Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
bubulac
bubulac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Problem with Russian formats

Hi,
I have a Sony 505, I used the PRSCustomizer in order to be able to read Russian books.
However, I have problems with some of the formats. When I tried to open books in the epub format, the device crashed (restarted). When I tried to open rtf files, the text appeared as a mumbo-jumbo of incomprehensible characters.
Did I do any mistake anywhere when I used the customizer?
(I was able to open Russian books in the lrf format, also no problems with pdfs)
Thanks, :-)
bubulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you convert to ePub, you can embed a Russian font quite easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
bubulac

The Russian book WAS downloaded in epub format, but the reader just crashed when I tried to open the book. The same happened with other Russian books in the epub format.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The answer is: don't download the Russian books in EPUB format. Those books that you download in EPUB format don't have embedded fonts in them, and they cannot be read by the Adobe software on the reader.

Download books in FB2 format, then convert them to EPUB using good tools.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
bubulac

That makes sense, thanks, porkupan.
In the mean time I found out that I can use Calibre to convert Russian epub files to lrf.
However, I still don't understand why the Russian rtf files (which are readable in Word) do appear as a mess on the Sony 505, even though I am supposed to have the Russian support.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If these Russian ePub do not have DRm, convert them to ePub using Calibre and then you can embed the Russian font(s) and read on your Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
bubulac

So I just convert ePub to ePub in Calibre?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubulac View Post
However, I still don't understand why the Russian rtf files (which are readable in Word) do appear as a mess on the Sony 505, even though I am supposed to have the Russian support.
Russian RTF files are in Win 1251 encoding, they are not Unicode. That is one problem. Let's say, you have some flavor of firmware that supports 1251. Even then there is a problem if there are pictures in the RTF files. Pictures are not supported in RTF, and the pictures in the "library" RTFs can royally mess up your Reader.

My advice, download FB2 and convert it to LRF or EPUB, and you will not have problems, and you will have the pictures too.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote