Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Glo The best firmware prior to new home screen

I really detest the new home screen, which version of firmware is the best which has the previous home screen format.

Many thanks.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions. Mine is 3.19.5761.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My suggestion would be 3.19.5761 as well. The only other choice would be 4.3.9084 as it is the last firmware with the tiled home screen. But, the earlier 4.x firmware had lots of different problems, so they are hard to recommend.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My vote is for 3.19.5761 as well; that was a rock solid version. The 4.X series introduced a newer database driver though, which I appreciated. I have a large ebook collection and thus a large database file (1GB+) and I'd regularly get database corruption under 3.19 (easily fixable by compacting/rebuilding the database either through Calibre's Kobo Utilities plugin or an external SQL program), but that no longer occurred with the 4.X series. But as was mentioned, the earlier 4.X releases had various minor problems up to around 4.4+ or so, if memory serves.

Last edited by rtiangha; 04-09-2019 at 03:02 AM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions. Mine is 3.19.5761.
Another vote for this one; I run this one myself even though I'm in Koreader 90% of the time.

Even page flips are faster on this one.
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Thank you all for your replies. but my Glo wont connect to the internet after Wifi code is inserted I get a "Cant connect to network" error, this after several factory resets and trying different routers. *sigh* so annoying.

I'll have to apply the image remedy, I'll ask for a image in the other thread.

thanks folks.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
Thank you all for your replies. but my Glo wont connect to the internet after Wifi code is inserted I get a "Cant connect to network" error, this after several factory resets and trying different routers. *sigh* so annoying.

Not being able to connect to WiFi has nothing to do with the home page. And if the device is starting and working otherwise, then the image is of no use. The image is useful to solve problems such as not being able to start at all, or a failed SD card. The factory reset can help but mainly because it resets the WiFi configuration.

When does the device reports that it cannot connect to the network? A problem is that when the device connects, it tries to retrieve a URL and if it cannot, it will return the error and disconnect. The exact URL depends on the firmware version. Older firmware such as 3.19.5761 use a Microsoft URL. More recent uses a Kobo URL. If you are somewhere that blocks these URLs, or doesn't have a internet connection, the WiFi will not work.

Recent firmware has a way to avoid this by adding an entry to the config file. The latest released firmware, 4.13.12638, will report that it cannot see the internet, but will prompt to see if you want to ignore the problem.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

As david said, you don't need to connect your Kobo to wifi to install firmware. Indeed, if you want to run older firmware on your Kobo, you don't want to connect to wifi or it will auto-update.

You can install older Kobo firmware here: Kobo Firmware Releases
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Now that everyone has answered, I will say that you might want to try the most recent firmware.

Like you, I don't like the new homescreen as much as I liked the tiles, but once you use it for a bit, it's really not bad. And the other changes to the firmware made up for the homescreen in my opinion. Browsing through collections used to freeze up my Aura for minutes. Now it just takes a few seconds. There are other performance and stability updates that really helped my Aura which is almost as old as your Glo.

The tiles are nice and I wish Kobo would bring them back. But I would say don't let that blind you from updates that will much improve your overall experience.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

In a discussion elsewhere, your problem was mentioned. If the network issues are happening after the factory reset while setting up the device, it is probably due to the older firmware using TLS1.1 but the servers only supporting TLS1.2. You will either need to use the Kobo desktop app to do the setup, or manually install newer firmware before the setup. There is also a possibility that the root certificates in the firmware have expired.

Another possibility suggested was the time on the device was wrong. That can prevent the TLS handshaking from working.