Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"And that makes it a problem because - ?

Truly not getting the big deal here"

Well IMHO it, Digital Hoarding as with any addictive behaviour, an become the cause of unneeded anxiety
as the mere act of collecting/downloading
the content begins to overtake the pleasure of actually consuming it.
and incidents such as crashed hard drives/datalosses take an unusual emotion toll on people who have become addicted to having their hoard.
I personally know people who have risked loss of employment by violation of company policies against personal web surfing on company time
because they cant wait to get home to download yet another new "3D Item".

no its not on the level of alcoholism etc, but it can cause
problems in relationships.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Tell me about it. I know people who spend over an hour or more on work days, regularly, to find torrent and nzb files for the stuff they want, so they can mail them to their clients to be downloaded. "Then it will be done when I get home." Those are the same people who will proudly exclaim to have downloaded 500GB this month, and boast that they use a huge industrial NAS, effectively serving up 50+ terabytes of storage. (And it costs thousands of dollars to buy such a thing with all its hard drives.)

That's f****** useless. These people should seek help. IMHO.

Having a few free ebooks doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. What are you worrying about?

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-12-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
From the rumblings I've heard from authors in the KDPS program, there are two main camps.

The first camp freaks out because 10,000 people downloaded their book for free but there's no sign that they read it. They feel a lack of control because they can't force them to read it, they can't find out if they read it (unless they review it), they just turn the book loose and then wonder if they did the right thing.

The second camp understands that their book is now in the hands of at least 9,950 people who probably would not have ever heard of the book otherwise, allowing them to reach a potential audience they didn't have before. It turned some "never will reads" into "might reads".

I never ask myself if it's fair. I ask myself, does this look like something I'd read? If yes, I get it. I might read it, I might not, but chances are I would never have laid eyes on the book had it not been free.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I concur with some of the above that there is no ethical problem with your downloading more content than you believe you can read.

If the author releases it for free as a promotional tactic, they have to understand that some people won't bother to read the book. It doesn't (shouldn't) cost the author anything. And if 1 out of 10 of those people wind up buying another book, they've done alright.

I agree the real problem with hoarding can be the mentality of the hoarder -- but only if it really does impact your enjoyment of reading, or otherwise gets out of hand. I don't think downloading a handful of books that you won't read is a serious issue. If you download 50 free books a day, 5 days a week, that might indicate a problem.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"What are you worrying about?"
Where have I announced that I am "worried?????

Someone mentioned the first world phenomenon of digital file collecting and I expanded on their comment...simple
just making conversation..
relax people ;-).
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Where have I announced that I am "worried?????
Not you, the topic starter
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Not you, the topic starter
Worried? I'm not all that worried. But some smart guy said, "the unexamined life isn't worth living".

I'm just trying to make sure I get my full share of worthy living.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Having just retired, I wonder how many books I've read that I simply don't remember reading.
Look on the bright side you can re-read those titles again as if for the 1st time. I don't see a problem with building a collection. That way you always have something you might want to read at hand even if the newer books that come after this or that one don't catch your interest. At least with ebooks you don't have to worry about running short on shelf space either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I concur with some of the above that there is no ethical problem with your downloading more content than you believe you can read.

If the author releases it for free as a promotional tactic, they have to understand that some people won't bother to read the book. It doesn't (shouldn't) cost the author anything. And if 1 out of 10 of those people wind up buying another book, they've done alright.

I agree the real problem with hoarding can be the mentality of the hoarder -- but only if it really does impact your enjoyment of reading, or otherwise gets out of hand. I don't think downloading a handful of books that you won't read is a serious issue. If you download 50 free books a day, 5 days a week, that might indicate a problem.
But better a hoard of free ebooks than some of the other things people end up hoarding. After all you don't have to build physical shelves for ebooks.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
OP, will we see you on that show, My Strange Addiction?
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
Does Hollywood REALLY care about books and reading? All that "thinky" stuff doesn't sell toaster pastries.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
Vive la dépendance à la lecture!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
But better a hoard of free ebooks than some of the other things people end up hoarding. After all you don't have to build physical shelves for ebooks.
Yeah, and you don't have to worry that your stacks of ebooks will fall over and kill somebody!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Vive la dépendance à la lecture!
Exactement !
If I had to choose an addiction, that would be it.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yeah, and you don't have to worry that your stacks of ebooks will fall over and kill somebody!
...or harbor vermin, or block entry by emergency service people....
Isn't there something about not messing with someone's head unless the condition adversely impacts their life, lest the cure be far worse than the disease?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote