Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
How do I do 'accurate stylus calibration'?

I tried 'stylus calibration' many times but there was always a little gap at the side part of the screen. I also want accurate scribble or note on DR800SG. Is there someone who got a good result? What should I do for it? Please help me!
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The best tip is to make sure you hold the pen during calibration exactly how you hold it during writing, same angles, etc. IE if you hand position changes when you get close to the edges while writing, make sure you do the same thing during calibration. It's not just the spot on the screen that you touch, but also how you are holding the pen when you do it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
manacap
manacap began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Also, the beta version doesn't do scribble very well on the sides of the screen. So, no matter how accurately you hold your pen and touch the spots, you will still have problems with scribble.
manacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
It's the same with DR1000 since the beginning so I'm not sure if they're able to fix it.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
It's the same with DR1000 since the beginning so I'm not sure if they're able to fix it.
It's the same on all my touchscreen units, be it BeBook Neo, iRex 800, iRex iLiad. Maybe the Sony readers are slightly more accurate. But still - way from tablet PCs. I never would use any eInk device for intensive note taking.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It's the same on all my touchscreen units, be it BeBook Neo, iRex 800, iRex iLiad. Maybe the Sony readers are slightly more accurate. But still - way from tablet PCs. I never would use any eInk device for intensive note taking.
Could it have something to do with the type of Wacom digitizer used? It's not the same one as they use in their other tablet products (Cintiq, Intuos, Bamboo, etc). My understanding is that most of the 3rd party products (eInk devices, etc) are using an older generation Wacom technology.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Could it have something to do with the type of Wacom digitizer used? It's not the same one as they use in their other tablet products (Cintiq, Intuos, Bamboo, etc). My understanding is that most of the 3rd party products (eInk devices, etc) are using an older generation Wacom technology.
Yes, I checked with the local Wacom agents (in case I ever lose my pen) and they don't have any penabled pens, only the US website offers them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I've got a very basic explanation:
On eInk devices, you've got serious lag between writing on the screen and actually seeing the result. You can't adjust in time and just see, that again you've drafted 1mm off target.
On tablet PCs, you'd see that 1mm off target in an instance and would adjust accordingly.

That's definitely not the only explanation. But I guess, it does have quite an impact.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I've got a very basic explanation:
On eInk devices, you've got serious lag between writing on the screen and actually seeing the result. You can't adjust in time and just see, that again you've drafted 1mm off target.
On tablet PCs, you'd see that 1mm off target in an instance and would adjust accordingly.

That's definitely not the only explanation. But I guess, it does have quite an impact.
I don't think that is the problem. What I get is distortion at the top and bottom 2cm but it works well in the middle section, and sometimes small strokes I definitely didn't make appear. For example if I write a 1 (a straight line up and down) I often get a tiny additional line bridging off to the side at the bottom. This happens even if I erase and repeat in the very same spot and pay great attention to my strokes.

But those are minor issues for me, they do not really affect note taking, since nobody except me has to read them in their original state, anyway. Others may have higher expectations and I hope firmware updates will improve on this.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
sordie
Enthusiast
sordie began at the beginning.

Device: IREX 800SG
Quote:
I was beginning to think the same, and then I bought the Entourage Edge. The inking on it is superb - truly comparable to a Tablet PC, and absolutely no distortions on the edges, beautifully calibrated to boot. When inking on a PDF, there is a slight lag, but this is clearly an issue with processor speed since the lag isn't there with the note-taking app. After having used the Edge, I am led to believe the issues with Wacom on eInk, are not inherent in hardware, but rather because of poorly designed software.

I am disappointed to read 1000S has had the edge problem for a long time - it really shouldn't exist; it is the same size as Edge's eInk. I really do hope IRex engineers can resolve this and other inking issues in the final release of their software, because I really like my IRex 800 as a portable little device with lots of potential.
sordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
It's not universal among e-ink devices with Wacom. On my eDGe I only get weirdness when the stylus gets within about half a centimetre from the left edge of the screen. The rest of the screen is trouble-free, though accuracy is still difficult with the finest brush size. (The eDGe refreshes the e-ink for drawing quite a bit faster than the DR800, which does help a lot.)

I wonder if the accuracy issue has to do with the Wacom layer being further from the contact point of the stylus than with other devices. It's behind the glass and the e-ink screen. Is that thickness significantly more than with laptops?
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Regarding the comments about the eDGe, you're both talking about the eInk side, not the tablet side, right?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Regarding the comments about the eDGe, you're both talking about the eInk side, not the tablet side, right?
Yes. The LCD side is a typical resistive touch screen, not a Wacom.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Yes. The LCD side is a typical resistive touch screen, not a Wacom.
It's interesting that the eDGe refresh rate is significantly faster. I would have expected that to be limited more by eInk than anything specific to the device.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I wish this problem is solved at the next firmware update by iRex staffs.. Could it be?
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote