Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #151
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
According to the Sony Reader Store, a Reader app for Android (and Apple) is supposed to be available sometime in December.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #152
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteepatootee View Post
I just looked on the ereader site and see no offer of auto scroll. How did you do this?
It's buried in the second level of settings, but doesn't work as well as the Palm OS version did. You have to go into the settings to start it and disable screen timeout separately to get it to work. I've abandoned the program in favor of Moon+ Reader, which has an autoscroll icon in the toolbar and automatically disables the screen timeout when the program is open. It also allows you to regulate the speed in several different ways. I used the volume up/down button customization option, but there are screen swipe options, too.

Moon+ Reader won't read .pdb ebooks, so you have to remove the DRM and convert them to epubs to use it. If you have DRM-free ebboks, then Calibre ebook converter is easy to use and free (although donations are welcome!).
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #153
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
If I download an apk via google app market, where does it download to? I would like to be able to copy it so that I can put it on a device that doesn't have the app market.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #154
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
If I download an apk via google app market, where does it download to? I would like to be able to copy it so that I can put it on a device that doesn't have the app market.
The app is installing the minute you download it so you would need to make a backup of the app. This can be done with the file-manager Astro also available on the market.

1. Install Astro
2. Open Astro
3. Press menu
4. Press tools
5. Press Application manager/backup (a list of installed app's should appear)
6. Select the once you want to backup by marking the checkbox
7. Press menu
8. Press backup (The backup process should now start)
9. The apk-files should now be available in dir: /sdcard/backups/apps

There is an add-on for Astro which would give you bluetooth transfer capabilities enabling you to send and receive files.

I however prefer to use SwiFTP which turns your android device into an FTP-server for easy access to the files.

Last edited by thinkpad; 12-17-2010 at 01:40 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #155
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
The app is installing the minute you download it so you would need to make a backup of the app. This can be done with the file-manager Astra also available on the market.

When you've installed Astra and opened it goto:
menu -> tools -> application manager/backup
This should get you a list of all apps installed. Mark the once you want to backup
When you're done press menu -> backup (Astra should now start the backup process for you).

If you go into your sd-card you should now be able to see the backed up apk-files in directory: backups/apps
Good instructions, except that it is "Astro" and not "Astra", unless there is a program with a similar name that I have not heard of. I use Astro in just the manner that you describe to get an APK for one device that I have that is not Market eligible.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #156
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Good instructions, except that it is "Astro" and not "Astra", unless there is a program with a similar name that I have not heard of. I use Astro in just the manner that you describe to get an APK for one device that I have that is not Market eligible.
Yeah, I noticed the misspelling and have changed it. Thanks.

Last edited by thinkpad; 12-17-2010 at 01:52 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #157
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
At last Epub toc support comes to coolreader (only in the source for now) hope it gets pushed to the app soon.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #158
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Thanks for the instructions. I have the backup app already. So that puts me one step closer. I will try this today.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #159
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Moon+ Reader now has offline dictionary support for ColorDict and Fora. If you're downloading these dictionaries for the first time, you also have to download the word packages in addition to the app.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #160
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
Moon+ Reader now has offline dictionary support for ColorDict and Fora.
Thank you for pointing out the support for ColorDict!!!

I just deleted Aldiko and all the other readers that I have been trying out since Moon+ Reader can do everything that I want and more.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #161
melonhead
melonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Sony Pocket Reader
For any that use library eBooks from Overdrive, they have released an app, Overdrive Media Console, for droid that now supports eBooks. You have to put your Adobe ID into the settings, but after that you can download directly from/into the phone, no USB cables required. I'm a happy camper about that!

WMA audio files still require the computer version of Media Console, however.

It's a clunky reader, but better than all the fussing required for transfer that I had to do before. Yay.
melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #162
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for that, but I'm just gonna stick with my standard process. Always purchase/download to my computer, strip drm, add to Calibre and transfer to desired reader. (and of course back up the Calibre library) Works great for me. And I get to use whatever ebook reader, app or device I want.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #163
Goliard
Goliard began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Epic 4G
HELP! Can't find Aldiko Import Folder on Samsung Epic

Hi folks. . .total noob here, so be gentle I just got a Samsung Epic, and installed Aldiko on it. Tried to add an ebook, but can't find the "import" folder, or the "ebooks" folder, for that matter. When I use the "My Files" app, and look on the SD card, there's just an Aldiko folder, with no subfolders. When I connect my phone to my Macbook, I get the dreaded "there is no SD card found" message (huh?) Do I need to uninstall then reinstall the program? Any help greatly appreciated,

G
Goliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #164
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The import folder is not under Aldiko it is under

/eBooks/import
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #165
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliard View Post
Hi folks. . .total noob here, so be gentle I just got a Samsung Epic, and installed Aldiko on it. Tried to add an ebook, but can't find the "import" folder, or the "ebooks" folder, for that matter. When I use the "My Files" app, and look on the SD card, there's just an Aldiko folder, with no subfolders. When I connect my phone to my Macbook, I get the dreaded "there is no SD card found" message (huh?) Do I need to uninstall then reinstall the program? Any help greatly appreciated,

G
First, when you connect your Epic to your computer Android should pop up a message asking how you want to connect to your computer with "Disk Drive" being one of your options. In that popup there is a check box for "Don't Ask Again", so if that box is checked and a different option was previously selected then you will not see the Epic as a disk drive. You should be able to remedy that by pulling down the status bar in Android's main window and selecting "Disk Drive" as the connection method after the Epic is connected to your computer.
If you can not find the /eBooks/import folder you could always create it your self? However, I believe that Aldiko will create it if it is non-existent the first time that ask you Aldiko to scan for books on the SD card.

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one