Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #61
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Is it possible to remove the sideloading limit when the device has been rooted?

I think it's one of the most underhanded and dirty things a company can do. I'm paying them for their product and they create an artificial storage limit to force people to buy from their stupid store.
If you have root access you should be able to shrink the sideloaded content partition to almost nothing and create a symlink from their to the main partition. Thats just theory though
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #62
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Horse puckey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
I think it's one of the most underhanded and dirty things a company can do. I'm paying them for their product and they create an artificial storage limit to force people to buy from their stupid store.
Hey, you bought a B&N product. The specs were clearly stated on the web site. With the ability to hold 1,000 books in the standard amount of memory and the ability to add up to a 32gb card, your language is waaay over strong.

Quit whining!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #63
scottgun
scottgun began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, nook str
Okay, first off thanks to the community for keeping this thread alive. I am very pleased with the progress thus far. I'm also happy to announce that I too have entered the fray. I used the nookdev instructions to gain access via adb. Then, I used slm's walkthrough for gaining superuser, installing launcher, soft keys, etc. I took emt's suggestion for the Zeam 2.88 launcher and I'm pretty happy with that too.

I've got the Amazon appstore, Root Explorer, and Dolphin Browser HD apps running via adb install. I then used the Amazon appstore to successfully install Docs to Go and the Kindle app.

I also tried to install tweetdeck and the official twitter app via Amazon and neither of those apps would install successfully.

I was able to install Google Reader and Google Books apks via adb. Those apps install successfully. But when you launch them for the first time, they are looking for account sync information and I can't seem to get past the prompts. I saw the Books app running in one of the videos. So, there must be a way.

Via adb, I also tried to install 2 different versions of the Gmail apk. One of the apks looked kind of janky. But the other, Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk, was from a reputable source. The adb shell returns the following error message. Anybody know what this means?
Code:
scott@gun-2:~$ adb install /home/scott/nook-touch/apk/Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk 
517 KB/s (1166400 bytes in 2.202s)
	pkg: /data/local/tmp/Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]
scottgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #64
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I'm pretty sure it means you are trying to install the version of the apps for Android 2.2 (Froyo) into a system running Android 2.1 (Eclair).
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #65
scottgun

So, I found the 2.1 version of the Gmail apk and I installed that via adb. Gmail then shows up but when you try to launch it, nothing happens. From my perspective, Gmail is a secondary concern.

I want to get Google Reader and Google Books running. I have installed these apps and they both startup with a prompt for account information. In Reader, at the top of the screen it says 'Google Reader Accounts', in the middle of the screen, it says 'No accounts', and at the bottom there is a button that says 'add account'. When I click that button, a pop-up dialog comes up that says 'sign-in failed'. The books screen is similar but there is no button and no way to move forward.

I believe these apps are dependent on other apks that handle google accounts and sync data. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #66
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgun View Post
I believe these apps are dependent on other apks that handle google accounts and sync data. Any insight would be appreciated.
That's correct, if you look at the instructions for the Nook Color, one of the steps is to install GApps, that's a bunch of libraries plus the APKs for Gmail, Maps and such. The nook touch most likely does not have the libraries (like the NC), so installing the APKs alone won't work.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #67
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook STR
Quote:
So, I found the 2.1 version of the Gmail apk and I installed that via adb. Gmail then shows up but when you try to launch it, nothing happens. From my perspective, Gmail is a secondary concern.

I want to get Google Reader and Google Books running.
I'm not sure about Google Books, but K-9 Mail handles Gmail excellently and NewsRob is ,in my opinion, better than the default Google RSS Reader.
OrganicJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #68
scottgun

I used the Amazon Appstore to install the Dolphin mini browser. I like it way better than the Dolphin HD. It crashes way less often. I also like the speed dial home page. I wouldn't use it for mobile banking or anything mission critical but I'm fairly pleased with the performance on these mobile websites:

-twitter
-Google Reader
-Gmail

Taken with these 3 and the Kindle app, I am declaring personal victory. I'll be content, until such a time as a full mod is available.

Last edited by scottgun; 06-20-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #69
requiem3
requiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
I used the Amazon Appstore to install the Dolphin mini browser. I like it way better than the Dolphin HD. It crashes way less often. I also like the speed dial home page. I wouldn't use it for mobile banking or anything mission critical but I'm fairly pleased with the performance on these mobile websites:

-twitter
-Google Reader
-Gmail

Taken with these 3 and the Kindle app, I am declaring personal victory. I'll be content, until such a time as a full mod is available.
Could you tell me how you're booting into the android part of the nook?
I'm having to restart the nook every time I want to access android, and then if I ever go to the normal nook OS I can't go back without restarting. Is there an easier way?
requiem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #70
bartleby0
bartleby0 began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
I hope BN is successful for many years to come, but I would love to have access to my kindle titles. How well does the kindle app work on your rooted touch?

Quote:
bartleby0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #71
NookLuser
NookLuser began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Also, can anyone explain to a n00b the benefit of rooting a nook touch?
In my opinion Opera Mini is the benefit. The included hidden browser aborts too often. (I don't like the softkeys / ADW launcher interface I've installed for getting to Opera, but it works.) The ultimate e-reader with a good internet browser. Pretty cool.
NookLuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #72
spyrule
spyrule began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby0 View Post
I hope BN is successful for many years to come, but I would love to have access to my kindle titles. How well does the kindle app work on your rooted touch?
I've been using it for a few days now; everything seems to work perfectly!
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #73
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
From the 1Gb of space available, 750Mb or so are reserved for B&N content, so only about 250Mb are available for side-loaded content.
I don't know why B&N keeps insisting on separating the B&N content from side-loaded content.

The reviews I have read of the STR said that if you sideload books onto the internal memory, they show up together with your B&N content. If you put in a memory card and then side-load on that, it shows up as "documents" and is not mixed with B&N content.

On my wife's nook, I moved ALL her content onto the SD card because of the page turn button crack issue. After 3 swap outs, it was just easier to simply move the card onto the new nook and off she went.

This is the one thing I find better about the Kindle and Sony eReader. One list of everything. The device doesn't care where the book came from.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #74
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
The Nook will take up to 32 GB micro USB cards. So, you can have up to as many of those as you want.
It's my understanding any flies on the external SD card are treated as "documents" and not books, so they don't show up alongside purchased content.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #75
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I don't know why B&N keeps insisting on separating the B&N content from side-loaded content.

The reviews I have read of the STR said that if you sideload books onto the internal memory, they show up together with your B&N content. If you put in a memory card and then side-load on that, it shows up as "documents" and is not mixed with B&N content.
That's incorrect. The books from the SD card, plus those in the internal memory (side-loaded and purchased), show all in the Library, there are no differences.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook str, nook touch, simple touch reader, touch