Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
bastiaan
bastiaan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Speed of battery decrease with WiFi on/off

Hello,

First of all I excuse if this question has been asked before or if I'm violating any forum rules since I'm new here.

A couple of days ago I received my Kobo touch and I like it a lot. Got it out of the box, hooked it up to a computer and let it charge it's battery till I saw it was full. Now, I have read a couple of previews of books on it and the battery level seems steady when doing so without WiFi on (a percentage lower after an hour or so of reading). But when I browse the store or am syncing over WiFi, the battery drains very fast, like 10% in a couple of minutes.

Is this normal? I only use WiFi to check the store once in a while and sync with Pocket but it's off normally.

Thanks
bastiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is normal for wifi activity to use a lot more power (lots and lots more) than reading a book.

E-ink devices get extremely good battery life when reading because the screen doesn't need any power to display a static image, and 99.9% of reading an ebook is displaying static images.

But for any other sort of activity - wifi syncing/browsing, playing audio, file processing, etc. they are little better than tablets. Worse even, because they generally have smaller batteries.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
bastiaan
bastiaan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is normal for wifi activity to use a lot more power (lots and lots more) than reading a book.

E-ink devices get extremely good battery life when reading because the screen doesn't need any power to display a static image, and 99.9% of reading an ebook is displaying static images.

But for any other sort of activity - wifi syncing/browsing, playing audio, file processing, etc. they are little better than tablets. Worse even, because they generally have smaller batteries.
Yeah I guessed so. Thanks for the info!
bastiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I seldom connect to web with my kobo readers. Yes that drains battary faster but battery gage you will find is more eduicated guess than really accurate over short term. After I end wifi connection and sync sometimes indicated battery level goes back up a little. I have used Kobo touch to post emails and check some websites, while I had charger connected. This worked better if the website had tablet/phone version. A little slow but ok way to waste time and I had nothing better to do then anyway. Only really big advantage to using tablet was bluetooth keyboaded and color screen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
If you are using a wall charger to charge your kobo device, why not synch using wifi while it is charging?

That is what I do, and it doesn't seem to add much time to the time taken to charge the device.

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery drain, touch, wifi