Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #10786
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
You are really getting through those books. I think you've read 5 to my 2 or something like that.
I don't own a TV so it's read or stare at the wall
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #10787
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't own a TV so it's read or stare at the wall
Good for you....and you all read faster than me, I'm still working on The Sound and The Fury....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #10788
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
As I've posted on Good Reads:

"19% done with Fool Moon, by Jim Butcher: Loup-garous, Lycanthropes & Hexenwolves? Oh my! Werewolves have come to Chicago and Harry has to figure out the which as well as the why, before another dozen or so people are slaughtered during the full moon. Apparently these are not your granddaddy's werewolves and just any old silver bullet won't do."

Fool Moon is book 2 in the Dresden Files series. I'm already enjoying this one more than Storm Front, which I liked a lot.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #10789
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Good for you....and you all read faster than me, I'm still working on The Sound and The Fury....
I loved that book. Wrote a paper on it for a 600-level class on modern Amer lit. The whole family is imprisoned by shameful secrets, yet the only one who voices his feelings is the family member who is least able to express himself. Keep reading. It is tough, but worth the effort.

Meanwhile, I am reading one that has been on my TBR list forever. It is "Traitor's Wife." i am halfway through and don't want to put it down. I think it might have been a Kindle freebie sometime last year. It is not a gushy romance. It is battle and court intrigue through the eyes of a noblewoman in 1300's England.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #10790
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished James Lee Burke's Jole Blon's Bounce . Classic Burke novel. Next Hidden Realities by Brian Greene
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #10791
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
I'm reading Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #10792
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool loosely-based

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
As I've posted on Good Reads:

"19% done with Fool Moon, by Jim Butcher: Loup-garous, Lycanthropes & Hexenwolves? Oh my! Werewolves have come to Chicago and Harry has to figure out the which as well as the why, before another dozen or so people are slaughtered during the full moon. Apparently these are not your granddaddy's werewolves and just any old silver bullet won't do."

Fool Moon is book 2 in the Dresden Files series. I'm already enjoying this one more than Storm Front, which I liked a lot.
if you view the tv episode titled hair of the dog you'll see just how very loosely-based the tv series is concerning the books, basically just a couple of characters and their affiliation with the fbi and no spoiler in either direction.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #10793
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
if you view the tv episode titled hair of the dog you'll see just how very loosely-based the tv series is concerning the books, basically just a couple of characters and their affiliation with the fbi and no spoiler in either direction.
I'm going to have to see if the series is on Netflix. I already picture Dresden as the actor who played him, so I guess it wouldn't hurt if I let the show fill in the others as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #10794
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
not a blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm going to have to see if the series is on Netflix. I already picture Dresden as the actor who played him, so I guess it wouldn't hurt if I let the show fill in the others as well.
yes, the series is available in both streaming and on dvd. the main characters are a bit different also, like connie [instead of karrin] murphy is a brunette [instead of a blonde]. bob can materialize. stuff like that.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #10795
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
...Next Hidden Realities by Brian Greene
Another on my TBR list!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #10796
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
yes, the series is available in both streaming and on dvd. the main characters are a bit different also, like connie [instead of karrin] murphy is a brunette [instead of a blonde]. bob can materialize. stuff like that.
Cool! Thanks.

I didn't realize that Bob does not fully materialize in the books. My mind just automatically filled that in from the series, as well. It's Karrin/Connie & Morgan that I don't really remember.

I'm 53% in now. Having a hard time finding a stopping point.
Murphy makes me so mad. She's so quick to judge & distrust Harry. If it weren't for the money, I don't know how he could work with her.

Last edited by Nyssa; 09-15-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #10797
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished Dead Beat (Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher last night. I'm glad I didn't stop reading this series after one or two books because with each book the series gets better. I do have to say that for someone who messes of technology just by being near it Harry knows a lot about movies.

I personally liked the tv series, which I watched after reading the first two books. I think of the as "inspired by" rather than "based on" (like many movies and tv series based on books).
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #10798
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Loose Cannon by David Drake

This is a couple of cold-war spy/action stories from the 1980s. I expect them to be a good read (I like David Drake's writing), but perhaps also with some interest in them as period pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have both of those in paperback and have read them at least three times each over the years.
Loose Cannon was quite interesting. I was surprised to find that they are completely independent, set in alternate universes. The first a straight thriller, the second with lots of SF themes thrown, but a bit too strange to be taken seriously. (And with one technical error that surprised me.)

It's time I got back to Agatha Christie again. It's been a couple of months since I last read one. This is her 24th book. Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #10799
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is this the David Drake of "Lord of the Isles" fame? It has been about 4 years since I read that, but need to re-read it. It was during my first blush of ebook reading, when I was still gorging on reading as many and as fast as possible. So a lot of those did not stick in memory.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #10800
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is this the David Drake of "Lord of the Isles" fame? It has been about 4 years since I read that, but need to re-read it. It was during my first blush of ebook reading, when I was still gorging on reading as many and as fast as possible. So a lot of those did not stick in memory.
Yes, same chap. He's done lots of good fantasy and Mil SF.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote