Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
that's hilarious. haha. tablet pc, maybe. lenovo makes 'em.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Primary
1. eInk
2. Screen size no less than 6", preferable 8"
3. Battery life more than 10 days.

secondary
4. epub
5. search
6. dictionary

I am afraid I have been spoiled by PRS-650.
Any ebook reader that doesn't have all aforementioned points simply would not do
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
See. Size DOES matter.

Sorry I can't really pick just three. I have to evaluate the device on all it's features as well as - or maybe even more importantly - the content available and any restrictions on it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Weight
Battery life
Screen quality (eInk)

If it weren't for the mediocre design, I would place my Kindle 3 right there, in the Olympus of eReaders. Liseuses as they used to be called by some frondist dissidents. Expecially with its cover which embosses a reading light. Whow
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #20
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
1. Color screen, its quality
1. Operable with one hand (I often read while standing in the bus)
1. Price
2. SD-card (or at least 10-40 GB memory)
3. Battery life, format(s) etc
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
1. Lightweight.
2. High Contrast.
3. Long Battery Life.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
1) Size: small screen/light weight
2) Long battery life: 20+ hours reading time; I'm not dealing with need to recharge during a long weekend.
3) Multiple filetypes.

Without those, I'm not interested. After those, I start considering
Features (nav system, metadata handling)
Speed (page turns, 'cos e-ink is the only kind with the battery life I want)
Storage capacity

Irrelevant:
Internet of any sort
DRM support
International access
Text-to-speech
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #23
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
- light weight
- dictionary
- long battery life
- built-in light (sorry, I know that was no. 4 )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #24
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
1. long battery life
2. no need to attach to computer (but at the same time, being able to if I want)
3. features (e-ink, wifi, physical pageturn buttons...)
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Is that list our options? I don't really care about any of that.

If I can go off-list:
1. appearance
2. ePub
3. e-ink or similar technology

That's all I have.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Light-weight
e-ink
good battery
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
If the reader is good, price isnt really a factor. Ok, too a point, but not the main reason I would purchase it.

For me, it was the availability of being able to get books from our local library. Our budget is tight and most (97%) of the books I have on my Nook were either free or are from our digital library.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #28
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
1. size big screen
2. multiple formats can be read
3. speed
4. low price

I most want an e-ink device with a screen that is >= 8 1/2" x 11"
It needs to display PDF files and turn pages reasonably quickly.
A low price would be nice.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #29
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
OK, I've got a slightly different list from those who have posted so far:

1. International accessibility (which includes international hackability)
2. low price (let's say "reasonable price")
3. NO wireless function (wifi or 3G) (related to number 1, and to my own tendency to "forget" to recharge my various electrical devices)

As I've said before on MR, I hardly need the instant gratification of being able to buy books out in the wild, and actually I prefer using Calibre to organize my library so hooking up to my PC is no big deal.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #30
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
For me, it would be, in order of priority,

1) multiple formats can be read - For me, books are like Pokemon; if they are available, I want to read it. All the better if they can all be read on just one device.

2) can download books in a local library. That's the main reason why I bought my ipad in the first place; because it could access ebooks from the library. Saved me a lot of money too, since non-fiction tend to be more expensive than fiction. And I love the non-fiction section in libraries!

3) Features - I like devices that have multiple features. Like games and Internet, when I want to take a break from reading, as well as personal planners and calendars.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote