Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Secure Epub at Fictionwise!

I was browsing through the Fictionwise site and adding too many books to my cart, when I realized that some of my selections were offered in secure epub! It's only offered as an option on some books, but I don't remember seeing any notification about it, either from Fictionwise or here on Mobileread. I'm assuming this is the normal Adobe Epub, but I may send them an email to verify before I purchase any books from them in the secure Epub format.

I know they've offered Epub as one of the choices in their multi-format titles, but I don't recall having seen any secure Epub titles previously. It's still not an option you can specify as a default in your profile, so perhaps they're experimenting with a limited number of titles before committing to the format.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I've suspected (hoped???) for a while that once Barnes & Noble starts carrying ePUB that Fictionwise won't be far behind, so maybe this is the beginning of that.

Can you give an example of a book with the secure ePUB format? I tried to find one, but couldn't (not surprising if it's a limited test).

Thanks!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I wonder if this is the "old" style ePubDRM based on ADEPT and your AdobeID/Device or the new style ePub DRM with AdobeID/password (slightly more palatable and portable)
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
can't find any when i use the advanced search. the secure formats don't include epub... yet?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My current "cart" has several books available in EPUB, including:

Giants: The Parallel Lives of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln by John Stauffer

One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev, and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War by Michael Dobbs and

The Harry Bosch Novels Volume 2: The Last Coyote, Trunk Music, Angels Flight by Michael Connelly

I haven't tried searching for titles by format, but I do know you can't yet indicate EPUB as your default format choice, so I'm guessing EPUB support is very limited right now. But it's encouraging to see even a few titles available.

It only makes sense to support Secure EPUB, given the increasing number of readers that support it, and the corresponding decrease in Mobipocket support.

I'll certainly have to remember to look for EPUB in future fictionwise purchases.

SteveK
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Thanks - I hope it's the beginning of a trend. If so I may be buying from FW again.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
or the new style ePub DRM with AdobeID/password (slightly more palatable and portable)
Hang on ! There is an other drm for ePub ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I wonder if this is the "old" style ePubDRM based on ADEPT and your AdobeID/Device or the new style ePub DRM with AdobeID/password (slightly more palatable and portable)
It must be the old-style DRM, because there are no content servers for the new-style DRM yet.

FictionWise used to offer Adobe PDF ebooks, but there have been no new ones for a while. Now many of the titles with EPUB versions also have Adobe (i.e. Adobe PDF ebook) versions. You can search for Adobe (PDF) ebooks, and many will also have ePub versions. However, the actual new releases all seem to be eReader and MOBI only, unless their new releases page needs work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yes, or there will be soon. It is currently only supported on the Nook. See Adobe CS5 introduces password-protected ebook DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Given that Fictionwise are now owned by B&N there is a faint chance that they too have access to the Nook style ePub DRM?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
My current "cart" has several books available in EPUB, including:

Giants: The Parallel Lives of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln by John Stauffer

One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev, and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War by Michael Dobbs and

The Harry Bosch Novels Volume 2: The Last Coyote, Trunk Music, Angels Flight by Michael Connelly

I haven't tried searching for titles by format, but I do know you can't yet indicate EPUB as your default format choice, so I'm guessing EPUB support is very limited right now. But it's encouraging to see even a few titles available.

It only makes sense to support Secure EPUB, given the increasing number of readers that support it, and the corresponding decrease in Mobipocket support.

I'll certainly have to remember to look for EPUB in future fictionwise purchases.

SteveK
Putting in the links instead of underlines would be a rather good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yes. B&N are planning to introduce "eReader" DRM on ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fictionwise needed to add ePub or go down the tubes. The more devices that support secure ePub, the less sales they'll make.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Given that Fictionwise are now owned by B&N there is a faint chance that they too have access to the Nook style ePub DRM?
Possibly, but when I asked about whether B&N would offer a discount toward epub re-download of previous-purchase Mobipocket DRM books at Fictionwise (as an incentive to buy a nook), I was told to go pound sand. I assume this is because they're selling out all available stock without any incentives.

Looks like I'll stick with my Sony.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
SteveK
Addict

Jon - I wasn't sure how to insert a link, so I just underlined the titles to be grammatically correct. I did try to insert a link, but it appeared to be rather messy, so I just stuck with the underlined title.

Thanks.

SteveK