Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
deb27
Enthusiast
deb27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Catalog causes Kindle to lock up

I've got a Kindle 2 version 2.5.6.
Using Calibre version 0.7.31.

I created two catalogs. One has all my books and the other has just my unread books (I excluded the books with the "+" tag).

I have an intermittent problem with the catalogs when I view them on the Kindle. Unfortunately it's not always repeatable in the same way. Today I opened my unread books catalog. I clicked View selection list. Clicked on Genres. Got the first page of the genre list. Then decided that wasn't what I wanted so I clicked View selection list again. This time cursor'd over to the number in parens next to Genres (in this case (37)). Clicked. Page 1 of 19 was displayed. Typed in the search box, changed my mind and then tried to hit next page.

Kindle locked up.
None of the keys would do anything. Waited a few minutes.
  • Flicked the power switch to get into screen saver mode. Nothing happened. Held the power switch off for about 5 seconds. Kindle shut off.
  • Flicked the power switch to turn on. Nothing happened.
  • Held the power switch for 60 seconds. Nothing happened.
  • Flicked the power switch again, finally it rebooted and came up.

This past weekend a similar lockup occurred with a catalog. This time, when it rebooted it starting rebooting infinitely. Over and over it would start displaying the contents of the kindle (it starts by showing the collections and then has to think before displaying the total number of books). I'd see my list of collections and then it would reboot again. I kept holding down keys and playing with the power switch and finally it rebooted and stayed there.

I have no idea how to debug this because it's not consistently repeatable. If you've got any ideas I'd be happy to collect more data. I love calibre and the catalog. I'd hate to stop using it
deb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd suggest creating smaller catalogs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
deb27
Enthusiast

The unread book catalog I created is fairly small. It has a total of 84 books in it. Do you consider 84 books to be a large catalog? According to Calibre it is 0.5 MB and the full catalog (which has about 320 books) is 1.5 MB.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, 84 is fine. In that case, I don't have any bright ideas, lets wait for GRiker who wrote the catalog code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
I have no idea how to debug this because it's not consistently repeatable. If you've got any ideas I'd be happy to collect more data. I love calibre and the catalog. I'd hate to stop using it
Create a ticket as described in the first post in this thread. Attach the problem catalog to the ticket.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
deb27
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the job was no longer listed in Calibre. I guess it must delete them after a certain time. I regenerated the catalog but this one hasn't caused any crashes.

However I did notice some errors in the job details.
Quote:
Collecting Kindle bookmarks matching catalog entries
Error: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table
53 genre tags in database (excluding genres matching \[.+\]):
If you think that's important enough to open a ticket, I'll create one with the entire log.

thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
deb27: If you generate another catalog that crashes the Kindle, create a ticket and attach the generated catalog to the ticket, plus the log if it's available.

With respect to the error you listed, try generating the catalog with the Kindle disconnected. Apparently one of the PDF files installed on your Kindle is malformed. That shouldn't create a problem for the catalog, but it's possible. Disconnecting the Kindle during catalog generation will avoid that problem.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalog