Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #166
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Let me explain: the reader program files in the Pocketbook are usually hidden. They're called fbreader.app and adobeviewer.app. What you do when you install FBReader by simply dragging the "system" folder is to OVERWRITE the normal, invisible fbreader.app file with a new, visible fbreader.app file. Thus, when you deleted the visible fbreader.app file, you simply took away the program from the reader.
NO.
This is not how it works.
The origianal, firmware supplied fbreader.app sits somewhere in the /ebrmain folder that you can only see if you use the poterm terminal emulator.
When you install fbreader180 by copying it into E:/system/bin/fbreader.app, the original application stays on the device. The system is just cleverly configured in such a way (BIG thank you, Guys in Kiev (TM)) that the device will use the application it finds in E:/system/bin/ directory rather then the one that sits somewhere on the /ebrmain folder.
When you remove your "installed" fbreader.app the situtation goes back to the original state. Unless you messed with extensions.cfg

The $PATH variable (where the system looks for location of binaries) is set up in such a way, that it first looks into user accessible folder E:/system/bin/ and if it does not find the binary there it looks at the system memory.

So by simply copying fbreader.app to E:/system/bin/ and then removing it you do not touch the original application.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #167
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Stange.
I am using 15.2beta ever since it came out and except that funny "broken card logo" I got when I disconnected it from the PC for the first time it works fine. Not a single reset. I am using fbreader180 all the time. Version 0.9.2 or something like that. I have very complicated extensions.cfg with at least 5 different versions of fbreader (including the original app) so I can compare differences.
I should be trying harder as a betatester to strain the system until the breaking point ;-)
You do really fine. You're the placebo test group!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #168
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I like 15.2. I haven't played with the new bluetooth options yet, but being able to assign the 'back' key is massive plus. I gave up on fbreader180 because I couldn't get pagebreaks and the 'back' key mapping to work. I'm using the hacked AdobeViewer with my own css and I have no complaints. I have had no crashes or anomalous behavior (that can't be contributed to user error )
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #169
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I like 15.2. I haven't played with the new bluetooth options yet, but being able to assign the 'back' key is massive plus. I gave up on fbreader180 because I couldn't get pagebreaks and the 'back' key mapping to work. I'm using the hacked AdobeViewer with my own css and I have no complaints. I have had no crashes or anomalous behavior (that can't be contributed to user error )
Nice avatar! Yes, 15.2 for 302 is pretty stable.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #170
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I am finding the 15.2 beta pretty stable, more stable than 15.1 at least. Had a lot more freezes.

The only issues I have had is one or two freezes and a few reboots. I wasn't even reading at the time. I had the keyboard locked and pressed the power button to unlock the keyboard to read and nothing happened. Actually that might of only happened once (can't remember). The reboot issue I think is the SanDisk card I have. I am reading and I will hit the "next page" button and there is a delay and then the ereader reboots and opens up in "main". Its actually a very fast reboot. And has only happened a few times. I am using a 2GB SanDisk card (never had the double reboot at startup like some have had) though so I am assuming that is what is causing it. And it happened with 15.1 as well. Never noticed it with 14.2 but I didn't have 14.2 on my PB360 for very long.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #171
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
When you install fbreader180 by copying it into E:/system/bin/fbreader.app, the original application stays on the device. The system is just cleverly configured in such a way (BIG thank you, Guys in Kiev (TM)) that the device will use the application it finds in E:/system/bin/ directory rather then the one that sits somewhere on the /ebrmain folder.
In the linux world your path is /mnt/ext1/system/bin/fbreader.app. Linux doesn't do drive letters. But the rest of your statement is pretty accurate. It's all about finding the application and running it. I still wish somebody would compile poterm for the 302. I don't program C++ but might have to dust off a few textbooks.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #172
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
The only issues I have had is one or two freezes and a few reboots. I wasn't even reading at the time. I had the keyboard locked and pressed the power button to unlock the keyboard to read and nothing happened. Actually that might of only happened once (can't remember). The reboot issue I think is the SanDisk card I have. I am reading and I will hit the "next page" button and there is a delay and then the ereader reboots and opens up in "main". Its actually a very fast reboot. And has only happened a few times. I am using a 2GB SanDisk card (never had the double reboot at startup like some have had) though so I am assuming that is what is causing it. And it happened with 15.1 as well. Never noticed it with 14.2 but I didn't have 14.2 on my PB360 for very long.
I'm not using a SanDisk card (I'm using Kingston) and I'm experiencing the exact behaviour you are with being thrown out of my book and returning to the main menu or having it reboot completely by itself.

Also, sometimes when I power my PB360 down while in a book, start up will take me to the main menu, not to my place in the book. Sometimes it doesn't even remember where I was up to. That's only happened a couple of times. I have had a lot of freezes and crashes, though.

So, long story short, I don't think it's your SanDisk card, I think it's a firmware problem.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #173
jessc
Enthusiast
jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Paperwhite
I've only had my PB360 two days and have already had it freeze and reboot once in the middle of a book. It came with 15.1, so one of the first things I did was change it to 14.2. I don't have any card in it, so there's more evidence for it being a card-independent problem.
jessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #174
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
In the linux world your path is /mnt/ext1/system/bin/fbreader.app. Linux doesn't do drive letters. But the rest of your statement is pretty accurate. It's all about finding the application and running it. I still wish somebody would compile poterm for the 302. I don't program C++ but might have to dust off a few textbooks.
I know.
I use Mint Linux as my main desktop at home.
I was writing for the average Mobileread reader and it would be very complicated post if I tried to avoid simplification.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #175
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
@ jessc I've just had mine for a couple of weeks and same problem using nothing but installed 14.2. It's definitely a bug and I'm sending it back. Very frustrating and disappointing, since now I have to interrupt the novel I was in the middle of.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #176
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
New 360 Firmware:
http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...de_ws_15_2.zip

Lets see
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #177
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Is this out of beta now? I've had some freeze problems similar to the ones described here and elsewhere (by mmorissey), with FW 14.2. I haven't tried the 15.x versions yet because even more people report freeze problems there. Now I'm wondering if maybe the 15.2 might actually improve my situation.

(Also, I'm wondering if the freeze problem might be caused by the accelerometer.)
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #178
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Is this out of beta now? I've had some freeze problems similar to the ones described here and elsewhere (by mmorissey), with FW 14.2. I haven't tried the 15.x versions yet because even more people report freeze problems there. Now I'm wondering if maybe the 15.2 might actually improve my situation.

(Also, I'm wondering if the freeze problem might be caused by the accelerometer.)
Good question, the link is from the official pocketbook.de page.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #179
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
I'll just try it out.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #180
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
PB302. FmW 15.2.

May I ask if someone can point out how to configure in-mode reading. I dislike the lack of margins in an epub book. There is no menu option to do this, as described in the 302 manual; I have a zoom option instead.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote