Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
veezer
veezer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Replacing lost Kindle 2, should I get 2 or 1?

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately I ended up losing my Kindle 2 (left it behind in a plane), and now I've been debating what model I should get to replace it. Originally, I thought the DX was the way to go, but it just seems too bulky for everyday use, and out of stock for a long time now too. So now, I'm debating whether I should get a brand-new Kindle 2, or go back to the Kindle 1 for much cheaper. I've had both devices, and I was kind of regretting my upgrade to the 2 for the following reasons:

Why I didn't like the K2:
1. The lack of SD card -- it used to be an easy way to transfer files when you forgot the usb cable, when your laptop has a built-in card reader
2. The noisy buttons -- the next button is way too noisy with an audible click, esp at night when my wife is trying to sleep. I actually preferred the old K1 style mushier, larger, and easier to hit buttons. I really didn't have an issue with accidental key presses.
3. Keyboard -- the buttons are too firm to type fast, and too slippery to type without looking at the keyboard. I could type much faster and more accurately with the separated angled keys on the K1
4. Shape -- I really liked the non-symmetrical shape of the K1; it just felt more comfortable. I sometimes found myself shifting the K2 around in my hands because for some reason (even though it's lighter) it just felt harder to hold (perhaps the thinness?)
5. Power button -- it's so finicky the time you need to hold it, before it turns off completely. Usually it just ends up going to sleep, which really annoys me when I'm trying to maximize battery life. I much preferred the hard switch on the K1

Of course, I also have reasons why I like the K2:
1. Faster page flips -- this was nice, but not that compelling for me, since I was pretty good at timing my flips with my reading speed on the K1
2. Graphics look nice -- the 16-shades of grey were cool, but on reflection, not that useful for reading text.
3. USB charging -- this was pretty nice, since it can charge over the micro-usb. However, I ended up getting a charger-over-usb cable for the K1, so I think I can live without this.

So, what do people here think? If you had to pick between the K2 and the K1 now, knowing everything you do, and the price difference was around $100, what would you do?

Last edited by veezer; 07-02-2009 at 03:07 PM.
veezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, I have both K1 and K2, so luckily I don't have to make a choice. It seems very clear to me that you want another K1, so go for it.

BTW, my K2 buttons are not noisy but I have read reports of some people who also had that issue.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What you are looking for is a Silver Sony PRS-505, available now at Target.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Don't listen to the bug (it's A BUG!).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Don't listen to the bug (it's A BUG!).
By Jiminy, it's a laughing duck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Sounds like the K1 was a better fit for you and the prices I'm seeing on Craigslist and eBay are pretty compelling. I saw one for $150 the other day.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
K1 will be obsolete before long. Go for the K2! Then again, if you are one of those who would prefer an analog TV, 8-track (with quadraphonic sound) and a Ford Pinto...well then a K1 is for you. Just joking! Do the eanie-meanie-minie-moe thing...or Magic 8-Ball!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
unrepentant K1 user here. I dearly love mine and wouldn't upgrade even if they offered one for free.

Seriously.

Any improvements they made was offset by the lack of SD card slot and non replaceable battery. To me it was a huge step backwards.

But........remember. Thats just my opinion. You need to decide which one would best fit you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
K1 will be obsolete before long. Go for the K2! Then again, if you are one of those who would prefer an analog TV, 8-track (with quadraphonic sound) and a Ford Pinto...well then a K1 is for you. Just joking! Do the eanie-meanie-minie-moe thing...or Magic 8-Ball!
Seriously, the K2 and DX share many features -- and can use the same accessories - like the charging cable. And have similar menus of features.

The K1 is perfectly functional - but if I was Amazon - what is my motivation to continue developing/updating its firmware, supplying replacements for damaged units, etc. And if I am a developer, what is my motivation to continue making accessories or software apps to enhance its use? If this is a major monetary purchase for you, for the long run, the K2 is probably the better choice.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
unrepentant K1 user here. I dearly love mine and wouldn't upgrade even if they offered one for free.

Seriously.

Any improvements they made was offset by the lack of SD card slot and non replaceable battery. To me it was a huge step backwards.

But........remember. Thats just my opinion. You need to decide which one would best fit you.
I agree with this point, and it sounds like you miss your K1. On the plus side, you'll be able to find one cheap.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
BTW, keep your eyes open for both K1 & K2 can be found relatively cheap.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

You can get a K1 from ebay for $100.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
veezer
veezer began at the beginning.

Can't say I've seen any on ebay that sold for less than $200 (K1). My other debate is, no matter what I buy, I'll probably want to upgrade to the K3 (or whatever it ends up being called) whenever it comes out. I'd be kind of annoyed if I bought a K2 now and in 6 months there was a new model :-)

I think I've convinced myself to buy a refurb K1. Thanks for all your responses!
veezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Get K1. Save money and enjoy stability.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If you think you've just got to support Amazon's screwy book business then go for the K1 & keep Whispernet turned off (to keep their crippling updates off your K1).

But if you want a really good ebook reader, buy an EZ Reader.

BTW, I can identify with you, having lost my first EZ Reader & now replaced it with a new blue EZ Reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote