Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
PRS-500 not recognized by Calibre?

So I just got my newly updated (hooray for epub upgrade) PRS-500 back from Sony. Linux now sees my device as soon as I plug it in (Didn't before), but Calibre doesn't seem to notice it exists. For all intents and purposes Calibre is useless for managing the device at the moment.

Ideas?
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
TheMooch
Member Retired

So I tried calibre-debug -d and here's what I get (I've diabled plugins for everything except Sony and Kindle btw):

Code:
[monty@localhost ~]$ calibre-debug -d
USB devices on system: [(16700, 33093, 256), (7531, 2, 518), (7531, 1, 518), (1356, 798, 554), (7531, 1, 518), (7531, 1, 518), (7531, 1, 518), (2652, 17667, 256), (2652, 17666, 256), (16700, 33062, 256), (2652, 17664, 256), (7531, 1, 518), (1452, 4754, 1), (1447, 4128, 256), (1118, 1885, 256), (1293, 567, 7), (1293, 567, 7), (7531, 2, 518), (1033, 90, 256)]
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for PRS500
Looking for PRS505
Looking for PRS700
So it's not being detected at all.

I can mount the device using:
Code:
pmount /dev/sdb
Unfortunately it makes zero difference.
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The PRS 500 cannpot be mounted, it's not a usb mass storage device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The PRS 500 cannpot be mounted, it's not a usb mass storage device.
The updated PRS-500 (with the ePub firmware) is now a USB mass storage device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
So I just got my newly updated (hooray for epub upgrade) PRS-500 back from Sony. Linux now sees my device as soon as I plug it in (Didn't before), but Calibre doesn't seem to notice it exists. For all intents and purposes Calibre is useless for managing the device at the moment.

Ideas?
Bump! (Waiting for my PRS-500 to receive new firmware!)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
TheMooch
Member Retired

Either way....mounted or unmounted Calibre refuses to see it!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
TheMooch
Member Retired

To clarify though, with the new firmware in the PRS-500 it shows as "96 MB Filesystem" on my linux box when I plug it into the usb. It auto-mounts.

If I unmount it and try Calibre again it's as if it's not plugged in at all.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
To clarify though, with the new firmware in the PRS-500 it shows as "96 MB Filesystem" on my linux box when I plug it into the usb. It auto-mounts.

If I unmount it and try Calibre again it's as if it's not plugged in at all.
I'm curious: is that with or without memory card?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

Do you have access to a PRS-500, Kovid?
It's good news, btw: once calibre supports new firmwared PRS-500's you'll never have reason to get another message from me complaining my PRS-500 won't mount right in calibre Should be similar to the 505..

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre doesn't support the 500 with new firmware. I probably have an old 500 lying around somewhere, but it would need to be shipped to SONY.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
calibre doesn't support the 500 with new firmware. I probably have an old 500 lying around somewhere, but it would need to be shipped to SONY.
Good idea to send it off: give the thing a whole new lease of life theoretically
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What needs to be run so you can see what is returned when then 500 is mounted? I can easily do it as long as it can be done on Windows XP or Windows 7.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just

calibre-debug -d

presumably the new firmware make the 500 act like the 505, so the driver should be a straight port
Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
TheMooch
Member Retired

Taking one for the team. :o)

Kovid,

In the interest of getting Calibre "up to date" with the new firmware I'm willing to send you my PRS-500 if that'll help. I'll want it back, of course, but I'm not using it at the moment. I read most of my books through Kindle for the iPhone so it wouldn't put me out at all.

Let me know if you'd like to do that. I've got a box here and get it shipped out this week if you want. Email me at Eric.Montgomery at yahoo.

Eric
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just

calibre-debug -d

presumably the new firmware make the 500 act like the 505, so the driver should be a straight port
I'll do so later on today and post the results.