Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Wicked by Gregory Maguire 8 10.53%
A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness 2 2.63%
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss 17 22.37%
Storm Front: Book one of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher 11 14.47%
A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin 16 21.05%
The Fairy Godmother (book 1 in Five Hundred Kingdoms series) by Mercedes Lackey 2 2.63%
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu 2 2.63%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 10 13.16%
The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison 6 7.89%
The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Book 1 by Michael Scott 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I voted for Stardust. I've read GRRM. Loved the first three books. Book 4, a feast for crows was horrible!
I'm a third of the way through Feast, and yes, it is. It already smells as if nothing much is going to happen plot-wise (although I'm sure he'll pull a shocker or two out) and where the heck are...?

Feast feels like a partial book, as if it had been put into print just to get something out there. Since I'm on a roll and just in time for book five I'll stick with it through that one, but I can't imagine I'll still be interested once book 6 comes out. If it ever does.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm up to a Feast for Crows and since I was first on the hold list at Overdrive, I decided to get started on the B&N sample. I was a little disconcerted to discover that what seemed to be an ample 114 pages in the sample translated to page 44 in the "real" ebook. And since a lot of that 114 pages is taken up with contents, blurbs and so forth, the reading sample itself was only a chapter plus a bit of the second. Just as an FYI.
Since I hadn't read it in awhile, I just checked the sample for Game of Thrones and it is 88 e-book pages and includes the prologue, the first three chapters and a good bit of the fourth, which seems large to me for a sample.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Feast feels like a partial book...
Because it is. It's half of the planned narrative while A Dance With Dragons is the other. Martin elected to split the books by character & location instead of chronologically.

The split was done because the books manuscript was already larger than A Storm of Sword which had caused the publisher problems with it's size (I think it was actually printed in two volumes some places) and I think it was also split so he could get something out since it had been five years.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/done.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Name of the Wind, only because I had read AGoT 3 times and I'm selfish .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Because it is. It's half of the planned narrative while A Dance With Dragons is the other. Martin elected to split the books by character & location instead of chronologically.

The split was done because the books manuscript was already larger than A Storm of Sword which had caused the publisher problems with it's size (I think it was actually printed in two volumes some places) and I think it was also split so he could get something out since it had been five years.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/done.html
That explains it, then. I don't think it was a good call, however (except for the bit about getting something out there). I already have issues with how these books are structured. But that's me; I feel curmudgeonly about them but I admit they keep me turning the pages. For all their length, the books are an easy read and go quickly.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Okay! I made a decision. My pick wasn't even on my radar before yesterday, but after seeing the amount of interest and reading the synopsis I chose The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss. I also treated myself to Storm Front, which I intended to read, anyway.

The fact, however, that previous votes did in fact influence my decision, reminds me to renew the "blind vote" suggestion that was brought forth last month.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The fact, however, that previous votes did in fact influence my decision, reminds me to renew the "blind vote" suggestion that was brought forth last month.
I have no problem with a blind vote... but the software doesn't currently support it.

I'll ask Alex if it is a feature he can add. However, I know he has a long list of stuff he wants to do that he has been working on.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-28-2011 at 05:26 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #23
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have no probably with a blind vote... but the software doesn't currently support it.

I'll ask Alex if it is a feature he can add. However, I know he has a long list of stuff he wants to do that he has been working on.

BOb
Ah. Okay.

You know, I think you may have mentioned that last month. Thanks for being so open PB, it is much appreciated!!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I read Kingkiller day 1 already, so I'll read Game of thrones...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have no problem with a blind vote... but the software doesn't currently support it.

BOb
We can do a blind vote for next month even if the software doesn't do it. We can just send you our vote and you tally and tell us the winner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Who is voting for Kingkiller or Thrones because it looks like the rest have no chance of winning?

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-30-2011 at 04:11 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We can do a blind vote for next month even if the software doesn't do it. We can just send you our vote and you tally and tell us the winner.
You're assuming Jon that PB has the time, patience, and willingness to do that. I can understand his not wanting to manually count votes.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #28
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I have a blind vote everytime. I read the summaries and vote without peeking at results or reading the discussion first.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I had to pick my own book. :P

For those who have not picked it up already, here's a coupon for Smashwords. Feel free to use it whether or not you vote for Voyage of the Minotaur. Follow the link and use coupon code AN87Q to get it for 99 cents.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11536
Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have been lurking around the forums but never joined your book-club discussions... But I am hoping to change that this month.

I just looked at the forums and I am more intrigued by your choice of books over the last two months - I like 'some' fantasy (big LOTR fan... enjoyed the HPs...) but I have also read a lot of disappointing fantasy. I am curious to see how this turns out.

I voted for Stardust. The description intrigued me...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote