Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #31
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

Michael Crichton's (of Andromeda Strain fame) Great Train Robbery - sometimes referred-to as The First Great Train Robbery - hit the spot for me. It contains much in the way of explanation of attitudes and lifestyle for the era in which it is set - shortly after the advent of steam trains in England, during the Crimean War.

So too, Caleb Carr's The Alienist was a delight. Set in New York around the start of the 20th century, an "alienist" was what they now refer to as a forensic psychologist.

Both books are rich with a sense of place, and detail.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #32
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Genghis Birth of an Empire

I noticed Conn Iggulden's new book, Kahn, Empire of Silver available for preorder. I'm always looking for historical fiction, so I checked out the others in the series. The first Genghis: Birth of an Empire is available for 1.59 (US). At that price I picked it up.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #33
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would like to think my own novel An Agent of the King is a good read! I have to agree that the Great Train Robbery is a cracking read too
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #34
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Barry Unsworth is an often forgotten but very good historical novelist. Some of his books are available as ebooks, but precisely what will vary depending on where you are.

And don't forget Umberto Eco.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #35
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
....I've read a lot of Bernard Cornwell's stuff, and ... a little bit of Patrick O'Brien...
I've also read Cornwell's Saxon series and the whole 20 books in O'Brien's Master and Commander series.

Other authors that I've enjoyed are:

Edward Rutherford - Russka; London; The Princes of Ireland and its sequel The Rebels of Ireland,

Leon Uris - Trinity; Exodus; QB VII

Ken Follet - Pillars of the Earth; World Without End; and lately released Fall of Giants (we have it in hard cover; not sure if its available electronically)

Conn Iggulden - the Emperor Series of 4 books on the life of Julius Caesar, and now up to the 4th book (Empire of Silver) in his Conqueror Series on Genghis Khan and the Mongols.

Keith

Last edited by KrowNB; 11-28-2010 at 08:22 PM.
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #36
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm reading Follett's Pillars of the Earth now, and am loving it - so much wonderful detail, but without bogging the story down. I also recommend The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney (I think that's the right name.) It's sort of an historical mystery that takes place in the Canadian frontier.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #37
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
If the 1940s count (I hope they do!), I can recommend December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith, the same author who wrote Gorky Park. December 6 has been overlooked but I think it's a great story that gets inside Imperial Japan on the eve of Pearl Harbor through the eyes of an American expat with one foot in both cultures. The story has shades of Casablanca:

http://www.amazon.com/December-6-ebo...1164444&sr=1-1

Also, like Slowrain mentioned above, Alan Furst's espionage novels are always good for great historical and character detail without overdoing it (usually).

Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #38
litenin
litenin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1
anything by James Michener
litenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #39
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney is a good one - takes place in the Canadian wilderness in the 1800's (if I remember correctly - it might be in the century before that, even.)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #40
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
Puller's Runner was also a nice and inspiring story by Nick Ragland.
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #41
mgscarsbrook
Connoisseur
mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.mgscarsbrook seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Sony EReader
I always like Robert Harris - his series on Cicero in ancient Rome (like CONSPIRATA) is excellent. Full of political intrigue! Like a Roman soap opera!

M. G. Scarsbrook
Author of The Marlowe Conspiracy
mgscarsbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #42
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Also, just discovered a great resource -- this site lists historical fiction by period:

historicalnovels.info/

-- Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #43
1tractor
1tractor began at the beginning.

Device: prs-350 t1 k3
Thumbs up just the best

[QUOTE=cassidym;1095636]Try the Flashman series; absolutely hilarious and, historically, accurate[/QUO
he did screen play for movies 007 to name one
Attached Images
File Type: bmp waxman_murders.bmp (10.4 KB, 197 views)
1tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
RVnook
RVnook began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK First Edition
I'll echo the recommendation for Dorothy Dunnett. I've enjoyed her Lymond Chronicles so much that I'm reading the series for the third time.
RVnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #45
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Colleen McCullough – the “Masters of Rome” series (my favourite Historical Fiction series)

Christian Cameron - "Tyrant" series (Alexandrian times) and his new "Long War" series (Greek-Persian wars) (red only one book of this so far).

Steven Pressfield:
Gates of Fire, about the Battle of Thermopylae
Tides of War, about the Peloponnesian War
Last of the Amazons, about Theseus and Amazons
The Virtues of War, about Alexander
The Afghan Campaign, also about Alexander

Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote