maybe the "details coming soon" will come soon.
Heh. It's definitely early days. But honestly, if the CPU/MB is the same as the Nook Color it really doesn't look like it will be long before almost everything done for the NC will be available for the STR.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #24
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultakeda View Post
Heh. It's definitely early days. But honestly, if the CPU/MB is the same as the Nook Color it really doesn't look like it will be long before almost everything done for the NC will be available for the STR.
Well this makes me happy. I don't even know what's been done to the NC other than booting into the stock android UI instead of the B&N UI thus allowing you to use the device as a full tablet.

I don't think there'd be a real need to have the nook touch run as a full tablet. Just add some extra functionality, make a custom homescreen that is more useful than the B&N one (Get rid of all their ads and friends junk), a *real* PDF reader, and maybe a browser and it'd be perfect.

That and add a switch somewhere to enable refreshing on every page load.

And I'm not too sure about using the android nook reader app to read ebooks with. I really need the full range of font size settings and I'm not sure the android app has them all...
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #25
paultakeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I don't think there'd be a real need to have the nook touch run as a full tablet.
True. I'm just assuming that since the hardware is so similar (except for the GPU, which in this case is a Pearl/Touch IR, and lack of audio) the easiest root path would be to duplicate the achievements made on the Color.

As you mentioned, the main additional features would all be text-centric: a better PDF viewer with zoom (buttons or slider, I don't think the IR touch system is multitouch -- I can't see how it could be but I may be wrong), a better library browser with tag filtering/sorting, a web browser, a Stanza and ODPS content browser, etc.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I don't think there'd be a real need to have the nook touch run as a full tablet. Just add some extra functionality

THIS exactly. Calculator, calendar, stickies, etc. The lack of these things will keep me from buying for sure. Just the basics that should have been on the product already IMO..
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The Nook Touch is very good for what it is. It is a Simple Touch Reader! If you are basing a decision on whether or not to get one on browser, calculator, tablet functionality, etc., then this device is not for you. There are other devices on the market that may better satisfy your needs. The Friends function is not junk. It serves a great purpose to stay in touch with Friends, see what they are reading, and makes the lending of books to read that much easier.

Again, this was meant to be a simple reader and B&N did a good job on hitting that mark.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
The Nook Touch is very good for what it is. It is a Simple Touch Reader! If you are basing a decision on whether or not to get one on browser, calculator, tablet functionality, etc., then this device is not for you.

Again, this was meant to be a simple reader and B&N did a good job on hitting that mark.
That may well be Jersysman- Think I'll wait to decide that for myself when I see more of what it can do rooted. What they mean for it to be may not be the end of what it CAN be after all.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #29
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e View Post
That may well be Jersysman- Think I'll wait to decide that for myself when I see more of what it can do rooted. What they mean for it to be may not be the end of what it CAN be after all.
Your decision of course. But, if you get disappointed because it didn't amount to what you wanted, remember that it was not designed to
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #30
tom e

You are dead right about that. I would hope everyone who intends to hack/ root any device keeps that in mind.
For what it's worth, I think it's a great e-reader, which is why it's the one I'm leaning towards now. What it's 'designed' for though, I'm not sure anyone knows the extent of at this point. In other words, I even sort of suspect B&N plan to release some of what I'm looking for down the road anyway. Were there apps on the NC when it first came out? It could well be they just don't want any apps on it that aren't tailor made for it exactly.

Tags
nook str, nook touch, simple touch reader, touch