Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #46
nicolasavru
nicolasavru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
You are a gentleman and a scholar, good sir!
Amazing work NiLuJe, thank you.
nicolasavru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviewolf83 View Post
Would it be possible to provide the CModBold fonts? These are the ones I have been using from Tedsans site.

Thank you for providing the updates for the fonts and the screensavers. I finally went ahead and installed version 2.5 of the firmware tonight. I have been holding off until a font hack was available and it is working great. I have my custom screensavers and now I have a way to easily change fonts.
I just added CModBold to the second post .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #48
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I just posted this info in my blog, if anyone wants to give it a scan and see if I wrote anything wrong, unclear, or just stupid: http://charles-reace.com/kindleminds...e-version-2-5/.

Now I'm off to add a link to the CModBold font....
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
I just posted this info in my blog, if anyone wants to give it a scan and see if I wrote anything wrong, unclear, or just stupid: http://charles-reace.com/kindleminds...e-version-2-5/.

Now I'm off to add a link to the CModBold font....
Nicely done! It's a good deal more detailed than my post in some aspects, and the screenshots are a nice addition!

Quick feedback: "Back in the 2.5-fonts-3.1.N folder, find the “update_fonts_3.1.N_XX_install.bin” for your Kindle type, where the “XX” is “k2″, “k2i”, “dx”, or “dxi”" < That should be k3 & k3i here, unless you repacked the zipfile .
Old 06-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #50
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Nicely done! It's a good deal more detailed than my post in some aspects, and the screenshots are a nice addition!

Quick feedback: "Back in the 2.5-fonts-3.1.N folder, find the “update_fonts_3.1.N_XX_install.bin” for your Kindle type, where the “XX” is “k2″, “k2i”, “dx”, or “dxi”" < That should be k3 & k3i here, unless you repacked the zipfile .
Thanks. I'll go fix that, then go to bed. I also fixed the typos in the links to the various font files (I hope!) in case anybody ran into that.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #51
Covenant
Covenant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US
@NiLuJe: Very great job!

Maybe I am posting in the wrong forum but your work is the best I read about Kindle hack. I have a Kindle DX US version. Can I use only the jailbreak tool to enable the usbnetwork communication in order to "register" my Kindle and obtain the "Collections" feature? (I live outside Whispernet coverage area, like many others people).
Thanks in advance for you answer.
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #52
tnolan
tnolan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Thank you for posting the fix to the problem with the font hack, NiLuJe! I was looking at it after the initial installation and thinking to myself, boy it's been longer than I thought without my Helvetica2 font....it kind of looks the same as what I just had. Now that I have downloaded and installed the fix, it once again looks like Helvetica2 and I am very happy!
tnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #53
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
And don't forget to restart your Kindle right away after changing the fonts, or weirdness may (and will) happen!
OK< I am getting this weirdness happening. After I have copied the font files into the font files of the kindle, I eject the kindle which is when I am supposed to restart. BUT - I am having issues. First issue was the 'attached kindle' page did not disappear from the kindle, but I could see the battery icon and space left on the top of the kindle. So I could not get to the settings page to restart. Finally got to the screensaver pages, and then when trying to wake the kindle, all that happens is that the next screensaver came on - it wouldnt wake up. NogDog on kindleboards got that sorted. Then I decided to try another kind of font, so I copied over again, ejected the kindle and the reading page came on (normal) but when I went into settings, instead of the settings page, I got the 'Deregister your kindle' option! Tried Cancel, and it wont disappear.

So instead of being able to restart the kindle as you say to do 'immediately' after changing the font, I have never been able to do this, other than by a holding of the wake button for a prolonged period. I guess this is ok but it might scare and panic a few people.

Hmm, now whenever I select 'settings' from the home page I get the deregister kindle message.

OK, did a wireless sync and I seem to be ok and am restarting. Fingers crossed.

So, I didnt like the font I had installed, so tried this again (third time lucky) and this time I left the wireless on while doing it. Worked like a charm!

Last edited by Pushka; 06-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #54
mikeage
mikeage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Well done. This is a much more elegant solution, and hopefully will be easier for people to use. Very well documented as well.
mikeage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #55
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It seems I am not the only one who has had problems accessing the 'restart' through the menu option. It gets there in the end, but only after a few trials and errors.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
OK< I am getting this weirdness happening. After I have copied the font files into the font files of the kindle, I eject the kindle which is when I am supposed to restart. BUT - I am having issues. First issue was the 'attached kindle' page did not disappear from the kindle, but I could see the battery icon and space left on the top of the kindle. So I could not get to the settings page to restart. Finally got to the screensaver pages, and then when trying to wake the kindle, all that happens is that the next screensaver came on - it wouldnt wake up. NogDog on kindleboards got that sorted. Then I decided to try another kind of font, so I copied over again, ejected the kindle and the reading page came on (normal) but when I went into settings, instead of the settings page, I got the 'Deregister your kindle' option! Tried Cancel, and it wont disappear.

So instead of being able to restart the kindle as you say to do 'immediately' after changing the font, I have never been able to do this, other than by a holding of the wake button for a prolonged period. I guess this is ok but it might scare and panic a few people.

Hmm, now whenever I select 'settings' from the home page I get the deregister kindle message.

OK, did a wireless sync and I seem to be ok and am restarting. Fingers crossed.

So, I didnt like the font I had installed, so tried this again (third time lucky) and this time I left the wireless on while doing it. Worked like a charm!
Yeah, I guess if it's the Sans and/or the Serif font that the software doesn't like, you could run into more 'blank areas' than I ran into in my quick tests. I actually ran into the exact same 'deregister issue', until I realised I was doing '[MENU] > Settings -> [CLICK]' instead of '[MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart'. And, indeed, the deregister option is the default link on the Settings page, so that's what's triggered when you click, even if you can't see the Settings page.

I'd be interested to know more about your screensavers issue, though...

I seem to remember having these sort of things happen when switching to/from broken fonts, but it may have happened once with working fonts, I don't remember... >_<"

But, yeah, if weird and scary things like that happen to you, the power switch is your friend ^^.

EDIT: Or, better yet, I just remembered that there _is_ a reboot keyboard shortcut: Alt + Shift + R!

EDIT²: Or, try rebooting just the framework: Alt + Shift + . (Not sure that'll be enough to actually swap the fonts, but, hey, if it does, that's way faster than a reboot! I'll try that tomorrow.)

EDIT2+1: Yeah, scratch that, that was K1 keyboard shortcuts. I'd be glad to know if there is an equivalent for these two shortcuts on the K2/KDX. Alt + Shift + . seems to only show a barcode with the serial number of my device on my k2i...

One 'safe' way to avoid this when switching fonts, provided the Kindle software handles them correctly, would be to remove the trigger file (linkfonts/auto), reboot, and then switch the fonts and recreate the trigger file, then reboot again. That's one more reboot, but it should be a bit safer.

If that doesn't make any sense, that's probably because it's 10 AM here, and I haven't slept yet.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #57
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
@NiLuJe: Very great job!

Maybe I am posting in the wrong forum but your work is the best I read about Kindle hack. I have a Kindle DX US version. Can I use only the jailbreak tool to enable the usbnetwork communication in order to "register" my Kindle and obtain the "Collections" feature? (I live outside Whispernet coverage area, like many others people).
Thanks in advance for you answer.
Sorry, I have absolutely zero experience with the usbnetwork hack. But after a quick search in the forums, it seems people here have been able to do exactly what you're looking for, so yeah, I guess it _should_ be possible.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 AM   #58
Covenant

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 AM   #59
Covenant

Quote:
Sorry, I have absolutely zero experience with the usbnetwork hack. But after a quick search in the forums, it seems people here have been able to do exactly what you're looking for, so yeah, I guess it _should_ be possible.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #60
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thanks so much for getting the font hack up! I really like the new way of adding/changing fonts, it's much quicker and easier.

Can I request that Helvetica (not the Helvetica2) be added to the list? That's my favorite font of the bunch! :P Thanks for the hard work in getting this up for all of us!
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet