Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
In Design CS5.5 to EPub question

I have InDesign files (30 pages) of formatted text with images on a few pages. I'm able to export these into an epub format and read on all readers. But I notice that the client who created the files took an .eps file which is actually an image of a header and footer. This .eps file resides in the same folder with the linked images. But the eps does not export to ePub. Now that eps file is in a layer inside the doc where if I tick the eye the image disappears. I asked about this in the ID forum and I was told that if the layer is in the master it WILL NOT export to epub can someone tell me how I can get this image which is supposed to be on everyone of the 30 pages to export over to epub?

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiedee View Post
I asked about this in the ID forum and I was told that if the layer is in the master it WILL NOT export to epub can someone tell me how I can get this image which is supposed to be on everyone of the 30 pages to export over to epub?
Is the image on a master page (as opposed to pasted on each page)? If so it sounds like they're saying you need to cut it from the master page and paste in place on each page where it should appear.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
On the other hand, in an epub you don't really control how much text will fit on a page. If I recall correctly, headers and footers aren't supported in most (any?) readers - except perhaps fixed-page-layout, of which I know almost nothing.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
Unlike PDFs, epubs are flowable. Since there are no page in an epub, headers and footers don't make sense so InDesign leaves them out. If you put them in using some manual method in the places where the pages are now in InDesign, they will be in random places in the epub book that will change depending on the size font the user chooses or the size screen their device has.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg View Post
Unlike PDFs, epubs are flowable. Since there are no page in an epub, headers and footers don't make sense...
One possible "solution" is to cut the Header+Footer EPS into two separate graphics, one as the header and one as the footer, and then rasterize both as separate JPEG, GIF, or PNG images. You can then place one at the start of each "chapter" and one at the end.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are certainly headers and footers defined in the ePub specification. I do not know how much support there is among readers. You can define a header and even change its contents. The reader has to recognize the header and then add it at the top of each screen. Similarly for the footer. This is talked about in our wiki and at the idpf site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As most readers use ADE, I would think support for headers/footers would be very poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote