Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
New Kindle Voyage 3G, happy to be back in Mobileread, been awhile...

Hello all,

Haven't been active for awhile, but I've gone full circle with E-ink ebook reading. Quick history....

I joined this site back in 2006 when E-Readers were just beginning to grab a little traction. I started getting into E-Ink Ebook readers back before Kindle when the Sony Reader came to market. They of course did VERY little marketing followed by Kindle doing a lot of marketing, followed by increasing their marketshare on books. I don't think we need to talk about what happened to Sony.

I got out of the E-ink books when the iPad got introduced, and went solely with that as my primary consumption device. It's funny, I took a little look at my post history and got a kick out of reading about preordering the 1st Gen iPad. While it is great for so many things, and between iBooks, and the Sony Bookstore I couldn't move to the Kindle because I had too much money invested in DRMed EPub. I have used my Kindle apps on my iPad and iPhone for some books that were available on Kindle, but not iBooks, but remained unfortunately naively loyal to EPub.

2 years ago , my boss gave us Kindles for Christmas, and I downloaded the books I purchased on the Kindle App, held onto that for a couple years, but never really used it. Then the Paperwhite released, and I was intrigued. Since I tried to find ways, and couldn't move my collection over, I stayed on the sideline periodically searching ways to remove the DRM from the books I paid for so I could read them on multiple devices. I periodically tried converting through Calibre, but iBooks DRM was too strong.

This August, I am taking a nice long vacation on the beaches of Cancun. I love to read, and so I wanted to take a look at the E-ink readers that are available. A couple weeks ago, I was at Best Buy and looked at the Voyage and was blown away by the screen. I rebooted my mission to break the DRM to convert my books over and finally found it in an app. They offered a trial to convert 30% of a book to see how it worked. Then I converted the book to Mobi, plugged in the old Kindle, and it worked!!! An iBook on the Kindle! I purchased that software for full conversions, transferred the books to that Kindle and I cannot tell you how happy I am to regenerate my interest in E-ink.

At the same time I started deciding on 3G or not, Amazon advertised purchasing my Kindle at $33.50 plus an additional $20 towards a new Kindle purchase. Mind made, I had some Amazon points from my credit card, so I went with the 3G. I received it Wednesday and am completely so incredibly impressed with how far E-ink has come. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I was able to now transfer my entire book collection to this device.

I am looking now looking forward to receiving the Limited Edition Brown Leather case tomorrow. While I was at it, wanted to get back in the great Mobileread community, and am looking forward to contributing and some great discussion!
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Welcome back.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Welcome back.

Thank you 😁
Old 03-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Welcome back, what program did you use to transfer your books?
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
Welcome back, what program did you use to transfer your books?

Thank you. It's an amazing software called Tunekit ibookcopy. It offers a demo to convert a portion of the books so you know it definitely works, I paid $15 or $20 with a special they were running, but after I registered it I got the full version.

I then dragged the books from the iBook App on my Mac to the desktop. Then I dragged and dropped them into ibookcopy. I believe rather than breaking the drm, it opens the book and copies it to a non drm ePub format. I had to do this one book at a time, too many books opening so fast crashes iBooks.

I then moved those books into Calibre, converted them to Mobi, plugged the Kindle in and sent the books to my device.

I had also downloaded Send to Kindle but it duplicated all the titles on the device as Documents to download, if anyone knows how to convert those documents to books, I'd appreciate it.

This was pretty tedious work, but so worth it for the 1 time I had to do it.
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Thank you. It's an amazing software called Tunekit ibookcopy. It offers a demo to convert a portion of the books so you know it definitely works, I paid $15 or $20 with a special they were running, but after I registered it I got the full version.

I then dragged the books from the iBook App on my Mac to the desktop. Then I dragged and dropped them into ibookcopy. I believe rather than breaking the drm, it opens the book and copies it to a non drm ePub format. I had to do this one book at a time, too many books opening so fast crashes iBooks.

I then moved those books into Calibre, converted them to Mobi, plugged the Kindle in and sent the books to my device.

I had also downloaded Send to Kindle but it duplicated all the titles on the device as Documents to download, if anyone knows how to convert those documents to books, I'd appreciate it.

Hi! That actually doesn't sound too bad, good to know that such an app exists. As for Send to Kindle: "documents" is Amazon's nomenclature for books not bought on their service, they then also lack some of the features like hyphenation and cannot be read in the Mac and PC apps.
Otherwise I cannot but agree with you, I really enjoy reading on the Voyage... Really wish they would stop treating brought books as second rate books...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just to note that if you send books to your Kindle using Calibre, there's a Calibre plugin that can be used to add hyphenation to any KF8-format book, should you wish to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
In that case you must:
1) hyphenate epub before converting it to mobi (plugin doesn't support files with mobi extension)
2) convert it to "dual mobi" (= "both" as type in "Mobi output" tab of Calibre conversion window)
3) Send that mobi file to Cloud archive
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
In that case you must:
1) hyphenate epub before converting it to mobi (plugin doesn't support files with mobi extension)
2) convert it to "dual mobi" (= "both" as type in "Mobi output" tab of Calibre conversion window)
3) Send that mobi file to Cloud archive
Or just leave it as KF8, and transfer it to the Kindle via USB, which is what I personally do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Heh, I've read "Calibre" as "Cloud" in your post since previous posts were about Send to Kindle usage...
I also just use Calibre + USB cable to transfer hyphenated azw3 files, and generate fake page numbers and metadata plugboards functionality
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Just thought I would throw this out there for anybody that may had bought a Kindle recently...

Amazon has a sale right now for between $30-50 off Kindles. I called them and asked about a price match, they refunded my card $50 for my Voyage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post

I would suggest to keep the EPUB as your new master format, and convert it to AZW3 instead of MOBI. It's a much newer and much more sophisticated format that, most of the time, retains all layout of the EPUB.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I would suggest to keep the EPUB as your new master format, and convert it to AZW3 instead of MOBI. It's a much newer and much more sophisticated format that, most of the time, retains all layout of the EPUB.
That's in the case you want to retain the previous layout. I convert to MOBI to get rid of the EPUB layout, which I don't like most of the times. But I'm probably an exception.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-10-2016 at 03:57 AM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's in the case you want to retain the previous layout. I convert to MOBI to get rid of the EPUB layout, which I don't like most of the times. But I'm probably an exception.
You're not an exception. I've also been known to convert to .mobi because of annoying formatting.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:02 AM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This I don't understand. There isn't something like an EPUB layout. I've seen many different layouts in the books I have, and sometimes they are quite different.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote