Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Foothills
Foothills began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Image Size Control In Reader odt >> ePub

I'm generating ePub files from .odt source using calibre 0.8.65 and OpenOffice 3.4.0 on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7.

I'm having problems controlling the visual size of the images in the resulting ePub files as they display in the reader. The image source files are fairly large (nominally 1600x1200 or 1200x1600 at 200 DPI) but after inserting in the .odt I reduce the display size to fit the text flow by dragging the corners appropriately. I'm then able to double-tap on the more-or-less thumbnail images in the resulting ePub on my iPad 2 and view the full size original - pinch, stretch, and pan all work fine.

The problem is that certain files (particularly ones in portrait orientation) don't seem to retain the smaller desired display size in the reader and force page breaks where I don't want/need them to be. Even if I crank the image all the way down to a postage stamp in the .odt they still expand to fill the complete page in the reader.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong (especially as it all works correctly for 75% of the 40 images done this way)?

Thanks in advance ...
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
lrui
Enthusiast
lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Extra-css

img{with:50%;
text-align:center}

You can specify width to make it fit your needs.
Set the width using a percent value.
lrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Foothills

Thanks for the suggestion.

This has impact on the document as viewed in the calibre e-book reader, but doesn't do anything re: what is seen in iBooks on the iPad 2.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
lrui
Enthusiast
lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re-convert the book
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Foothills

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrui View Post
Re-convert the book
I've done this, many times. No joy ... I can set the percentage to whatever value I want and after conversion I'll have the expected result in the calibre e-reader, but when sync'ed over to the iPad the problem persists. I've tried both 'iPad' and 'iPad3' as my targets in the conversion thinking that maybe having 'iPad3' set was throwing things off on my iPad 2 due to the higher resolution on the Retina displays but the results are always the same.

For the record because of on-going problems with the iTunes sync function I start each conversion from scratch. I delete the book from my calibre library, iTunes, and the iPad, add the book's source .odt back into calibre, convert it, save it to disk, and then sync it over to the iPad to ensure that I'm really really really looking at the latest version. It's the only way that I've found to ensure that the latest version is copied over.
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
lrui
Enthusiast

Could you upload your book,l"ll a try