Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Amazon Announces 4 New Kindle devices...

Not only were the rumors true about the Kindle tablet release with the name Kindle Fire but 3 new unexpected eInk devices sans keyboard and 2 of them adding touch screens are up for pre-order at amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-W...pf_rd_i=507846

Kindle $79 (kso price)
A 6 inch eInk device with no keyboard or touch screen.

Kindle Touch $99 (kso price)
A 6 inch eInk device with no keyboard and even less buttons than the above model.

Kindle Touch 3G $149 (kso price)
...same as the Kindle Touch but with 3G wireless support in addition to the WiFi.

Kindle Fire $199
Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi. This one has an LCD screen and Amazon enhanced Andriod OS. Look like no 3G on this model.

The previous Kindle 3 models now look to be called the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Keyboard 3G.

The prices listed above are for the "special offer" models. The non-special order models are an extra $30 for the base Kindle and $40 for the Touch models.

The devices will be shipped in November. I hope they made millions of these. A $79 Kindle is going to sell like crazy.

Discuss!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
Only one model available to order in the UK, and that's the basic model, for which they're charging £89. I'd love to know the rationale behind that one. £89 is what you pay, no extra tax, but still, it's much higher than the US price.
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
Only one model available to order in the UK, and that's the basic model, for which they're charging £89. I'd love to know the rationale behind that one. £89 is what you pay, no extra tax, but still, it's much higher than the US price.
This is the model which is selling for $109 in the US. $109, at the current exchange rate, is £69.67. Add 20% VAT and you get £83.60. Calling it "much higher" than the US price is a slight exaggeration - it's only £5.40 more expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm a little a giddy about this. Not only will it be good for ebook sales, which pay my mortgage, but I actually think I might have to buy a Kindle Fire just for fun and convenience. The price makes it hard to pass up.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I was excited when I saw the pricing but since it's the KSO price, it's not all that great for non-US buyers. I also only get the option of the basic Kindle for order. Guess the new Sony is still a contender.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The choices are a bit dizzying! They seem to have worked out a Kindle for every need and at every price point.

And a tablet for $200? That's kind of amazing.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Looks like the Fire actually has Whispernet. Its not clear yet how much browsing over that will be allowed.

On the Amazon homepage http://www.amazon.com/

Quote:
Dear Customer,

There are two types of companies: those that work hard to charge customers more, and those that work hard to charge customers less. Both approaches can work. We are firmly in the second camp.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Looks like the Fire actually has Whispernet. Its not clear yet how much browsing over that will be allowed.

On the Amazon homepage http://www.amazon.com/
It looks to me like the Fire is WiFi only.... so you can probably browse all you want, as long a you BYOI (bring your own internet).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Dang. I'm impressed.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "allowed". It's WiFi only - are you suggesting that Amazon are going to restrict your WiFi usage?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
I'm in for the touch e-ink version (I don't want a tablet, and when I do it will probably be a more all-purpose one). The cheapest model looks good for casual reading of things like novels.

I need to do some research on how well the Kindle handles PDF files (I read a lot of journal articles in PDF format, unfortunately) and how easy it is to interface with Calibre.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
I'm looking at the images of the touch on their website - are those vents at the back or are those speakers?
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I'm pretty set on getting a Kindle Touch 3G and I think I will get the special offer version for the savings. I didn't have screensavers on my PRS-505 and I didn't miss them. I only wish the Kindle Touch were available sooner. With the Sony PRS-T1 supposedly shipping in a matter of days, I was hoping to get my hands on the new Kindle in October...

The Fire is almost tempting, but I'd rather a bigger tablet when I buy one. Maybe ipad next year, maybe a 10 inch Amazon one, if it is released, who knows..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Looks like most are US-only. Only the touch-less versions are shipped outside the US.

I was expecting this for the tablet, but why the other kindles?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Looks like most are US-only. Only the touch-less versions are shipped outside the US.

I was expecting this for the tablet, but why the other kindles?
I'd guess it's simply a matter of the number that they can manufacture. Apple did much the same with the iPad 2. My guess would be that we'll see a European launch of the touch models after Christmas.