Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
blanket
blanket began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
calibre freezing

Let me preface this by saying that I wish I could have come up with a more specific title for this post, but I'm almost literally unable to do anything in Calibre.

I'm unable to do the following without my Calibre freezing: run welcome wizard, click on any button within the preferences, edit metadata or convert any files.

I've installed all Windows updates, done a system restore to remove them, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple versions of Calibre trying to fix it, but I'm just a novice and a lot of the suggestions on this board are honestly going over my head.

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit and trying, at the very least, to convert files to .mobi.

Thanks in advance.
blanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you using a wacom mouse? If so, try another mouse, there is an incompatibility with wacom mice and the graphics toolkit calibre uses.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanket View Post
I'm unable to do the following without my Calibre freezing: run welcome wizard, click on any button within the preferences, edit metadata or convert any files.

Thanks in advance.
The same is happening to me as well. I converted some books yesterday with no problem, today - convert will not run.
Like blanket, I noticed that Windows did some updates to my computer also. I am running Win 7, 32 bit.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you using a wacom mouse? If so, try another mouse, there is an incompatibility with wacom mice and the graphics toolkit calibre uses.
Not to sound stupid but is that a brand? wacom or are you referring to a wireless mouse?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wacom is a brand.
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@chilady1: you may have tried this already but in windows when weird things start happening the first thing I do is reboot my computer.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
blanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, I'm using the trackpad on a Sony Vaio, but I did try a wireless mouse as well, to see if that would fix the issue, but it hasn't.

I wanted to mention as well that I disabled the antivirus, as that seemed to resolve the same issue with previous posters, but that didn't work for me either.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try running from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

and see if anything useful is printed out.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
blanket

Doesn't look like much to me, maybe you can make sense of it.

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Sara>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Started up in 0.978000164032
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._GlobalMonospace.CompositeFont
'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%GlobalMonospace.CompositeFont'

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/GlobalMonospace.Co
mpositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalMonospace.CompositeFont/.
.namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalMonospace.CompositeFont/r
src'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/GlobalMonospace.Co
mpositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/GlobalMonospace.Compo
siteFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont
'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont'

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/GlobalSansSerif.Co
mpositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont/.
.namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont/r
src'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/GlobalSansSerif.Co
mpositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/GlobalSansSerif.Compo
siteFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._GlobalSerif.CompositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%GlobalSerif.CompositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/GlobalSerif.Compos
iteFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalSerif.CompositeFont/..nam
edfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalSerif.CompositeFont/rsrc'

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/GlobalSerif.Compos
iteFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/GlobalSerif.Composite
Font'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._GlobalUserInterface.Composite
Font'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%GlobalUserInterface.CompositeF
ont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/GlobalUserInterfac
e.CompositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFo
nt/..namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFo
nt/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/GlobalUserInterfac
e.CompositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/GlobalUserInterface.C
ompositeFont'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._StaticCache.dat'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%StaticCache.dat'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/StaticCache.dat'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/StaticCache.dat/..namedfork/rsr
c'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/StaticCache.dat/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/StaticCache.dat'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/StaticCache.dat'
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (171)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (177)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (174)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (174)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (191)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (206)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (177)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (188)
FT_Stream_EnterFrame: invalid read; expected 148 bytes, got 65
FT_Stream_ReadAt: invalid read; expected 128 bytes, got 65
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._desktop.ini'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%desktop.ini'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/desktop.ini'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/desktop.ini/..namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/desktop.ini/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/desktop.ini'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/desktop.ini'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._fms_metadata.xml'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%fms_metadata.xml'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/fms_metadata.xml'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/fms_metadata.xml/..namedfork/rs
rc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/fms_metadata.xml/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/fms_metadata.xml'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/fms_metadata.xml'
Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!

@Kovid - thanks. The reboot did the trick. Everything working properly, thank you for the quick response.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@blanket: You have a bunch of invalid files in your windows\fonts\ folder that are causing the problem. Clean them out and you should be fine. The filenames are all present in that debug output. Unfortunately it's been a long time since I used windows, so I dont remember the best way for cleaning out your font folder, but maybe someone else will be able to help you do that.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
This totally off topic but we just had someone named blanket reporting calibre is freezing and someone named chilady1 also posting. (Running and ducking!)
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
This totally off topic but we just had someone named blanket reporting calibre is freezing and someone named chilady1 also posting. (Running and ducking!)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Lady F - that is hilarious and I didn't even catch that. Only a warped mind (just kidding) would pick that up. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Lady F - that is hilarious and I didn't even catch that. Only a warped mind (just kidding) would pick that up. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
Hey, I'll be the first to admit I'm warped, bent, whatever.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote