Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by digbybare View Post
Is "M come" a standard Cantonese phrase? Also, do phrases like "We We Wet Wet" not have characters they can be written in?

I don't know Cantonese so I'm genuinely curious.
----------------------

alright i missed a post saying that it's a cantonese dictionary.
----------------------

I think "M come" is used to avoid the ambiguity of defining "M", which, in this particular situation, means menstruation. it's commonly used on Chinese SNS websites though.

I can confirm that "pat pat" or "食鹽多過你食米,行橋多過你行路 食盐多过你食米, 行桥多过你行路", "畫公仔唔使畫出腸 画公仔唔使画出肠" are obviously Cantonese. but many non-standard, uncommon characters are used to “put the language into scripts” so maybe the author didn't know about the actual characters or he simply doesn't have an input method specially designed.
anyway, besides, though i'm a Cantonese speaker, i'm no native and i'm not sure about the last phrase.

BTW, the "Ron Weasley" part is from Harry Potter, the Taiwan based edition.

Last edited by phoeagon; 11-09-2012 at 09:48 PM.
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
BTW the phonetic system in this dictionary is not the one most widely used. //if you need to refer to them, though
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Nible
Nible began at the beginning.

Device: none (yet)
Quote:
I had trouble finding a good mobi version of CC-CEDICT, so I ended up creating one, you might find it useful.
Hey again. Been waiting months for my Paperwhite now, due to shortage they aren't delivered to Sweden right now. :/

Anyway, I was just going to ask, if I may, if this dictionary works with both traditional Chinese and simplified. So, does it? I might be going to Taiwan next year and if I do, I will have to learn traditional Characters.

Thanks again!
Nible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Did anyone else's Chinese dictionaries (official Chinese to Chinese one included) break since the 5.3.1 update? They can still search and find the definition, but previously they'd look for the compound if they could. That is to say, it would see that the two characters or four characters belong together. Now it just searches the single word unless you explicitly search for the compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nible View Post
Anyway, I was just going to ask, if I may, if this dictionary works with both traditional Chinese and simplified. So, does it? I might be going to Taiwan next year and if I do, I will have to learn traditional Characters.
Yep, all of the Chinese dictionaries will work either way. That is to say they'll still display the definition in whatever format the dictionary is in, but the input can be either traditional or simplified. In the case with the YEDICT here, it is in traditional, but when you hover over a simplified word, it'll display both the simplified character and the traditional side by side.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Nible
Nible began at the beginning.

Device: none (yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Yep, all of the Chinese dictionaries will work either way. That is to say they'll still display the definition in whatever format the dictionary is in, but the input can be either traditional or simplified. In the case with the YEDICT here, it is in traditional, but when you hover over a simplified word, it'll display both the simplified character and the traditional side by side.
Happy to hear that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Did anyone else's Chinese dictionaries (official Chinese to Chinese one included) break since the 5.3.1 update? They can still search and find the definition, but previously they'd look for the compound if they could. That is to say, it would see that the two characters or four characters belong together. Now it just searches the single word unless you explicitly search for the compound.
Not as happy to hear this, though! Have you been able to fix it?
Nible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Not yet, but I don't read too much in Chinese so I haven't tried anything outside a reset.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Hello, pardon the OT. But how can I find Chinese or Chinese-English ebooks online? Myreading level for Chinese is low and I do not mind children's books , bilingual books or books with hanyu Pinyin. Also, does anyone know whether text to speech works for Chinese? I'm guessing it doesn't but I'm an optimist.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
Bungee28
Bungee28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you !!

Quote:
I had trouble finding a good mobi version of CC-CEDICT, so I ended up creating one, you might find it useful.
I registered for an account here to express my appreciation for this wonderful dictionary!

I've been searching for a Chinese-to-English Kindle look-up dictionary for the longest time. It's extremely frustrating that Amazon doesn't offer one, even though I would gladly pay for it. I had no idea that MOBI dictionaries work for the Kindle.

Your CC-CEDICT.mobi is a fantastic resource for learning Chinese and reading Chinese text on a Kindle. I can't thank you enough.
Bungee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
there's another similar mobi format Chinese-English dictionary based on CC-CEDICT.

unfortunately, the author couldn't make Kindle use it at that time (2010). now that Chinese is officially supported in K4 and K5, perhaps someone can modify it to make it work.

the dictionary can be found at http://hewgill.com/hanzidict/
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote