Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Amazon Prime...

Please tell me, I use Amazon for "everyday" purchases a bit, not enough to make it worth paying £49 just for the Prime delivery benefits.
So, for just a rough idea, would it be of benefit to join it for the freebies offered only for Prime members, and for the lending library ?

Oh, and could I use it anyway, for ebooks, as I have K4PC not a kindle.

Thenks awfully.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What lending library are you referring to? The one that's only available to people in the USA, perhaps?

No "lending library" here, I'm afraid, CM. Although I've been a "Prime" member for years and think it's well worthwhile for the free next-day delivery. I buy pretty much everything except my local food shopping from Amazon, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Please tell me, I use Amazon for "everyday" purchases a bit, not enough to make it worth paying £49 just for the Prime delivery benefits.
So, for just a rough idea, would it be of benefit to join it for the freebies offered only for Prime members, and for the lending library ?

Oh, and could I use it anyway, for ebooks, as I have K4PC not a kindle.

Thenks awfully.
I think the lending library (and the freebies) only works for the Kindle devices, not for K4PC? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, I'm looking at Mocking Jay, it says "Prime members, read for free)". I'm a prime member (I don't have a Kindle), but I can't figure out how to read it for free.

I believe there is a distinction between a Prime Member and a Kindle Prime Member. (elitist Amazon bastards. ).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Considering the titles in the Prime Library average £2 each or less to buy, and you can only borrow one a month, I would say no.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Correct the lending library is only for devices, not the apps.
And I agree, the library and Prime Videos, which are the two biggest ancillary benefits beyond the shipping discount, would be hard to justify on their own.
I guess the exception would be if you look over the Prime Video selection and decide that you like so much of it, that it justifies it for you.
Or maybe if you had no other source of programming....no Cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc....
But I predict that works out for very few people.
For the vast majority, we'd need to make up the Prime cost with shipping savings, and the rest is just gravy.

FREE TRIALS of Prime, on the other hand: Yeah, baby!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe there is a distinction between a Prime Member and a Kindle Prime Member. (elitist Amazon bastards. ).
There's another category too: Freeloader on Someone Else's Prime Account. I am on my sister's prime account, and I don't get the Prime book loans (not that I have a Kindle anyway) OR the videos. I get the free shipping.

Recently Amazon has a new category of shipping for Prime members. On many items I can choose 5-7 day shipping, and get a $1 credit toward MP3s. I love it! I recently chose this ship method for two items in two days, and the two items shipped in the same package (even though one was a book and one was a kitchen item). Very smart!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Personally, I view the Lending Library (American) as a side benefit of Prime. Nearly every book is something I probably wouldn't buy or read unless it was out there free for me. The main benefit for me is the free shipping which I do use extensively. We watch maybe one video a week.

It's hard to say whether it is worthwhile for anybody else because your usage would probably be different than ours.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Wingpeople
▲▲ Books with Altitude ▲▲
Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
+1 on the free shipping. Before joining Prime, we sometimes bought smaller-ticket items, and either added something we hadn't really planned on buying to the order to reach the free shipping, or grumbled about the shipping costing as much or more than the item.

We've only been in Prime for about 6 weeks, so time will tell if it was worth the $79 annual fee.

The lending library is a nice additional feature, but a bit tedious to browse for KOLL books.
Wingpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Free shipping doesn't apply to the beautiful Sandwich Islands! Just another example of the paradise tax.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I wouldn't sign up for Prime unless you are doing it for shipping. As everyone else noted...its not really worth it for the "fringe benefits." I do have prime and love it...but I'd get nothing out of it for the library and the tv/movies.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
With as much ordering that we do on Amazon, the free shipping more than makes up for the cost. The other things (library and videos) are just extra cherries on top of the other cherries for free shipping.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
just extra cherries on top of the other cherries
Here is something you will like, it is eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Fruit-P...5377819&sr=8-7

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I had Prime for four months and used it frequently, but I got rid of it and now buy from local stores.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I wouldn't sign up for Prime unless you are doing it for shipping. As everyone else noted...its not really worth it for the "fringe benefits." I do have prime and love it...but I'd get nothing out of it for the library and the tv/movies.
Although I did love watching the first season of NYPD Blue without commercials, for free.

I joined because we have a vacation place in a really out of the way place up on a moountain in Idaho. I sent a gas grill, and received free shipping. Although it takes about 4 days up there, I think it is worth it.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
My 2p's worth. As a fellow UK resident, I've never thought the 49GBP annual fee was worth it, since we don't get any of the US 'extras'. Most of what I buy is delivered for free anyway with Super Saver Delivery. Although I would like next-day delivery, 49 quid is a bit steep as they are usually delivered in 2-4 working days anyway. I've found that delivery is normally quicker than Amazon's estimate, but I don't know how much this varies by UK location.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote