Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
scottgun
scottgun began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, nook str
Hacking or Rooting the new nook simple touch reader

I want to root the new nook "simple touch" reader and get it to run a custom rom, such as CM7, or a stock build of android. The reason is not to try and make a cheap e-ink tablet. I want the e-ink display and battery life of this device to run applications that are primarily focused on reading: gmail, calendar, Google Reader, Pulse, Twitter, wikidroid, Kindle for Android, Google Books, DocsToGo, and, of course, the nook app for Android.

I just want an open device. I want to be able to try new stuff, without waiting for manufacturer or carrier approval. I don't want to be locked into any one ecosystem of content.

Similar to the vectors available on the nook color, can this new device be rooted and modded? Is there interest in the community to do so?
scottgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
i have no doubt it will happen, all you need is patience
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
And I have no doubt that there will be much interest...

It should be more powerful than the original nook when it's rooted - it should really function pretty much like a full-fledged Android device (800x600, all touchscreen). Getting android apps to work on the original nook never really worked that well - it seemed like it was so much work for the developers to work around the goofy split screen thing...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Ooooh, when this happens, I will totally get one -- even at the $140 price point.

I like B&N, I really do, but I just want to do more with my readers than they ever seem to be willing to provide with their stock software.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It must happen. It is fate.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm still wondering how much dev interest this device will drum up. No doubt it will be rooted in short order, but I would think custom ROMs for an e-ink Android device would have to be really custom. Think about it: how many apps scroll? Big problem! I'm betting development will look more like the Nook Classic, with root access achieved mainly to sideload custom apps designed specifically for the device.

I hope and suspect that devs will take it as a bigger opportunity and challenge than the original Nook, building or porting more apps to it, or even designing some e-ink optimized custom ROMs, but we're still talking about a device with an essentially static display.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, but like the OP said, the idea is less of "oooh, e-ink TABLET" and more "I want to load a few extra obvious things to the device".

I need my Moon+ highlighting and exporting.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I willl be surprised if they get apps such as moon + or aldiko working on the nook touch, but I could see a basic web browser being added (such as the one that was wriiten for the nook classic) maybe a different method of cataloguing books, even email and rss... but not much else...But I'm always amazed at what is being done to these units. ...

I would love to see a verson of trook for the nook touch
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would be astounded if at least all the custom apps developed for the original Nook don't get updated and ported over. I've been in a bit of a Nook bubble this past month, so maybe my perspective is exaggerated, but it looks like the STR is going to be considerably more successful than the original, or at least have a bigger release. Together with the considerable talent focused on the Nook Color, at least some of the buzz should translate into dev interest.

Custom ROMs are a long shot, but we should at least see a few more tweaks and apps for this reader than its predecessor.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I willl be surprised if they get apps such as moon + or aldiko working on the nook touch, but I could see a basic web browser being added (such as the one that was wriiten for the nook classic) maybe a different method of cataloguing books, even email and rss... but not much else...But I'm always amazed at what is being done to these units. ...

I would love to see a verson of trook for the nook touch
Why? Maybe there's a limitation of eInk that I don't know about, but Aldiko and Moon+ don't require scrolling.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Why? Maybe there's a limitation of eInk that I don't know about, but Aldiko and Moon+ don't require scrolling.
We'll see. I don't know how different proprietary apps will respond to the refresh rate, or if that will be the only 'quirk' they'll encounter. This device is significantly different from phones and tablets, and even if you can get apps to load and open on a rooted STR, that doesn't mean they'll produce sensible images in a meaningful sequence on the display.

If market apps don't work as-is, there's a lot less motivation to push the limits on a device like this, because you're going to hit those limits a lot sooner than on something like the Nook Color, which shipped with a lot of hardware it was hardly using, if at all. You're more likely to see people make apps for the device that they know will work on it. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I doubt we'll ever see as 'open' a system on this device as the OP would like.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Ras
Ras began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK STF
I want this too

Hi there,

I really want to see the new Nook rooted too. I write a lot and it hurts my eyes to write on my laptop. Even if the touch keyboard on the nook is small and will reduce writing speed it may still be of use.

I also really hope to see a basic browser on the device, allowing me to read Google Reader.

Our hope goes to the hackers! Make us proud!

Kind regards

Ras

[removed non-forum signature line - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 06-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #13
paultakeda
paultakeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Ed., Nook Color
It's already happened. NookDevs announced root. Curious onlookers can read the programmer's git-hub check-in comment history to see how the boot loader's coming along (just google it, you can find it).

Last edited by paultakeda; 06-06-2011 at 02:56 AM.
paultakeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
I'd love to see the NookLibrary app for the Touch!
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultakeda View Post
It's already happened. NookDevs announced root. Curious onlookers can read the programmer's git-hub check-in comment history to see how the boot loader's coming along (just google it, you can find it).
Looks like it's basically not locked down (?) / don't need to do anything prior to connecting via adb as root

Edit: I think he just put the console screenshot to show that he did it. he's probably working on documenting now. Sorry about my hasty response

Last edited by spec; 06-06-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: hasty response
spec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook str, nook touch, simple touch reader, touch