Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
What would you like in the next Firmware Release?

Now that people have had the reader for a few days what's at the top of your list for additional features for the next release? Personally I'm really happy with it but would like to see the following:

1) Landscape orientation available in Mobipocket reader. It would let me alternate between using my left and right thumbs for page turns.

2) Faster boot time. I'm getting 27 seconds not the claimed 20 seconds. I'd also like the option of powering on to where I was reading rather then the library.

3) Delete button working to remove books after I've read them.

I've also seen suggestions of allowing the volume buttons "+" and "-" to be programed for other functions. Page turn or zoom in zoom out.

Any others?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
iamcanadian
iamcanadian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Folders. This is absolutely necessary for anyone with even a modest collection of ebooks.

Everything else I can live with as it is
iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't have one yet but my plan is to buy one unless something totally turns my head before NAEB gets ahold of them. I would like support for the DRMed PDFs I get from Overdrive.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Now that people have had the reader for a few days what's at the top of your list for additional features for the next release? Personally I'm really happy with it but would like to see the following:

1) Landscape orientation available in Mobipocket reader. It would let me alternate between using my left and right thumbs for page turns.

2) Faster boot time. I'm getting 27 seconds not the claimed 20 seconds. I'd also like the option of powering on to where I was reading rather then the library.

3) Delete button working to remove books after I've read them.

I've also seen suggestions of allowing the volume buttons "+" and "-" to be programed for other functions. Page turn or zoom in zoom out.

Any others?
i also have the sony 505 and like the features on it.
- the ability to search in the library by title, author, date etc.
- the + and - to turn pages would be a nice option.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #5
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
1) Folders !

2) Support for the Word and RTF files, if possible.

3) To be able to boot directly where you stopped reading, instead of having to go through the library each time.

4) The "Delete" button working.

Any of those would be nice, but especially folders...

Edit: I second julia on the ability to sort the books by author or date. And the + and - buttons on the left could be used when reading, to zoom in and out or to turn pages.

What would also be useful: a synchronization software for Linux users ! I keep hoping for Mobipocket to develop one, but so far, no luck.

Last edited by IreneDelse; 11-08-2007 at 02:50 AM.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post

1) Folders !

3) To be able to boot directly where you stopped reading, instead of having to go through the library each time.

Any of those would be nice, but especially folders...
That is about my list. Only I like to arrange them like this

1) To be able to boot directly where you stopped reading, instead of having to go through the library each time.

3) Folders !

Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #7
cftall
"Crackers"
cftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheese

Device: cybook 3 tung-e-2 ebookwise 1150
Smile

Support for folders. Sort by authors name and landscape mode for mobi is what I need. Love this reader hate the ear buds.
C.F.Tall
cftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
I'll echo everyone else 'FOLDERS' & 'DELETE' ... oh and the USER GUIDE would be nice

Other than that .. love it
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
BuSab
BuSab began at the beginning.

Device: cybook / psion revo / zaurus / clié nr70v / nx70v
I would add
- a way to lock keys (a long press on two buttons for example)
- when pressing the music key, back should go to the book i was reading, not the library
BuSab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I would actually prefer the ability to synchronize the reading lists and use that to categorize my ebooks. The thing I don't like about folders is the books can only be in one folder and I'd like them in multiple categories. I am concerned about the performance though if all the books are in one directory. It would also require the ability to create or edit the reading list categories outside of Mobipocket Desktop Reader for people that don't have Windoze.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
I'd also like to be able to zoom in and out PDF documents.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The thing I don't like about folders is the books can only be in one folder and I'd like them in multiple categories.
There is Linux under the hood, so the same file can in principle be in multiple folders (using a hard or a soft link, a single physical copy of the file can be listed in multiple directories). These would most likely look and behave like multiple copies of the file to the reader software (e.g. any metadata would be directory specific), but it is multiple copies without using any extra filesystem space.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I am concerned about the performance though if all the books are in one directory.
Yep, be afraid. Be very afraid. I dumped 3500+ PalmDoc & Mobipocket books on a 2GB SD card, and booting (more especially the building of the library) took almost 20 minutes. It did complete, though, giving me 360 pages of 10 books to a page.

But trying to page through them made it start re-indexing again :-(.

Not recommended with the current firmware.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
CChris
CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Simpad, HTC P4350, Cybook Gen3
1. Folders

2. Landscape-Mode for everything

3. A cross, T-Shaped Menue or three colums instead of one; it could look like this:

eBook
Back Lookup Forward
Layout Leave Menue Font Family
Advanced Bookmarks Font Size
Library

When entering the Menue, the cursor could be placed in the midle, therefore reducing the number of keypresses to reach every item in the menue...
Note: The Leave Menue (without change) is not entirely necesary and the function could be implemented by other means: Navigating out of the menue, eighter only Right or Left, or in every direction...

4. Zoom-Function for PDF

Chris
CChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Folders!! (especially after the test with 3500 ebooks :-))

Support for zipped files.

RTF support.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote