Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
pavlli
pavlli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Adobe Acrobat X Pro

Hi,
in work i have now access to full version of Adobe Acrobat. But i never work with it. So is there some ways to use Pro version to make better conversion of technical books in PDF for Kindle 3? Or it's better to stay with free programs such as Calibre, etc..
Thank you for you advices.
pavlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Jonnster
Jonnster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I also have access to this app at work and in my (limited) experience so far I have been shocked at how poor it is compared to the free options. I have tried converting to various formats from Acrobat X Pro and then converting to mobi. e.g. save as HTML and then use calibre or mobipocket creator to convert to .mobi. However, the HTML that APX produces in often more poorly formatted than using a free converter. I expected a lot more.
Jonnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
PDF is not a source format, it's a destination.

If you want better quality conversions of these files to anything other than .eps or other graphic formats for direct re-use as is, get the original source.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Jonnster
Jonnster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
PDF is not a source format, it's a destination.

If you want better quality conversions of these files to anything other than .eps or other graphic formats for direct re-use as is, get the original source.
I totally agree with this but I still find it strange that some free apps and much cheaper apps such as NitroPDF do a better job of conversion than Adobe can. None of the free/cheap options are perfect (far from it) but they are a lot closer to Adobe's affort. You'd think if anyone could reverse engineer a PDF it would be the creators of the format. Considering Acrobat X Pro has so many options to export to so many formats they obviously believe it is possible. Yet the output from any of the options is rather poor. That would be acceptable if it wasn't for the fact the cheaper options do a better job.
Jonnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Here's an idea: try exporting as a tagged PDF next time. The conversion should be much better. Well, except if it's encrypted or it has a password, obviously.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert