Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Airline travel w/ prs 3oo

Heading to the Caribbean in march again and was wondering if any seasoned travelers might have some advise on procedures and cases for protection. Hoping to put my reader in wife's pocketbook or carry on. I have the sony case with light and the case logic zippered travel case. Any advice? Thanks.
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
King Windom
King Windom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
With the case and protection you have I think it should be OK in your wife's pocketbook. Most of the Caribbean uses the same power as the U.S. so charging should not be a problem (check where you are going to be sure) I have never carried my Reader on a trip, I just got it a week ago, but have always carried much camera equipment and never had a problem with airport security either here or the Caribbean. The X-ray machines should not hurt the reader.

The best advice I can give you is HAVE A GREAT TRIP!! Dan
King Windom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Don't forget that it won't charge from a wall powered USB port though, you'll need a USB host (laptop) or the PSP charger.

I just had mine in my jacket pocket last time as it was small enough to fit in there, then just throw that and all my other gadgetry through the scanner with no problems. I actually had my laptop in the other pocket of the same jacket, but it's only eeepc sized so handy for that.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Any suggestions for hanging around a resort pool with a reader? I think I'll have to lock it up somehow to the chair when I'm in the pool or ocean. Any ideas? Great thread.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
I'd start with something like this if hanging around the pool or beach, then worry about what you lock it to afterwards.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've taken my Readers on a few vacations and travelling with them is not a problem. If carrying on luggage then just leave it in the carry-on bag when going through security. When on the plane it works the same as any other electronic device, meaning turn off or standby with taking off or landing.

When near a pool or on a beach I usually put it in a ziplock bag. They are not waterproof but water resistant enough to repel water droplets. If I'm in the pool, I prefer to have a beach bag to keep my Reader out of sight of others. Wrap it in an extra towel and bury in the bottom of the beach bag for safety.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Thanks to all for the travel advice. Can't wait to lay under a palm tree with my new reader and a good book, dark sunglasses so the topless bathers don't notice the gawking, and a fresh rum punch every so often. Ahhh life is good at times.
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
yoyos_vstar
yoyos_vstar began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-300
travelling with Ebooks

I am going to Cuba soon and someone mentionned that a piece of electronics was confiscated by the security at the cuban airport. anyone been to Cuba with an Ebook? any problems going thru security???
yoyos_vstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
My 700 and 300 have made many trips to and from Hawaii / Las Vegas and just returned from Japan / China. On the Japan / China trip, had no problem taking it through secirity in my carry-on bag. Charging was no problem using the PSP / barrel plug. I think most things are now built for 100-240V input, so don't need a converter, and the sockets in China had holes with slots built in so they could accept different sized plugs. Only things I couldn't fit were with the ones that were wider on one side like hair dryer and curling iron. If the prongs were both the same, they fit.

This might sound like an ad, but I love my Gomadic charger / tips / plugs / retractable cords, etc. Charges just about everything I have with one wall plug, retractable cord and whatever tip is needed. Pocket charger was just an extra so I could charge things on the go when a wall socket wasn't available. (Only thing the pocket charger didn't want to charge was the newest iPod Touch, but worked on my old Nano. Must be an Apple thing - they seem to love adding glitches.)

I had the 300 and only charged once when it went down a bar - probably could have made the whole 1 1/2 week trip fine without charging. My friend had my 700 and had to use the pocket charger every 1 - 2 days. With the pocket charger, it wasn't a problem charging in the plane or the bus. I wasn't willing to loan my cords - afraid she'd lose them.

This is the pocket charger setup - but they have all combinitions for just about any device.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-prs-300-reader-pocket-edition--lithium-portable-battery-charger.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	45117  
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Best charging option for travel or any other use is a PSP data/power cable. (Mentioned a zillion times already on these boards.) It will let you charge any Reader from ANY usb port (computer, car charger, wall charger) with no fear of discharging. And it's very light, being just a cable. You can always find a usb port wherever you may be these days.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote