Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
jrett
jrett began at the beginning.

Device: none
Overlapping Text Upon Conversion

Hi,

Doing some research for my boss. He's been trying to convert an epub into a mobi (using Kindle Previewer, but when he does so, the resulting mobi has overlapping text. The font is Myriad Pro, but other epubs are using that font are often able to convert without difficulty. Does anyone know what causes this and how it can be fixed?
jrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Impossible to say without seeing examples of the HTML+CSS + maybe showing some screenshots of the problem.

You could also use the Calibre plugin, ScrambleEbook:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998

in order to create a sample file we can mess with.

I am going to take a stab in the dark and bet there is some CSS letter-spacing shenanigans going on.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As I noted in the KDP forum, there's really no reason to do that conversion. Upload the epub to the KDP, let it convert online, download the "mobi" for preview. That at least would eliminate one possible source of corruption.

How does the epub itself look, say in Adobe Digital Editions? A good epub should give you a good mobi, or anyhow it has done so for me for five years now.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
jrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Impossible to say without seeing examples of the HTML+CSS + maybe showing some screenshots of the problem.

You could also use the Calibre plugin, ScrambleEbook:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998

in order to create a sample file we can mess with.

I am going to take a stab in the dark and bet there is some CSS letter-spacing shenanigans going on.
Thank you, but I actually found out that it's impossible to create a fixed-layout mobi out of a fixed-layout epub, and neither Kindle Kids Book Creator or Kindle Textbook creator will allow hyperlinks across multiple devices, so I guess we'll just need to create an inferior version of the book for mobi.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
jrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
As I noted in the KDP forum, there's really no reason to do that conversion. Upload the epub to the KDP, let it convert online, download the "mobi" for preview. That at least would eliminate one possible source of corruption.

How does the epub itself look, say in Adobe Digital Editions? A good epub should give you a good mobi, or anyhow it has done so for me for five years now.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I do need to. If my company wants a mobi, I need to convert it to a mobi. However, I found out it's because fixed-layout epubs won't convert to fixed-layout mobis, and the only program that maintains all the interactive features is Kindle Textbook Creator, but that is in beta and only makes books available no Kindle Fire.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrett View Post
Thank you. Unfortunately, I do need to. If my company wants a mobi, I need to convert it to a mobi. However, I found out it's because fixed-layout epubs won't convert to fixed-layout mobis, and the only program that maintains all the interactive features is Kindle Textbook Creator, but that is in beta and only makes books available no Kindle Fire.
Fixed layout ePub is covered in our wiki and includes Amazon's version. There are no tools that will convert one for the other that I am aware of. I expect that ePub 3 version may become the source for possible conversions. Fixed layout isn't just a picture book. There are several very specific features in the design.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle previewer, mobi