Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
M-Edge Prodigy vs. Amazon Case: Fight!

I got my M-Edge case today and since I still have the "official" Amazon Kindle Cover case (Amazon Cover for short) that I bought with the K2, I thought I'd give a quick comparison between the two for those that might be considering buying one of these two book-style cases (or upgrading from the Amazon case to the M-Edge).

My first impression of the M-Edge is that it is both wider and thicker than the Amazon Cover. I knew it was going to be wider, since the inside of the M-Edge has space to accommodate the reading light that M-Edge also sells. The thickness of the M-Edge surprised me a bit, since pictures I've seen of it suggested it might be about the same or perhaps even a little thinner than the Amazon Cover. But it's not - it's probably 1/4" thicker, perhaps a hair more. The added thickness combined with the width certainly makes the whole thing feel more bulky, especially when opened like a book - in that case it's really quite wide and you really notice a difference. Using it as I do, with the front of the cover folded around the back, it foes feel more bulky than the Amazon Cover, but it's still relatively comfortable to use that way, and I've gotten used to the added bulk pretty quickly. Obviously the benefit of the thickness is that it does provide better drop and knock protection for the Kindle itself.

The weight of the M-Edge is heavier, though by how much I can't say because I don't have a scale. The site lists the M-Edge at around 8.8 oz, though "half a pound" makes it sound heavier than it actually feels.

Aside from the bulk, the main difference between the two is that the M-Edge is much higher quality. The Kindle Cover, while technically made of leather, feels and looks synthetic to me. The M-Edge on the other hand looks, feels and smells like top-quality leather. It's a thing of beauty to hold in the hand. The stitching is even and looks great both inside and out. The attention to detail is clear when you open it and notice that the two straps on the right side are elastic but covered with patches of leather, which just gives it a feeling of quality. The interior is a soft synthetic fabric of some sort, but it has a nice suede feeling, and does not detract from the overall quality.

The other features of the M-Edge, namely the interior elastic straps and the exterior closure strap (belt? whatever), are minor, but make a big difference for the way that I use the cover. The elastic straps stop the Kindle from flopping around and that was one of the things that annoyed me slightly about the Amazon Cover. More importantly though, the exterior closure belt stops the case from coming open in my briefcase, which means I can safely throw it in there without worrying about the screen getting scratched. For those concerned, the belt slips behind the case and out of the way, and can be tucked behind the Kindle itself to stop it from flapping. The interior also has a few pockets for papers and business cards, though I don't really see that I'll use them. Still they are nice to have.

Finally, a word about price; the Amazon Cover lists for $30, while the M-Edge lists for $45. I ordered both through Amazon so the shipping was free, but (as a NY resident) there was tax on the Amazon Cover but not on the M-Edge, so the price difference is actually closer to $12. If you order the M-Edge through their website, which you may have to do for certain colors, you will pay shipping and the price will be significantly higher.

Since I was in the market for something lighter and thinner than the Amazon Cover, I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with the M-Edge. I still miss the case that came with my old PRS-500, which although it was synthetic and didn't offer much padding for protection, did manage to protect the screen nicely and was very light and thin. That said, I have to say that the quality of the M-Edge is so far superior to the Sony case or the Amazon Cover that I am quickly becoming very fond of it. And because it does offer better protection all-round than the Amazon Cover, I'm willing to put up with the added bulk.

I might still get another case for it for those times that I'm looking to travel very light. I did briefly consider the Octo sleeve, but because it wasn't real leather I decided against it, though if M-Edge came out with something similar I'd probably buy it. Until then, I think the M-Edge will be my daily commuter for the foreseeable future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k21.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	27242   Click image for larger version

Name:	k22.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	27243   Click image for larger version

Name:	k23.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	27246  

Last edited by weatherman; 04-08-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: updated bit about effect of added bulk while reading
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Mel VanderBrug
Mel VanderBrug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I find the strap, or belt as you refer to it, to be really irritating. Stuffing it in the pocket is not a quick task, and I'm afraid as it wears it will be even more difficult. Putting magnets in the strap and cover would be an easy fix - unless magnets would cause a problem with the Kindle itsel;f
Mel VanderBrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The stock cover for the 505 has magnets and it's done the 505 no harm at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel VanderBrug View Post
I find the strap, or belt as you refer to it, to be really irritating. Stuffing it in the pocket is not a quick task, and I'm afraid as it wears it will be even more difficult.
Whether it will wear and become looser remains to be seen, but since I don't open and close it that often (only when I'm putting it away in my bag) I haven't really found it to be a problem.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
tylerdurden51
tylerdurden51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for the honest review...

i just love that copper color though
tylerdurden51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The stock cover for the 505 has magnets and it's done the 505 no harm at all.
There have been a couple of articles published saying that Amazon abandoned magnets in its original cover because they were seen to interfere with the use of the cellular antenna. Since the 505 has no wireless function at all, of course it's fine to have magnets in its cover.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy S23+, Galaxy Tab S6
Weatherman, thanks so much for the comparison, and the included pictures to go along with. I had thought I'd talked myself out of an M-Edge cover, in deference to a Borsa Bella bag to use when traveling, but now I'm not so sure since it sounds like this cover would protect the Kindle sufficiently during travel as well.

Plus one of the main reasons I wanted an M-Edge was because I was kinda grooving on the way the M-Edge light sorta tucks right in to the cover. I'm a big "in bed" reader and attaching the Mighty Bright to my folded over Amazon cover as I do now, and having to remember to unclip it just before I fall asleep and toss it over onto the night stand is becoming a bit of a pain in the ass. I like to just fall asleep while I'm reading so the less I have to do to tuck my Kindle away for the night—and keep it from getting damaged or falling on the floor—the better.

I know you didn't talk about the light at all, but I'm just adding some of my own justification to your praise of it above and now I'm again teetering towards getting one myself, perhaps once the new lights are released too. Besides, then I can convince DH it's more of a need than a want LOL since I've also managed to wave the Mighty Bright around a bit too much in bed and shined it right in his face while he was sleeping! So a better light setup would benefit him as well as I.
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Nice review!

I didn't order the Amazon cover because it only comes in black. Nothing against black but it's not my favorite color.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
http://thekindlewarehouse.com/kindle-2-covers/ mentions a Kindle2 cover that I hadn't seen before. Bobarra is the maker/brand. see http://bobarra.com

They have 2 different styles of leather cover (each in several colors). One with no closure, one with a tab closure similar to M-Edge's, and one with a magnetic closure. The price is comparable to M-Edge --- and I'm tempted!

Oh, but no "amazon hinge" connection to the cover.

They seem to have less extra space at the spine (where M-Edge is leaving room for their light). That extra space is putting me off the M-Edge covers, since I don't want the light.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
kiriakou
kiriakou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I would consider getting this. But i think the straps are ugly. I don' t have a problem with just using the spine clips. Does it look like you can use the Prodigy without using the straps or would that be awkward?
kiriakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Only problem I have with the M-Edge cases is the light grey suede interior which tends to show dirt over time.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
well M-edge just released a new slim case, very similar to the amazon, with the hinge system, except it comes in a variety of colors and no ugly logo, on the front.

Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriakou View Post
I would consider getting this. But i think the straps are ugly. I don' t have a problem with just using the spine clips. Does it look like you can use the Prodigy without using the straps or would that be awkward?
I think you could just cut them off if they bother you, and it would work just fine. I thought I might not like them but I do appreciate that they stop it from flopping around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octochick View Post
well M-edge just released a new slim case
Wow. That really sucks. I would have seriously considered that case considering the price and the slim profile if I had known they were coming out with that. I can't believe they released it just two days after I got mine. That's ridiculous. I might just have to write to them and ask them about an exchange... though I'm not sure that I really want to give up the strappy belty thing that keeps it secure in my bag...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I might just have to write to them and ask them about an exchange... though I'm not sure that I really want to give up the strappy belty thing that keeps it secure in my bag...
Did you buy it off Amazon or directly from M-edge? If you bought it from A, you could easily return it. M-E, I am not sure. By buying off Amazon, you can get free shipping...

If you can afford it, it might work for you to have both. One for travel, one for home and day to day use?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
Octochick
Zealot

Oh, kindleboards.com has a "sell" section, you could probably sell one there pretty easily, if you wanted too.