Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
T1 Screen protector or not?

Hi, I could use the help of some T1 users. How robust is the T1 screen?

We've had a T1 in the house for a few months now. Shortly after getting it, I ordered a case online and it came with some screen protectors. I put one on the device. My wife has taken the T1 and I never see it anymore. Given that she's a bit of a klutz the protector might be a good idea. However, I've noticed, when I used it, that the protector is quite reflective. At certain angles, the glare from the bedside lamp makes it unreadable. My wife says it doesn't bother her in her use of it.

I now have a T1 coming my way as a Christmas present. It will be mine! All mine!

I really liked the clear, glare-free unprotected screen. It made for the finest reading experience. My question to you all is how tough is the screen? Will it hold up well in regular use if I don't use a screen protector? I know I'd enjoy the readability of the naked screen better but I'm concerned about scratches. I want to make this last.

Also, does anyone have experience with a good screen protector that isn't reflective/glaring?

Oh, and yes, I will be using a cover. The package comes with the standard Sony T1 cover.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've had my ereader now for 2 years. I take it with me everywhere, either in my purse during the hot months, or in pockets once it gets cooler. It's always been used in the Sony official cover and I've never used a screen protector.

And after 2 years there are zero scratches, nicks, gouges or imperfections on the screen anywhere. The screen is as good as new.

If you keep yours in a cover and exercise the least amount of caution while using it (ie, don't drop your keys on the screen like some dimwit did and then complained when it scratched the glass that the reader was flimsy and poorly built), you won't need a screen protector on it at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I used my old prs505 for 4 years in its case without a screen protector and the screen was still pristine when I retired it (dead battery). My T1 has no screen protector either, just it's case to protect it. As long as you use common sense and don't rub nail files or sharp objects on the screen, in my opinion a screen protector is completely unnecessary.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Skip the screen protector and invest in a good cover instead. Enjoy your new T1!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I agree, no need for screen protector, just a cover. I had a 600 in use for 3 years and I read a lot. There are a very few scratches on the screen but they seem to relate to use of the supplied stylus oever time. They do not affect the readability of the screen.
The worst problem is the 600 screen is a bit reflective, my new T2 is much better
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert