Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Writer2ePub bug reports

Hi,

this thread is for your reports about problems with W2E.
If you encounter some files that cause problems to the extension, please send me a copy of this file to:
writer2epub[at]gmail.com

Thanks for your help!

Luke

Last edited by eBookLuke; 06-17-2011 at 11:14 PM.
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Smile

Oh, congratulations Luke, your software is now part of the establishment. It's well deserved.

To just follow on a proposal.

W2E uses three places of real estate on the front panel. Some people can resent it and find it a little confusing. I think one would be enough.

What for a solution like the one on the photo (the image is optional), I mean
- Only one button which opens a "W2E Preferences panel".
- On the front panel, a "proceed" button to press just to create the epub
- Some tabs, metadata, structure, splitting, whatever suits your needs to provide the user with some choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tabs.png
Views:	1533
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	63062  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
If the extension is meant to be used for fun, then one icon is enough. But for day to day epub generation three icons are a-must.
Another thought - would it be possible to fill metadata automatically from file properties - book title, author and description can be present already in file properties, so to fill them one more time by hand is not welcomed.
And continuing our discussion from previous thread - I think you shall let users to decide otf or ttf fonts will be embedded into epub.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
If the extension is meant to be used for fun, then one icon is enough. But for day to day epub generation three icons are a-must.
Another thought - would it be possible to fill metadata automatically from file properties - book title, author and description can be present already in file properties, so to fill them one more time by hand is not welcomed.
And continuing our discussion from previous thread - I think you shall let users to decide otf or ttf fonts will be embedded into epub.
Ehmmm… the metadata are just filled by original doc meta, if present… If doesn't happens, there is some bug that prevents it.
Please send me some example of "metadata filled" docs (.odt, .doc, .rtf and so on) to check the functionality. Please send the doc to writer2epub[at]gmail.com

About the fonts: I will allow W2E to embed all supported fonts type. If the ePub standard supports .otf and .ttf, W2E will embed these format. Anyway I have to check what the standard states.

About the icon.
I'm a lazybones… I create W2E to not fatigue… My lazyness says that three icons is the easyeest way to do the job. If someone lazyest than me can found a more easy way, he is welcome!

Luke
Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I guess that the only real "must" is the boss's will.

So be it.
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Well, I guess that the only real "must" is the boss's will.

So be it.
If you strongly want the "one button" interface, I will create a special version only for you!*

Luke

*as soon as I have some time available…
Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
roger64
Wizard

Oh, please don't. I don't want to waste your Christmas.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

1. Author's name, book title and description are not parsing into epub metadata.
2. Why before producing epub file it always ask me to save file first? - I'm preparing doc file in word and openining in OO only to make an epub and this reminder is somehow annoying.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
1. Author's name, book title and description are not parsing into epub metadata.
As soon as possible, W2E will extract the metadata from original files, if are present. At the moment, the metadata are get out from the file name (look in the preference window)
The problems I encountered by extract the file's metadata are:
1) there is no a real "author" field. This info is shared with the "creator" that is the owner of the Word/OOo application and the last modifier.
2) Some field in .doc files are "general purpose", and doesn't meet the mandatory fields of the ePub files (author, title, language, ID)
So, any suggestion about how to extract the data from .doc files is welcome!
Quote:
2. Why before producing epub file it always ask me to save file first? - I'm preparing doc file in word and openining in OO only to make an epub and this reminder is somehow annoying.
Not always but sometimes.
I don't understand why sometimes, when I start a conversion, OOo believes that the files was modified. This can happens with .odt files and .doc files, with unpredictable frequency.If you have a file that EVERY TIME shows the dialog, please send it to me at writer2epub[at]gmail.com , this can help me.
I wish to solve this annoying behaviour, as soon I will understand why and when it happens. Every help is welcome.

A workaround can be to use the "reload" command instead of "save". This preserve the integrity of the original file in case of unwanted modifications.

Thanks

Luke
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Writer2ePub for Dummies?

I use OpenOffice.org regularly, but haven't got round to using in built styles.

I am also familiar with HTML and CSS, and ePubcheck, and have prepared several ePub ebooks and uploaded them to the forum library from e.g. Project Gutenberg html files.

I'd like to try out Writer2ePub, with the option of perhaps extending the stylesheet, but don't know where to start.

Is there a 'Writer2ePub for Dummies' how-to available anywhere? I've looked at DaleDe's wiki, but I need a little more than that.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Is there a 'Writer2ePub for Dummies' how-to available anywhere?
Yes, here --->

Once installed and restsrted OOo, you will find this toolbar:

Just press the first icon on the left.
The second is for metadata insert
The last for some preferences.

Merry christmas!

Luke
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #12
stasys
Zealot

Quote:
1) there is no a real "author" field. This info is shared with the "creator" that is the owner of the Word/OOo application and the last modifier.
In meta.xml of odt file the line
meta:initial-creator>....</meta:initial-creator>
describes who is the book author.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
In meta.xml of odt file the line
meta:initial-creator>....</meta:initial-creator>
describes who is the book author.
Yes, but this is the creator of the file, not the book's author.
I mean, if I create in .doc/.odt an ebook of Alice in Wonderland, by L.Carroll, I can put the title in the title field, but the author's filed will be filled with my name (or with the name I specify in the "owner's data" in Word/Writer preferences), and not with the name of L.Carroll…

Moreover, there is no simple way to change the creator.
If I want to create Alice's book, I need to:
1) replace my name in Word/Writer preferences with L.Carroll.
2) Create the file
3) write or paste the whole text
4) save the file
5) write back my name in the preferences.

This because the word processors are file-oriented, and not book-oriented…

Usually, people uses another editable field for author's name, but there is not a real standard.

Suggestions?

Luke

Last edited by eBookLuke; 12-24-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
stasys
Zealot

I'm using the part of Stingo macro to modify Author field in doc file (with Word 2003) - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23
So if one uses this macro, Author field contains "L.Carrol" or whatever you put there. Similar macro exists for OO as well. If I were you (and knew how to do good programming) I'd take what is meta:initial-creator>....</meta:initial-creator> and leave for people to modify this field in their files with additional macros.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
kiermel
Enthusiast
kiermel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
That's a cheat sheets I have for the OPF file into the ePub .

Code:
<dc:title>Test Book</dc:title>

Add creator and author:

<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Jane Austen</dc:creator>

<dc:title>The Three Sisters</dc:title>

<dc:creator opf:file-as="Austen, Jane" opf:role="aut">Jane Austen</dc:creator>
<dc:subject>Science Fiction</dc:subject>
<dc:publisher>Kiermel</dc:publisher>

Change language to English OPF file to run the dictionary iPad.
<dc:language>es</dc:language>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
Document Metadata Extraction
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Do...ata_Extraction

Last edited by kiermel; 12-25-2010 at 10:08 AM.
kiermel is offline   Reply With Quote