Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I've had this issue on multiple computers. And yes, there are differences in the cables. Try using a Kindle one to connect an external drive to a computer and you'll see it won't work because there's not enough power going through the cable even though they look the same and fit.
That's actually exactly what I am doing. As I write this, I have a Western Digital "Passport" external USB disk connected to my PC using my Kindle Touch's microUSB cable. It's working absolutely perfectly, and has been for the last 3 months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #32
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
It seems that the design of the connection on the Fire is such that it larger than need be for the OEM charger. I have found that other cables in my collection have a better (tight) fit. Why on earth so many people are "wiggling" the cable connection? STOP doing this -- you risk making it worse!

I suspect people are moving the micro USB connection from side to side when removing it, rather than carefully pulling it straight out.

There is a better alternative. Purchase a better cable at Amazon for $3 and a 2.1a USB AC Travel (folding prongs) charger for $9.99.
Skydog, could you provide links for those items? I spent $17 at Amazon for an adapter with a longer cord (6 feet - the short length of the provided adapter irks me) and it did not work... as in, it would not charge the KF...no orange light, had to return it.
Thanks.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's actually exactly what I am doing. As I write this, I have a Western Digital "Passport" external USB disk connected to my PC using my Kindle Touch's microUSB cable. It's working absolutely perfectly, and has been for the last 3 months.
Really? Because I have tried numerous ones on my passport and it wouldn't budge until I used the original.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #34
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Really? Because I have tried numerous ones on my passport and it wouldn't budge until I used the original.
It may depend in part on the age of the hard drive and the computer it is attached to. I had an early USB powered 60GB drive that came with a cable that drew power from two USB ports to power the drive as some older PC's couldn't push enough power through a single port to power the drive.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
It may depend in part on the age of the hard drive and the computer it is attached to. I had an early USB powered 60GB drive that came with a cable that drew power from two USB ports to power the drive as some older PC's couldn't push enough power through a single port to power the drive.
Another thing to consider is that on many PCs, some USB ports come directly off the USB controller, while others go through an internal hub. The ones off the hub are generally able to supply less power. Try all the different ports on the PC and see if you can find one which can supply enough power.
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Skydog, could you provide links for those items? I spent $17 at Amazon for an adapter with a longer cord (6 feet - the short length of the provided adapter irks me) and it did not work... as in, it would not charge the KF...no orange light, had to return it.
Thanks.
If one already has an e-ink Kindle there is no need to buy the cable below.

The adapter is small (fits in the palm of the hand) and the prongs fold for travel:

AmazonBasics 2.1amp Wall Charger

I have made three unsuccessful corrections to the link below -- I don't know what the problem is. If still broken, search in Amazon Electronics for " AmazonBasics USB Cable - 2.0 A Male to Micro B (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters)" Price is $6.76.

6' USB to Micro USB Cable

Last edited by Skydog; 04-06-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: A second link correction
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Looking at your device list, you should have at least two more microUSB cables lying around - those of your K3 and K4. Why not try one of those other cables and see if it works better for you?
The Kindle fire charger may be MicroUSB but Amazon has said you are not to charge the Fire with the Kindle Cable. The charger that comes with the Kindle Fire is different then just a wall plug USB charger.

One of the questions Kindle support asked me when I was troubleshooting my old Fire was are you using the correct charger and not your Kindle usb cord as it doesn't draw enough power to properly charge the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #38
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Kindle fire charger may be MicroUSB but Amazon has said you are not to charge the Fire with the Kindle Cable. The charger that comes with the Kindle Fire is different then just a wall plug USB charger.

One of the questions Kindle support asked me when I was troubleshooting my old Fire was are you using the correct charger and not your Kindle usb cord as it doesn't draw enough power to properly charge the Fire.
HarryT is refering to the CABLE ONLY -- NOT the actual charger.

The (e-ink) Kindle charger is rated at 1 amp and is usable only for devices that draw 1 amp or less -- i.e., Kindle (e-ink), cell phone, etc. The CABLE can connect to a USB wall charger as I listed above.

Trying to charge the Fire with the (e-ink) Kindle charger results in a very, very long charging time and possible inaccurate reading of battery capacity. It does not damage the Fire but is not recommended.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes - sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay I'm confused. The Kindle Fire charger is one piece you can't use another cable with it. It's old school like older chargers use to be made the plug does not separate from the cable. My problem is when I go to charge the Fire it barely plugs in but it stills is charging even though it's getting loser as time goes by.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
Athens80
Connoisseur
Athens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Okay I'm confused. The Kindle Fire charger is one piece you can't use another cable with it. It's old school like older chargers use to be made the plug does not separate from the cable. My problem is when I go to charge the Fire it barely plugs in but it stills is charging even though it's getting loser as time goes by.
The Kindle Fire charger delivers 1.8 amps; that's higher than the USB port specification. It's not the cable that is different, it is the power being sent that is different.

It's the same with the Apple iOS devices. The charger cable is identical, but the "transformer" that comes with the iPhone delivers less power than the "transformer" that comes with the iPad. Plug the cable into an iPhone adapter and you won't draw enough power to recharge the iPad overnight; plug the same cable into the iPad adapter and you will.
Athens80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
The Kindle Fire charger delivers 1.8 amps; that's higher than the USB port specification. It's not the cable that is different, it is the power being sent that is different.

It's the same with the Apple iOS devices. The charger cable is identical, but the "transformer" that comes with the iPhone delivers less power than the "transformer" that comes with the iPad. Plug the cable into an iPhone adapter and you won't draw enough power to recharge the iPad overnight; plug the same cable into the iPad adapter and you will.

I get that but I meant the cable is one piece. Unlike a Kindle charger which is two pieces the cable and wall plug and they can be pulled apart, the Kindle Fire charger is just a cord with a big transformer that plugs into the wall. It's permanently attached at the end unlike other MicroUSB chargers in where you have two pieces, the cord and wall plug. So I was confused by the try another cable comment. I think Harry might have thought I was talking about the USB cable that plugs into the PC to transfer files to the Fire and I first thought he meant to use it to charge the Fire with.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah, my apologies, Blossom; I didn't know that and of course it makes my suggestion meaningless.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #44
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Hmm. I hate the short cord and cheap feel of the Fire charger, and never use it. I keep my long K2 cord attached to my LG wall plug, and use it to charge my Fire, my phone, and whatever else microusb thing I have in my hands. Works fast and well. This is the first I've heard of it being "not recommended" but I'll take my chances.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #45
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
I get that but I meant the cable is one piece. Unlike a Kindle charger which is two pieces the cable and wall plug and they can be pulled apart, the Kindle Fire charger is just a cord with a big transformer that plugs into the wall. It's permanently attached at the end unlike other MicroUSB chargers in where you have two pieces, the cord and wall plug. So I was confused by the try another cable comment. I think Harry might have thought I was talking about the USB cable that plugs into the PC to transfer files to the Fire and I first thought he meant to use it to charge the Fire with.
HarryT was correct and he was talking about the USB cable. I think your confusion comes from perhaps not reading the entire thread, particularly my post with links. I/we were discussing an alternative to the OEM charger. One of the links I provided is for a compact, 2.1a USB charger (without cable). With this charger one can use a USB-to-micro-USB cable of their choice such as the longer cable that is used with the e-ink Kindles or any other. Charger and cable are two different items. Please read my post earlier in the thread and click on the first link to the charger.