Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
MemorableCactus
MemorableCactus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touch
Post Help with my K4NT

I've looked through the de-bricking guides and so far I haven't found anything that seems to be applicable to my specific situation, or at least nothing in terms that I can understand enough to implement them. That being said, here is my issue:

I was attempting to install custom screensavers on my kindle, and I did that successfully. The problem arose when I couldn't seem to get my K4NT to leave diagnostic mode, and I accidentally clicked the Fastboot install option. So now I have a K4NT that is stuck on the diags screen, and is not being read by computers. I primarily use Ubuntu 12.01, so instructions that apply to Linux would be the most useful, but I also have sporadic access to Windows and Mac machines, so those are options too.
MemorableCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You need to use the fastboot tool to change the bootmode to main (fastboot setvar bootmode main), or use MfgTool (from Select Boot thread) to temporarily boot to diags, and then save a new bootmode using a RUNME.sh script or an SSH prompt (idme -d --bootmode main). This has been discussed in many posts.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
MemorableCactus

I've tried MfgTool to set boot mode, MfgTool can't find the kindle, just as it doesn't appear on the list of devices connected to the computer. So clearly there's got to be something I'm missing. I've read the OP's of the Select Boot and Simple debricking threads multiple times and I've also read several of the posts in both of those threads, as well as the Noob's guide to debricking. That's why I made a new post, I just can't get get MfgTool to even recognize the kindle so I can proceed with saving a new bootmode, and fastboot doesn't even run even though I've downloaded (what I think) are the correct libusb drivers.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Hmm...
"Downloaded the correct libusb drivers..."
Sounds to me like you are using Windows-Something.
Is it 32bit or 64bit Windows-Something?

A few more technical details of what you have tried, and of the systems you have tried it on would help here.
Then go step by step through the Noob's guide, tell us the first step that does not match the results that you get.

Translation: A better question leads to a better answer.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MfgTool does not need libusb. It uses the windows auto-installed win32 USB/HID drivers.

The win32 version of fastboot needs libusb-win32 though... But now that the bootmode is saved as fastboot (from diags "install fastboot bundle"), you can use any fastboot (win32, linux, osx).

What you CANNOT use (for MfgTool or fastboot) is win64 (which needs SIGNED device drivers), but you can use a 32-bit VM that runs in win64.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
MemorableCactus

Thanks for the quick replies, the machines I have access to right now are my main laptop, which runs 32bit Ubuntu and another that runs 32bit Windows XP, so I think maybe I've been getting my wires crossed as to what works on which system? I'll try getting things working with fastboot on my Linux box and report back.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
MemorableCactus

I finally ended up getting MfgTool to recognize the kindle so I could switch the bootmode back to main! The problem ended up being a bit of serious user error on my part, as when reading the instructions for the Power Button/D-pad restart I misinterpreted it as telling me to press the d pad down, instead of press DOWN on the d pad. Thanks a bunch for putting up with my stupidity!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorableCactus View Post
I finally ended up getting MfgTool to recognize the kindle so I could switch the bootmode back to main! The problem ended up being a bit of serious user error on my part, as when reading the instructions for the Power Button/D-pad restart I misinterpreted it as telling me to press the d pad down, instead of press DOWN on the d pad. Thanks a bunch for putting up with my stupidity!
MfgTool only changes the bootmode for ONE boot. Next time you reboot it will go to the SAVED bootmode (fastboot). You need to change and save the bootmode either from fastboot or from diags. Until you do that, you will need to do a "tethered reboot" using MfgTool, to avoid always booting to fastboot mode (and appearing to be bricked because fastboot does not write to the eink display).