Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
Now using my Kindle instead of old Sony - can't access previously bought books

I received a Kindle as a present during the past Xmas. Initially, I read my Kindle books on the Kindle and used the Sony to reread previously bought books. Then, gradually, even though I think the Sony is more user friendly in many respects (like the bookmark feature, go to page, etc.), I stopped using it simply because it was way too easy to buy books from Amazon for the Kindle. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of books in my Calibre library that I can't transfer onto my Kindle because they are the DRM'd epub files. I've tried to follow some of the stuff re python and removal of DRM and it all gives me a headache. Is there any other way for me to access the ePub books I own via my Kindle? There are some "to be read" books on my Sony that I'd love to move over.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
katekindle
katekindle began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd say go to convert print for kindle. You can change it on the web. Go here to get some help and alternatives. Kindle Reader and SONY Reader don't interact well. I have a SONY and just bought a story on Amazon. Had to install kindle reader on my pc for free and have to read it there. what a drag.
katekindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Its actually quite easy if you download both K4PC and Calibre, send me a PM if you have difficulties, it took me a while and I found the stuff on the web very, very, confusing, but now I buy all my books for the Kindle and read them on the Sony, cheaper too. They are mostly DRM books that I buy and no problems at all
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Google Apprentice Alf and use Calibre
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The 3rd party DRM-stripping plug-ins for Calibre don't require you to install python, and are much easier to use than older tools. There are separate plug-ins for Kindle and Adobe DRM, so you can go from Kindle or from Sony. As usual, Apprentice Alf's Blog is where to go for DRM-related info.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
Sorry I just followed the instructions this weekend and SUCCESS!! Thank you to all who responded/PM'd.

I hate feeling a bit guilty doing the roundabout to read books I *own*, but clearly not guilty enough to ignore this option.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I hate feeling a bit guilty doing the roundabout to read books I *own*, but clearly not guilty enough to ignore this option.
The viewpoint of the publishers/vendors is that you don't own the ebooks you buy from them (any more than you own the words in in the printed book you buy), you have purchased a license to read them on a specific device. That's what it says in the Terms of Service on Amazon, anyway.

I'm not arguing with anybody, just pointing out what it says.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
The viewpoint of the publishers/vendors is that you don't own the ebooks you buy from them (any more than you own the words in in the printed book you buy), you have purchased a license to read them on a specific device. That's what it says in the Terms of Service on Amazon, anyway.

I'm not arguing with anybody, just pointing out what it says.
But they DO want you to pay the same price as for the DTB (which you DO own).
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
But they DO want you to pay the same price as for the DTB (which you DO own).
You only own the paper it is printed on, you don't own the IP (the work itself). Yes, you can sell the physical book, but you don't have the right for someone to make copies of it.

What's wrong with charging the same price? Price has very little to do with production costs, just ask the drug companies.

Companies have pretty much always tried to keep the price high for in-demand products. You probably don't remember dealers charging $1,000 over list for Honda Accords the year after they were introduced (1976). People still couldn't wait to hand over money to get one.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Hey, these are YOUR books after all.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
What's wrong with charging the same price? Price has very little to do with production costs,
And production costs have very little to do with value.
They're not in business just to recover their costs.
(Still though, it erks me when ebooks cost MORE than the paperback.)

Last edited by ApK; 06-01-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: darned homophones
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I think part of the pricing issue is the publishers assume that because someone is willing to pay $200+ for an e-reader they will be willing to high prices for the e-books, both to use it and because they have the money to do so. I don't think they really look at it as e-books cost less therefore they should be less, it's what people are willing to pay. There must be enough people buying these books for them to be making their money, otherwise prices would drop. For example, when speaking to people on a non-e-book forum, many of the women there had been paying £10-£14 for each e-book and seemed surprised when I said I wouldn't pay more than £3 for most.

I think e-book prices will dramatically decline when e-readers become cheaper, and therefore more of a household item, and so affordable for a wider range of people.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Why feel guilty? You should give yourself a high-five and be happy you can use the things you purchased.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote